Cove v Mighty Mo

Rearranged fixture under the lights at Balmoral is something both sets of fans will be looking forward to I'm sure. Mo should travel in good numbers even though it's a Tuesday night.

Level on points and with 1 win a piece against each other so far in all competitions it should be evenly and fiercely contested.

We've hit a bit of form winning the last 4, clean sheets in our last 3 and unbeaten in the last 7. All that without looking imperious or the finished article by any means. Fyvie has turned our style of play and fortunes around almost single handedly with some credit going to Hartley for attracting Mikey Doyle who looks a strong addition at RB, an area of the park we were woefully short at. Yule back improves us and is building game on game. Aussie Suman looks a brilliant find.

We're still not the team of 2 years ago sadly. Mitch is waning; once could be a match winner all on his own, now looks half a yard off it, struggling to get shots away saying that he's still got something to give. Only 2 goals from open play in the league so far. Was always good for 20 a season now less so. His partner Rors, who did us wonders and less so Mo, is well gone and the supreme talent of Harry Milne was never replaced.

Mo fighting back for a point on Saturday against Annan in a match many would have predicted for a home win. 6 wins, 1 draw and 3 losses (Falkirk, Raith, Accies) in the last 10 in all competitions is strong form. Only failed to score in 1 of that run with 22 GF and 16 GA. Suspect our run of clean sheets ends here but fancy us to get on the scoresheet too.

Petrie has added well relatively late on with Miller Thompson a real prospect and livewire alongside CB Luke Graham. Kerr regaining match sharpness will contribute positively as games go on. 

Mo missing Masson's ability to break up play in the middle of the park? Midfield does look very offensive but clearly doing a not bad job of working backwards too.

Hard to call this one, Hartley did say we might need to rotate as "a couple came out with niggles" but should have the hallmarks of a great game.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Not sure about this one, my expectations aren't high. Cove batted us away fairly easily at LP, but they were very slack in the cup game and we picked them off. Would happily take a point here and focus on the cup, because that's the game I'd prefer to see us win TBQHWY.

Since the Mo lost to Cove in August, we have only lost in the League to Hamilton (twice) and Falkirk (just).

On that basis, and given that the team will be wanting to atone for an under-par performance vs Annan on Saturday, I'm going for either a draw or (hopeful) away win.

Also expect to see some/all of the 'rested' players back in the side - Dillon, Brown and maybe Webster.

2 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Rearranged fixture under the lights at Balmoral is something both sets of fans will be looking forward to I'm sure. Mo should travel in good numbers even though it's a Tuesday night.

Level on points and with 1 win a piece against each other so far in all competitions it should be evenly and fiercely contested.

We've hit a bit of form winning the last 4, clean sheets in our last 3 and unbeaten in the last 7. All that without looking imperious or the finished article by any means. Fyvie has turned our style of play and fortunes around almost single handedly with some credit going to Hartley for attracting Mikey Doyle who looks a strong addition at RB, an area of the park we were woefully short at. Yule back improves us and is building game on game. Aussie Suman looks a brilliant find.

We're still not the team of 2 years ago sadly. Mitch is waning; once could be a match winner all on his own, now looks half a yard off it, struggling to get shots away saying that he's still got something to give. Only 2 goals from open play in the league so far. Was always good for 20 a season now less so. His partner Rors, who did us wonders and less so Mo, is well gone and the supreme talent of Harry Milne was never replaced.

Mo fighting back for a point on Saturday against Annan in a match many would have predicted for a home win. 6 wins, 1 draw and 3 losses (Falkirk, Raith, Accies) in the last 10 in all competitions is strong form. Only failed to score in 1 of that run with 22 GF and 16 GA. Suspect our run of clean sheets ends here but fancy us to get on the scoresheet too.

Petrie has added well relatively late on with Miller Thompson a real prospect and livewire alongside CB Luke Graham. Kerr regaining match sharpness will contribute positively as games go on. 

Mo missing Masson's ability to break up play in the middle of the park? Midfield does look very offensive but clearly doing a not bad job of working backwards too.

Hard to call this one, Hartley did say we might need to rotate as "a couple came out with niggles" but should have the hallmarks of a great game.

Should be a very good game indeed Cove on paper are a right good side and like you have said turned the corner now.

Montrose looking alot better than we were at the start of the season,Miller Thompson been a great find and we are very lucky to have him.For me Montrose are still a bit weak in midfield plenty of attacking options but no one now that's going to put a good few tackles in and break up play which I think we miss.

Looking forward to it though a game under the lights at Balmoral...Happy days!!

23 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Should be a very good game indeed Cove on paper are a right good side and like you have said turned the corner now.

Montrose looking alot better than we were at the start of the season,Miller Thompson been a great find and we are very lucky to have him.For me Montrose are still a bit weak in midfield plenty of attacking options but no one now that's going to put a good few tackles in and break up play which I think we miss.

Looking forward to it though a game under the lights at Balmoral...Happy days!!

Was Miller signed as a season long loan or until January? 

We've strung some results together but still have something to prove. Like Mo, playoffs is realistically the best we are going to get this season and then it's hope of finding form at the right time and see where it takes us or not.

I'll be at LP a week on Tuesday for the game against Falkirk so a couple of midweek games upcoming which I'm happy about.

38 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Was Miller signed as a season long loan or until January? 

We've strung some results together but still have something to prove. Like Mo, playoffs is realistically the best we are going to get this season and then it's hope of finding form at the right time and see where it takes us or not.

I'll be at LP a week on Tuesday for the game against Falkirk so a couple of midweek games upcoming which I'm happy about.

Yeah just here until January but I reckon we will get him for the rest of the season especially if DUFC keep winning.

Be a good game Tuesday really looking forward to it both teams on a good run of form.

Another 1-0 win which is clearly welcome but that was as even a match as you can get. Montrose deserving of a draw and on another night could have got the first goal and bagged all 3 points.

Mo dominated the second half and looked the only team who would score. We looked content at trying to absorb pressure something which I was convinced would come back and bite us. You couldn't see the difference between PT and FT there. 

I agree with @Watson Nimrod in that the wins are somewhat papering over the cracks, we still look a bit disjointed and this squad is really distinctly average in a lot of positions. We (Cove), as is, would get swatted to the side by any team in the Championship. 

First off it has to be said that Mo deserved a draw tonight. I thought we were average at best and the difference again was Fraser Fyvie. This isn’t a dig at Mo but if we had tried to play out defending a slim lead against either of the top 2 we would have been severely punished. Just how we managed to hold out I will never know……… that all said a win is a win. 

So the positives… well 3 more points and staking a real claim now to push for 2nd. I don’t think Hamilton are as good as Falkirk and they should be our target now. Burrell ran for everything and took his goal well. Dare I say it he would be our main striker ahead of Mitch now. Fraser was assured as Captain and when he went off our organisation dipped. We are still woefully short in certain areas and a LB is required. Jones isn’t the man for me. We also have very little coming off the bench despite the array of summer signings. 

38 minutes ago, Watson Nimrod said:

First off it has to be said that Mo deserved a draw tonight. I thought we were average at best and the difference again was Fraser Fyvie. This isn’t a dig at Mo but if we had tried to play out defending a slim lead against either of the top 2 we would have been severely punished. Just how we managed to hold out I will never know……… that all said a win is a win. 

So the positives… well 3 more points and staking a real claim now to push for 2nd. I don’t think Hamilton are as good as Falkirk and they should be our target now. Burrell ran for everything and took his goal well. Dare I say it he would be our main striker ahead of Mitch now. Fraser was assured as Captain and when he went off our organisation dipped. We are still woefully short in certain areas and a LB is required. Jones isn’t the man for me. We also have very little coming off the bench despite the array of summer signings. 

Agreed. Nothing between the sides on the night. Williamson missed a golden opportunity first half but so did Kane. Second half was a one way street for long spells and a few last ditch tackles and blocks saved us. 

Fyvie has wide shoulders and is clearly a class player in L1. More a captain and organiser than Mitch is . Carrying us at times. McGowan adding very little. Jones is so average, we need a commanding CB too.

Burrell wasn't as effective as against Accies but played his part and has a knack of getting on the scoresheet. Thought we missed Mitch tonight. For me he partners better with Rumarn than Scott who looks very raw and not first choice material.

Hamilton's recruitment was far superior to ours this summer. There's a gap there and it shows right now in the league table. It'll take several stellar signings to chase down 2nd and unfortunately for us Hartley makes the signings. 

As @Watson Nimrod and @CoveRangers1922 previously said Fraser Fyvie is a class act no doubt about it ran the show and everything went through that man in the midfield area.I said earlier I thought we were a bit light weight in midfield but last night I couldn't fault any player on the pitch and too come away with nothing after that level of a Performance in the second half is sickening.

After listening to SP interview right after the game I get what he was trying to do ,see the half out and see if Kerr had a chance of coming back on bit unfortunately it didn't work like that and ultimately we lost a goal right on HT with 10 men.Would they have scored with Kerr/Luke on the pitch and an extra body in the box....who knows but for me they should have had Luke on straight away.

Have to say that second half  probably the best I've seen Montrose spray the ball about in a long time everyone looked up for it and extremely fit.Special mention to Ali Shrive who grew more and more I to the game over the 90mins and for his first start in a good while against a very good team he did himself proud.Another player who has been great after getting a run of games is Cammy Gill very happy with what I've seen from this lad looks assured and came up with a big save again in the first half.

We move on now.....Still loads of games to go and Like SP said if we can reach that level of performance we will be up at the right end of the table.

9 hours ago, PortyMo said:

As said, thought we deserved a draw. Annoying to lose the goal in stoppage time when down to 10 men. Looked like a well rehearsed move from the corner leading to the goal. The ref never done us much favours either. 

from a corner that clearly should have been awarded as a goalkick!!

1 hour ago, broomiesniper said:

from a corner that clearly should have been awarded as a goalkick!!

As I was standing where the ball went out, I can confirm that Lyons did have the last touch, so a corner was the correct decision.

I think the antics of those on the touchline/pitch at the HT whistle, were more due to the fact that they knew they had made a howler, by not getting a defender on prior to the corner. With Waddell being quite injury prone, why take the chance that we could see it out to HT and then assess the situation? 

Forget about last night and move on....

January for me we need 2-3 players in for one we need a ball winner in the mould of Terry Masson in the middle of the park also someone to help Kane,when he goes off we are left with Batchelor(Not good enough at the minute) and Paul Watson make shift striker we need someone else up top with a bit of quality.

3 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Forget about last night and move on....

January for me we need 2-3 players in for one we need a ball winner in the mould of Terry Masson in the middle of the park also someone to help Kane,when he goes off we are left with Batchelor(Not good enough at the minute) and Paul Watson make shift striker we need someone else up top with a bit of quality.

Key to January is keeping hold of Miller Thomson, he is such a talent.  Not sure how long it'll be for Towler to return to action, is it worth cancelling that loan deal and bring in a central  midfielder on loan..............Cammy F Ballantyne anyone?