Ross County's Next Permanent Manager 23/24 Edition

Who will be Ross County's next permanent manager?  

279 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think one factor that's also different between what Martindale did and what Mackay did is that his texts were directly related to football - he was talking to his agent and scouting mates about players he was looking to sign and other people involved in football.  If Martindale had been using a football club to launder money, if he'd been selling drugs out of the social club of the team he'd played for at the time etc then I think people would be less forgiving and willing to involve him in football.

18 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Of course it is without context, but the clear difference is that Martindale has been very open and honest about his guilt, never tried to pass responsibility, tried to use his past to educate and help others. Mackay never actually apologised, has never shown any sort of remorse, and after an allegation of racist abuse at Tannadice he came straight out with "it never happened", when he'd have absolutely no idea if that was the case. It wasn't just jokes you'd find on Reddit either, it was abuse about people he worked with - and responsible for - that he specifically named. Just some harmless private texts though.

If, after taking that into account, you still can't see why one is applauded while the other shunned, you're beyond help.

Did find it a bit weird that there were a few new RC supporting accounts joining after Malky was appointed who seemed desperate to make that connection. Hopefully a sensible (but shite) appointment on the way so that the normal fans can get back to enjoying going to the football.

In Mackay's defence (words I never thought I'd write!), he did apologise. He did a grovelling interview with Sky Sports the same week the texts were originally leaked.

However, his initial response had been to dismiss them as "friendly text message banter". When that went down as catastrophically as you'd expect, he did the Sky interview and changed tack - it was blatant crisis management. At that point and ever since he's never actually appeared sorry for anything other than getting caught. He clearly has a massive chip on his shoulder about Vincent Tan releasing them in the first place.

He could have gone down the Martindale route and shown leadership but he chose not to. As far as he was concerned it was in the past, he'd apologised and we should all move on. If Martindale had done that he'd have been similarly coldly received. The difference between the two is quite obvious, and those holding it up as an argument know that well enough.

When given another chance to respond instantly to allegations of racism (albeit not at him this time), he started on some nonsense about asking where Tam Courts got the t-shirt from. Anyone who'd absorbed an ounce of the training he's apparently been on or understands basic PR would have known that was a ludicrous line to take, especially with his history, which suggests to me he's not changed at all.

Very glad he's gone, and hopefully now the club can appoint someone who isn't so divisive (which shouldn't be hard).

9 hours ago, forkboy said:

Yes, & he went to jail for it, he pled guilty & did his time. A whole massive part of our legal system is premised on the principal of rehabilitation, if you don't think Martindale can or even should be given the chance to rehabilitate then that's...well, bonkers but it's a view I guess. Without it the system simply doesn't work, what's someone just out of prison meant to do on release? Just go & do more crime to get by? Seems counterproductive. Are there a list of jobs that ex-cons shouldn't be allowed to do? 

The key thing is Martindale has very publicly owned up to his past shitty decisions & as far as I can see doesn't really minimise it. Whereas Malky Mackay has never been remotely that transparent. It matters. It's the difference between learning from a fuckup & improving yourself or just feeling embarrassed you got caught.

I've done & said dumb shit I'm not remotely proud of when I was younger, but you look back on it & you see where you've fucked up & you own up to it & try to be better. Publicly, & that's all I can judge Mackay on as I lack the ability of reading minds, he has not done that. It's not about jumping on someone when they f**k up, it's about how they react to the f**k up. (Obviously it'd be better if they didn't sell coke & launder cash for a gang or send bigoted texts or whatever else in the first place, but moot point)

Yep, we've all done and said things when we were younger that we prob regret. And if you' were born in a certain era it was pretty much the norm, there was even tv programs using racist and homophobic language and everyone laughing watching it, thinking it was funny, football fans chanted all sorts of language to slag off a players, calling their sexual persuasion into question for derogative purposes.  There was a program on about the 70's that made me cringe watching how racist and homophobic tv was back then. That was then though, and this is now, but sadly some people just haven't moved on from those dark times and enlightened themselves enough to see how horrific that thinking is. Anyone born during that time that didn't fit into what society deemed 'normal', must've had a nightmare of a time living with the prejudice society back then, there will have been some committed suicide from the guilt and shame society put on them, suffered physical and mental abuse, it's disgusting that some people still hold those views and can't see how damaging they are.

Comparing drug dealing to that seems like trying to minimalize what Malky did, and deflect away from it, which funnily enough brings us back to why people haven't forgiven him, he doesn't seem to have shown any contrition for it, come out and owned up to what he did as embarrassing and shameful, learnt from it and admitted how bad it was, and by doing an interview showing his remorse, owning his guilt,  maybe, just maybe, other like minded people hearing him could help change their attitudes and become more accepting.

48 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yep, we've all done and said things when we were younger that we prob regret. And if you' were born in a certain era it was pretty much the norm, there was even tv programs using racist and homophobic language and everyone laughing watching it, thinking it was funny, football fans chanted all sorts of language to slag off a players, calling their sexual persuasion into question for derogative purposes.  There was a program on about the 70's that made me cringe watching how racist and homophobic tv was back then. That was then though, and this is now, but sadly some people just haven't moved on from those dark times and enlightened themselves enough to see how horrific that thinking is. Anyone born during that time that didn't fit into what society deemed 'normal', must've had a nightmare of a time living with the prejudice society back then, there will have been some committed suicide from the guilt and shame society put on them, suffered physical and mental abuse, it's disgusting that some people still hold those views and can't see how damaging they are.

Comparing drug dealing to that seems like trying to minimalize what Malky did, and deflect away from it, which funnily enough brings us back to why people haven't forgiven him, he doesn't seem to have shown any contrition for it, come out and owned up to what he did as embarrassing and shameful, learnt from it and admitted how bad it was, and by doing an interview showing his remorse, owning his guilt,  maybe, just maybe, other like minded people hearing him could help change their attitudes and become more accepting.

That’s a fair take on it. I find it difficult discuss these things like grown ups without being called a racist or a “terrible person” by someone like @RandomGuy..

Being willing to discuss the extent and restorative justice required from Mackays transgression does not make you a racist. 

Anyway, I’m boring myself. Let’s get a new man in, onwards and upwards.

Edited by Pete the Jakey

58 minutes ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

Means nothing until they are spotted in Wimpy, that's where all the great County deals are concluded. 

He was tossing up between County Kebab and Renato’s. Went for the latter upon local recommendations. No mention of the Wimpy though.

1 hour ago, Matty-RCFC said:

He was tossing up between County Kebab and Renato’s. Went for the latter upon local recommendations. No mention of the Wimpy though.

He didn't speak to anyone about Grill'd Bazaar then.

1 hour ago, Matty-RCFC said:

We don’t have a Max’s 2 or Lettuce Eat to attract the Fergusons of this world. 

8 minutes ago, RiG said:

image.png.b413e9d129c36919e838957f176ed62b.png

sensible-chuckle.gif

Almost none of those “reactions” are in the level.   Somebody genuinely just texted me to say it’ll be Martindale, FYI. 

Neilson would’ve been a good shout if he hadn’t just got a job, Dodds is completely laughable he was sacked along with macintyre as assistant here then also sacked by caley who are a league below us. The mind boggles how some folk can come to these conclusions