Euro 2024 Draw (Saturday 2nd December 5pm)

Hendricks

2 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

I agree, but I also really hope we don't wander blindly down the "they're old, don't have the legs anymore" path like we did Vs Croatia at the last Euros (and Peru '78).

Bang on, Modric and Cubillas were never known for their blistering pace.  And we'll need the 'international' McTominay as opposed to the 'club' version.

6 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

I agree, but I also really hope we don't wander blindly down the "they're old, don't have the legs anymore" path like we did Vs Croatia at the last Euros (and Peru '78).

Average age of the team is probably younger than Scotlands now. Part of the problem is the younger guys aren’t good enough yet. That and the fact Yakin is a very average manager who manages to get less than the sum of its parts out of the team quite often.

Aye, the opening ceremony. At least the players should be shielded from it. Perhaps the Tartan Army can outsing allthe 'And now the pigeon of sporting friendship and the dove of peace rise from the dancers who symbolise the youth of the world...' guff.

Fair play to UEFA, teeing up the eventual champions of Euro 2024 against the hosts in the opening game.

In all seriousness, mixed bag. Germany is the weakest pot 1 team but Hungary wasn't the best pot 2 outcome, albeit beatable. Similarly the Swiss from pot 4.

Playing the opening game will be some laugh like, fair play.

I don't know the format or if it's possible but I think the likely outcome is that we finish 3rd but aren't one of the best placed finishers.

Perhaps with the first round now offering more opportunities for those that finish in third place we can sneak through to the last 16 like Northern Ireland did in 2016.

However, I don't see much of a change in either skill or attitude that suggests we'll make much of an impact at Euro24 than we have at any other finals that we've reached.

Just now, Richey Edwards said:

When are the hosts announced? They have not announced who is hosting this Euros yet.

That big pishy mascot brought out a ball with Germany's name inside. Does that count?

3 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Fair play to UEFA, teeing up the eventual champions of Euro 2024 against the hosts in the opening game.

In all seriousness, mixed bag. Germany is the weakest pot 1 team but Hungary wasn't the best pot 2 outcome, albeit beatable. Similarly the Swiss from pot 4.

Playing the opening game will be some laugh like, fair play.

Agreed. Hungary is really the only slip up.

I’m not convinced Switzerland are any better than Poland/Wales/Ukraine/Greece/Serbia. And definitely below Italy.

The 4th seeds are stronger than many of the 2nd. 

Had Israel not ended up playing 4 games in a week and a half, Switzerland would probably be in the playoffs right now.

4 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

Does anyone remember the clash at euro 92.

We absolutely hammered them on shots on target, corners etc beat them in every department except goals

Yes.....I was in the ground 🤣

4 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I don't know the format or if it's possible but I think the likely outcome is that we finish 3rd but aren't one of the best placed finishers.

Perhaps with the first round now offering more opportunities for those that finish in third place we can sneak through to the last 16 like Northern Ireland did in 2016.

However, I don't see much of a change in either skill or attitude that suggests we'll make much of an impact at Euro24 than we have at any other finals that we've reached.

With respect, utter pish. 

5 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

That's the spirit.

Tough, but doable group.

Germany are a mess, Hungary and Switzerland are both disciplined, hard working sides with a scattering of good to very good players. This could be a very low scoring group.

2 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I hope to be proven wrong but I still think we have issues in the goalkeeping position, central defence and up front that will be exposed at this level.

In essence, the only goals we’ve conceded in the last year have been with second/third choices in those positions.

I’ll grant you the striker, but as we know, we don’t require the same things of a striker that you would if we had Lewandowski or Kane.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm