Euro 2024 Draw (Saturday 2nd December 5pm)

Hendricks

1 hour ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Do you have put in your passport number before you buy tickets on UEFA?

A random one with the right number of digits is fine. I'm not even sure if it has to be the right number of digits, and nobody will ever check at the stadium, whatever they say about Serie A.

Edited by welshbairn

20 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's a bucket list thing for me, I've already spent far more than sanity would allow. My excuse is that I spent nothing on Qatar, I've no interest in the Mexico/US/Canada WC, the 2028 euros will be at home, and the 2030 WC will be across Africa, Europe and South America just to excuse Saudi Arabia for snatching 2034, by which time I'll probably be dead. Germany in the summer is about the best place in the world to hold a festival of football, I intend to be there.

I get that entirely. Its why I may well pay €1,200 for two opening game tickets if I got the chance. Its memories of a lifetime.

I'd happily go the the US if we get there but its far less likely. Chances of us qualifying AND opening it are miniscule.

59 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

We all get a bit carried away with this stuff and spend way too much money, but it's worth bearing in mind that spending 900 euros on a football game means ripping up a tenner every minute. It's utterly mental.

Nothing to me. I've mentioned it on here a few times, but I still get the feeling that a lot of people don't realise just how salaried I am.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

But apparently they don't check it (it would be impossible to check the passport number of every single fan against their ticket if you wanted to let everyone in on time, especially as the stewards are most likely similar to the ones we have here, i.e. poorly paid folk who want to get through their shift with a minimum of hassle).

I dont currently have a passport so that would have been problematic.  Will be applying for one in the new year though 

2 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

I dont currently have a passport so that would have been problematic.  Will be applying for one in the new year though 

Especially since you need one to get to Germany 

38 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Most of my experience of it is in Serie B, but obviously those are diddy attendances. Generally, it's the police checking them before you get that close to the turnstiles. A bit like how searching people before games doesn't really cause delays, you just need more staff.

Can concur with this. When I took in an AC MIlan game, security to get in was three layers deep and even kids were showing some sort of I.D. document that reminded me of the old British visitor's passports. It was all done pretty efficiently, though.

The folk writing off Switzerland based on qualifying might like to remember that they were cruising through their group until the halfway point, after which things went sour.

Hopefully it's the start of a downturn, considering the teams they were struggling against, but they've made it out of the group stage of the last five tournaments so it'll be very fortuitous timing for us. I'd be concerned if they got back to something approaching their usual form.

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

The folk writing off Switzerland based on qualifying might like to remember that they were cruising through their group until the halfway point, after which things went sour.

Hopefully it's the start of a downturn, considering the teams they were struggling against, but they've made it out of the group stage of the last five tournaments so it'll be very fortuitous timing for us. I'd be concerned if they got back to something approaching their usual form.

It's obviously what Steve Clarke said, a well balanced group. It's difficult to predict who will qualify or who will disappoint. It will be a fight to get out of this group in my opinion even as a best third placed side.

5 hours ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

Steve Clarke being a proper miserable b*****d after that draw. Very hard to like him.

Very hard to like his reserved public persona you mean? I think most people would like him in real life away from the spotlight.

Playing in the opening game will be class, there’s been some brilliant opening games between World Cups and Euros over the years, and a few shock results too. Senegal beating France in the opening game of the 2002 World Cup I think, and did South Africa cause an upset the year they hosted it? 

Can still remember running home from school in 1998 when Scotland v Brazil was the opening game, think I was in Primary 4 at the time, and being naive enough to think we had a chance at winning. That Brazil team was iconic; Taffarel, Roberto Carlos, Cafu, Rivaldo, Dunga and R9, up against Tom Boyd and Colin Calderwood :lol: Mental that was 25 years ago. 

Whoever we got out of pot 1 was largely an irrelevance, take a good team and they'll gub everyone in the group, a poor team is vulnerable to everyone in the group. I think Hungary are the toughest or second toughest pot 2 side and Switzerland the second toughest pot 4 side, I think in any other group we'd be favourites for third at least but not in this one. 

13 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Whoever we got out of pot 1 was largely an irrelevance, take a good team and they'll gub everyone in the group, a poor team is vulnerable to everyone in the group. I think Hungary are the toughest or second toughest pot 2 side and Switzerland the second toughest pot 4 side, I think in any other group we'd be favourites for third at least but not in this one. 

I agree with this. The group's well balanced which is maybe going to work against us in qualifying. The weakest pot-1 team combined with good pot-2 and pot-4 team isn't optimal for qualifying on paper. We'll have to wait and see what happens, but we'll need to play very well in at least 2 of our 3 matches to get out of the group.

Edited by 2426255

26 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

I agree with most of that but Germany are struggling and will be under a tonne of pressure in the opener - I think we benefit from playing them cold in game 1 rather than in game 3 when they/we might be needing a win to qualify.  We have a chance to get a result for the ages and the players will know that.  On the other hand, both Hungary and the Swiss were tough draws from their respective pots as you said. Could have done with the diddy playoff winners.

Also, we really, really have to hope Gunn is fit and ready on 14/6 as the alternatives are a bit scary.

8 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

I agree with most of that but Germany are struggling and will be under a tonne of pressure in the opener - I think we benefit from playing them cold in game 1 rather than in game 3 when they/we might be needing a win to qualify.  We have a chance to get a result for the ages and the players will know that.  On the other hand, both Hungary and the Swiss were tough draws from their respective pots as you said. Could have done with the diddy playoff winners.

Also, we really, really have to hope Gunn is fit and ready on 14/6 as the alternatives are a bit scary.

If Gordon can regain his fitness, I'd be happy to have him between the sticks. By god he deserves it.

The thing I'm worried about is that there will be the best part of a billion eyes watching us against Germany. Robertson is probably the only player to experience the equivalent in a football match (champions league final). McTominay, Tierney, McGinn and McGregor have all played in big games, but nothing like this. Hopefully none of our players get overwhelmed by the occasion.

This is why having previous tournament experience is going to be so vital.