Aberdeen vs rangers

2 minutes ago, 1GregStewart said:

Why would we be going long and direct? That’s not how we won at the new teams slum, and it doesn’t suit that team, or indeed any current Aberdeen 11.

How do you think we played at Ibrox, out of interest?

I was there, and we definitely went long and most certainly direct plenty of times. That is completely fine, by the way - that seems to be the way to play against Rangers, or certainly was when Beale was there. We have mostly been at our best against better teams when we are content to concede possession up to a point, settle into a mid-block and then transition into our attacking players at pace, mostly with straight and long passes complemented with runners from wide and a midfield trying to create overloads where possible. 

12 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I was there, and we definitely went long and most certainly direct plenty of times. That is completely fine, by the way - that seems to be the way to play against Rangers, or certainly was when Beale was there. We have mostly been at our best against better teams when we are content to concede possession up to a point, settle into a mid-block and then transition into our attacking players at pace, mostly with straight and long passes complemented with runners from wide and a midfield trying to create overloads where possible. 

I think when people say direct they really mean aimlessly direct, which at times we have done this season.

Im with you, absolutely nothing wrong with being compact and playing direct and effective. It’s a simple common sense way of playing. 

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think when people say direct they really mean aimlessly direct, which at times we have done this season.

Im with you, absolutely nothing wrong with being compact and playing direct and effective. It’s a simple common sense way of playing. 

Yeah, I also think people think long and direct has to be high all the time, and that's not the case. We are a direct team, want to move box-to-box quickly, and have been since Robson came in. Robson is content to sacrifice possession precisely because he wants us to be a direct team. We were direct under McInnes too, and mostly benefited from it. Under the two managers between, less so. 

9 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Yeah, I also think people think long and direct has to be high all the time, and that's not the case. We are a direct team, want to move box-to-box quickly, and have been since Robson came in. Robson is content to sacrifice possession precisely because he wants us to be a direct team. We were direct under McInnes too, and mostly benefited from it. Under the two managers between, less so. 

Agreed - the bigger issue with robson is in the majority of games where it isn’t really clear what we’re trying to do. 

In these games we seem to have a pretty defined style which I think is a bigger win than what that style is, if that makes sense. 

40 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I was also there, fantastic day. We rode our luck first 25 when we just sat in and offered nothing and they could have had a couple of goals. 
we then seemed to grow into the game and I thought at times we passed the ball very well. 
Of course it was mainly on the counter and they tried to do this at speed so it is fairly direct play, but it wasn’t all long balls. 
We were most effective with 2/3 short quick passes out from our own box and then get the runners involved. Was also heartening that we got numbers forward. The goal with about 6 attempts before it went in being a great example with at least 5 if not 6 in the box. 
Was so happy for Jack McKenzie that day, I like him and love to see home grown players in the team. 

17 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Aye.

Nothing wrong with direct football. It depends how you play it.

Liverpool won the league playing direct. The difference is they played in to feet or in front of the wide player. We're tending to lump it on to the centre backs head.

23 hours ago, bennett said:

3 - 2 

We can't cope with players like Hayes and Shinnie crunching into tackles at 100 mph, also we're not streetwise enough to deal with cynical teams. 

Are they not both in their mid-30s now? 

Edited by gannonball

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Many twitter users furiously looking to see what school Maddison went to. 

I thought he was very reserved. He could have gone in studs up with both feet and say that it was the first ever meeting of the clubs.

These kick off times are an assault and shame on Scottish football for accepting them.

Having to hurry my Sunday morning coffee and rowie here for a fixture that always used to mean meeting in the pub a couple of a few hours before k.o.

As for the match - well there’s no “tired” excuse today, but their new manager looks like there’s a chance he may know what he’s doing. We’ll probably do well to get a point.

Edited by tarapoa

4 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

These kick off times are an assault and shame on Scottish football for accepting them.

Having to hurry my Sunday morning coffee and rowie here for a fixture that always used to mean meeting in the pub a couple of a few hours before k.o.

As for the match - well there’s no “tired” excuse today, but their new manager looks like there’s a chance he may know what he’s doing. We’ll probably do well to get a point.

If we look like getting a point, I have no doubt VAR will come to their rescue.

Not that I think there's a chance of a point here anyway.

23 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Could use the excuse that we had a lot of players away on International duty.

Going with European and rangers away, we are set up to have little of the ball and hit on the counter and it's worked very well although very unlucky in Europe. Hopefully Rangers are as bad as they was at Ibrox.