The Americanisation of UK culture

7 hours ago, CambieBud said:

Flew to America a few months ago. 9 hours without a cigarette, so was easily annoyed. The flight was made to sit on the tarmac for about 15 minutes before parking. The pilot tannoyed a message to apologise for the delay but we would deplane shortly. Ffs🤬

image.jpeg.bc646305674f6289051838822fd2cc16.jpeg

Oh and America is in reality a dreadful place. Spend any time there. And I mean time, not a two week holiday, then you'll realise that despite some great things there and some great people, it's generally no that great and certainly not the land of the free. 

Why a vast load of population here have a hard on for it is absolutely beyond me. 

1 hour ago, Trackdaybob said:

Oh and America is in reality a dreadful place. Spend any time there. And I mean time, not a two week holiday, then you'll realise that despite some great things there and some great people, it's generally no that great and certainly not the land of the free. 

Why a vast load of population here have a hard on for it is absolutely beyond me. 

What are these great things? 

I've been to New York and San Francisco, enjoyed them both, but as shit as Scotland supposedly is, can't think of a single thing that the US does better. 

1 hour ago, Lofarl said:

I caught myself saying aluminium that stupid way they pronounce it.  It's so fucking stupid that you keep saying it and think how the f**k can they say it that way.

Because they spell it that way.

I've never looked into why they spell it differently from us.

On 23/11/2023 at 16:46, Jives Miguel said:

Aloominum

4 hours ago, Lofarl said:

I caught myself saying aluminium that stupid way they pronounce it.  It's so fucking stupid that you keep saying it and think how the f**k can they say it that way.

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Because they spell it that way.

I've never looked into why they spell it differently from us.

“*The confusion over the aluminum/aluminium spelling arose because of some uncharacteristic indecisiveness on Humphrey Davy’s part. When he first isolated the element in 1808, he called it alumium. For some reason he thought better of that and changed it to aluminum four years later. Americans dutifully adopted the new term, but many British users disliked aluminum, pointing out that it disrupted the -ium pattern established by sodium, calcium, and strontium, so they added a vowel and syllable.”

Bill Bryson, A Short History of Nearly Everything