Annan Athletics managerial position

21 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

You're suggesting Dick Campbell resigned because of poor form and you believe Peter Murphy should do the same? Are you advocating Dick Campbell as Annan's next manager? 

If the answer to these questions is yes then you're needing a touch of realism here. Dick Campbell is 70 year old, has been around the Scottish game for years, has his own business and without wishing to sound ageist has probably managed his last football club. 

Peter Murphy on the other hand is making his way in the game and is not going to give up at Annan until he's forced out. He probably has financial commitments that managing Annan helps pay towards. If he keeps Annan 8th or 9th and wins the playoffs his CV will look much more appealing to other clubs

How you think I’m suggesting Dick Campbell is quite beyond me TBH. As far as. Murphy, you’re using the if word again.

21 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I never claimed it was working. But I doubt it would be any better if we brought training to Dumfries. The training facilities aren't the issue, it's the lack of decent wages. I doubt the cost of training in Hamilton is steep enough for us to get a better class of player if we moved training to Dumfries. The last time we did that (as far as I'm aware) was the Connolly era and we took in a shitload of players from south of the border. Those were the days when you could sign them at any time though. I doubt we'd have been promoted if we had transfer windows. We didn't exactly have a bag full of great quality from down there either. 

How do you suggest we nurture local talent though? A big chunk of our 'future stars' are now playing at Annan. Simply put, they weren't good enough for the Championship. You can't polish a turd. Any rare natural talent is quickly snapped up as well. 

If Queens and Annan were well backed then we may have a chance of better developing players but the reality is we won't pay great wages as we need it for the first team and there's little in the way of work for part-time players down here either.  

Moxon was one of those turds ? I just dont believe to potential talent is not around. You mention money as a stumbling block ( of course very important) maybe youth coaches are an issue ? QOS U18 SEEM TO BE DOING FINE.

1 hour ago, annan4eva said:

How you think I’m suggesting Dick Campbell is quite beyond me TBH. As far as. Murphy, you’re using the if word again.

You started the thread talking about Dick Campbell and I used the if word talking about him.

Yes I'm using the word 'if' in relation to Murphy because the season isn't finished. There's also no guarantee Annan would stay up by changing managers, sometimes consistency is best. 

Out of interest how do you think Annan should be performing this season? 

2 hours ago, annan4eva said:

QOS U18 SEEM TO BE DOING FINE.

What is the actual point you’re making here?

Being good at under 18 level doesn’t mean that someone will make it as a professional or even good part time level, and a good batch of young players doesn’t mean that there’s loads of players in the local area good enough to play for Annan right now. 

3 hours ago, annan4eva said:

Moxon was one of those turds ? I just dont believe to potential talent is not around. You mention money as a stumbling block ( of course very important) maybe youth coaches are an issue ? QOS U18 SEEM TO BE DOING FINE.

An exception to the rule unfortunately (though one I always thought he had potential. Naysmith let him go too soon). You say Moxon and I'll say Smith, Hooper, Goss, Muir, Lussint, Brotherston, Gourlay, Dunn... and a shitload more that I've missed/the ones that will undoubtedly leave us this season either for Annan or even lower. 

The coaching won't be as good for the same reason players won't come IMO. How many Annan players live further afield than Dumfries out of interest? 

The U18's doing well is good and hopefully they kick on. But as has been said, it doesn't mean they'll develop or be good enough for the first team. 

17 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

An exception to the rule unfortunately (though one I always thought he had potential. Naysmith let him go too soon). You say Moxon and I'll say Smith, Hooper, Goss, Muir, Lussint, Brotherston, Gourlay, Dunn... and a shitload more that I've missed/the ones that will undoubtedly leave us this season either for Annan or even lower. 

The coaching won't be as good for the same reason players won't come IMO. How many Annan players live further afield than Dumfries out of interest? 

The U18's doing well is good and hopefully they kick on. But as has been said, it doesn't mean they'll develop or be good enough for the first team. 

No it doesn’t but if clubs like Annan QOS consistently produce good youth teams ( at various levels ) a strong  U18 squad should yield 3/4 players per season capable of challenging for 1st / reserve team places.