Annan VS Accies

This fixture was always going to be a potential banana skin due to what has happened at Annan in the past and it couldn't come at a worse time for us after Saturday's embarrassment and it wouldn't shock me one bit if we dropped points here. Annan did have to play 120 minutes yesterday so that might help us however if we play with the lack of fight as we did on Saturday then we will get beat. Anything other than a win here then Rankin can't survive and I can imagine it will get quite toxic if we fail to win this game. I predict another poor performance but we will manage to scrape a win Annan 0-1 Accies.

Massive game tbh.

With Falkirk having a testing trip to Links Park I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if we were top of the league tonight, but i'd be equally unsurprised if we are 6 behind.

I have no confidence in Rankin commanding a reaction from Saturday.

Wonder which fan(s) Daz will be arguing with later.

On 26/11/2023 at 14:28, Ian Mcleod said:

... Anything other than a win here then Rankin can't survive and I can imagine it will get quite toxic if we fail to win this game ...

I might have said this before but ... isn't this just a tad over the top?  I mean, you're second top and only a win behind Falkirk and you're virtually guaranteed at least a play off spot for a shot at promotion.  In what parallel universe does that represent failure?  In contrast consider my lot, third bottom, can't buy a win (outside of cups) and staring the ultimate drop into oblivion in the face if we don't get our act together.  There's real pressure on Bartley - hardly equivalent for Rankin.

5 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

I might have said this before but ... isn't this just a tad over the top?  I mean, you're second top and only a win behind Falkirk and you're virtually guaranteed at least a play off spot for a shot at promotion.  In what parallel universe does that represent failure?  In contrast consider my lot, third bottom, can't buy a win (outside of cups) and staring the ultimate drop into oblivion in the face if we don't get our act together.  There's real pressure on Bartley - hardly equivalent for Rankin.

No not really. Rankin got a squad relegated last season that, whilst it wasn't great, should have been capable of staying up ahead of Cove and Arbroath.

A few games in January / February and winning the cup papered over his tactical and player management failures.

A shot at going up through the playoffs is all but built in by the money we've spent on the squad. Anything less than winning the league represents failure this season.

9 minutes ago, Zaltan said:

is that three games in a row that Hamilton has had a red card

Yes.

Kilday sent off against Raith in SPFL Trophy

Longridge sent off on Saturday against Kelty in Scottish Cup

Kilday sent off again tonight at Annan

I assume Kilday will miss Saturday? An Hamilton win and a good defender out for the weekend. A decent night for ourselves*. 

* Not that I think we'll have much of a chance with Kilday being out/it's very depressing we were looking for a Hamilton win here and not an Annan one. 

An excellent win tonight from the players. The way some of the Annan players acted tonight was embarrassing especially that clown Gibson would be no shame at all if Annan went down after that game I hope they do. Rankins changes tonight almost cost us god knows what he was thinking with bringing Mumbongo and Hewitt on I like Marley but you don't bring a guy who's barely played in the last year due to injury on in that game. Fair play to the players tonight though Lewis Smith was excellent he needs to start again on Saturday.

1 hour ago, Ian Mcleod said:

An excellent win tonight from the players. The way some of the Annan players acted tonight was embarrassing especially that clown Gibson would be no shame at all if Annan went down after that game I hope they do. Rankins changes tonight almost cost us god knows what he was thinking with bringing Mumbongo and Hewitt on I like Marley but you don't bring a guy who's barely played in the last year due to injury on in that game. Fair play to the players tonight though Lewis Smith was excellent he needs to start again on Saturday.

I take it you had some of the double strength glue tonight?

Wasn't at the game so can't really comment about the performance, just great to get the win with Falkirk dropping points.

When I seen the line up before the match, was so baffled to see Zanatta and Smith start after their lacklustre sub appearances against Kelty, but seems to have worked out somewhat. Was equally if not more baffled at the subs made during the match. Biggest one as people have said, bringing Redfern on after so long out into that situation was incredibly bizarre and just weakens my faith further in Rankins tactical ability. Seems more random than if he was to pick the names out of a hat.

Again great to get the win especially away, but I have to say, Rankins celebrations at full time were a bit over the top. I get that it would have been a tense finish, and a relief to secure the 3 points, but come on, that sort of scene I would expect to be kept for a more high profile game.

Not many positives aside from the result and Falkirk dropping points, but I was happy to see Redfern back, even if it was a strange time to reintroduce him. Providing he's able to get back to what he was good at, it gives us a wee bit more depth out wide and subsequently in midfield as he's most capable of replicating Barjonas' role which should allow Barjonas to move into the middle if necessary. 

55 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Not many positives aside from the result and Falkirk dropping points

I think there were plenty of positives tbh, albeit all in the first half.

In particular we continue to create lots of chances, we looked a constant threat, and it was great to see Smith and Zanatta have a positive impact.

Second half was ruined by Kilday being rash. Yes Gibson has cheated by going down like he did but Kilday really should know better than to get involved. His red card against Raith removed all chance of winning and he nearly cost us last night again. Not good enough. 11 v 11 im confident we're reflecting on a 4 or 5-1 win.

I'm also very concerned by Ryan Fulton's inability to come from balls into the box. Raith's first came from a looping ball in to about 8 yards out, and Annan's goal was the same. I don't remember him being so hesitant before his injury but he could have easily prevented both examples above.

Joel Mumbongo is never a football player and no idea why JR constantly puts him on first ahead of the likes of McGlynn or Henderson.

The second half last night was ugly but we got over the line. Hopefully come May that's all that matters.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Fingers are just about thawed out. Had forgotten how cold Tuesday nights can be at Galabank. 

Was very impressed with Hamilton first half. Cut down both flanks and feared a real doing.

After the sending off, and I admit Wullie did seem to make the most of it, the game was all Annan. Just didn't give anything for Fulton to deal with though and can't believe Matty Douglas didn't score that header. Genuinely think Annan were worth a point though and games against Edinburgh and Queens will define our season. 

46 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I think there were plenty of positives tbh, albeit all in the first half.

In particular we continue to create lots of chances, we looked a constant threat, and it was great to see Smith and Zanatta have a positive impact.

After a bright start, I felt that we began to lose control of the game once Annan got one back, mostly because we struggled to hold onto the ball. 

53 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

After a bright start, I felt that we began to lose control of the game once Annan got one back, mostly because we struggled to hold onto the ball. 

I don't really agree. I think memories are clouded by the backs to the wall approach in the second half. On a slick, frosting surface with a man short.

As @Hauftimedraw above says I thought we looked threatening the whole first half.

I don't think anyone can doubt JR's passion after the final whistle. It's easy to slag him as it's "only Annan away in November" but i'm fine with it. Hopefully we see much more of it. I do worry about his tactical thought process, though. His substitutions again made us weaker rather than strengthened. We needed an out ball up top to try and retain possession yet instead brought on someone with less control than a brick wall.

Dropping O'Hara deeper made sense but McGlynn would have been a much better complimentary option.

Accies started really well and could easily have been 3 or 4 up before Annan scored but as usual our inability to take our chances let the opposition back in the game.

One way traffic after the sending off and Annan played good football at times and can consider themselves unlucky not to get a draw.

We tried to sign Tommy Goss pre season and during the window  and he would be a big upgrade on that big haddy  Mumbongo who basically left us with 9 men the second half.

Falkirk game ended and 10 seconds later Annan hit the bar...such is the twists and turns which will continue and don't rule Cove out either.

4 hours ago, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

We tried to sign Tommy Goss pre season and during the window  and he would be a big upgrade on that big haddy  Mumbongo who basically left us with 9 men the second half.

That's an interesting one Goss is a good player and has a good goalscoring record at Annan especially last season i would definitely take him at accies. Mumbongo I actually thought was going to be a good signing after his first 1 or 2 games but he's been absolutely rotten the last couple of games. His performance Last night was embarrassing and there's probably fans that could do better. Don't know what Rankin has against McGlynn he seems to have strange agenda's against certain players. Like you said if felt like we had 9 players last night but those 9 players stepped up.