**Pie and Bovril's Top 100 TV Shows of All Time**

Wee-Bey

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
  Hide contents

I get that there are hints of misogyny (and some if the female characters are a little one dimensional despite the likes of Dee Dee Myers being consultants) but it probably accurately reflected politics in that era. But in general the writing to my ears still sounds sharp, the themes are as relevant today as they've always been (privacy, the polarisation of American politics, International relations including a proxy war with Russia and an Israeli-Palestine conflict!) and there are still scenes and episodes that make me cry or make me laugh even today. You say that there are other programmes that came later which maybe are better and that's fine - but it still stands up IMO and given it was a network show rather than an HBO/Showtime show, there are always going to be some things it couldn't have done. 

Nah. 😅

The misogyny is less the "of it's time" stuff and more persistent problems Sorkin has, for instance where he creates a "dumb annoying woman" character or characters in all of his shows so that when something has to be explained to the audience one of his stand-in characters for himself can explain it to them in the most condescending way possible

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Interesting to see a strong showing (so far) for The World At War. 

Game of Thrones really fell of a cliff in popularity. 

Still No1 for me, even with it having a shite ending. It was so good i went and bought all the books after watching the first series, read them all before seeing another series, and still loved every episode up to when they caught up with the books. You could see the quality dropped when they were winging it without a book to guide them, but was still a great watch till they turned Daenery's into a blood thirsty psychopath. Just a shame the books will never be published to finish it off, because George RR Martin is a lazy arse b*****d. Epic series though.

*edit to add.

Spoiler

I remember reading the red wedding and had to put the book down for 10 mins to get over the shock before continuing, and wasn't disappointed when i watched the same scene on tv. 

Ned Stark's demise shocked me too, i never expected a main character to be killed, let alone quite so early. It really left you fearing for anyone you took a liking to, unlike the original Star Trek where you knew the red shirted away team members were the cannon fodder, GoT was ruthless bumping main characters off.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

1. The West Wing

2. The Newsroom

3. Succession

4. Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

5. The US Office

6. Breaking Bad

7. Homeland

8. Still Game

9. Line of Duty (despite the pish ending).

10. Fawlty Towers

1 hour ago, MazzyStar said:

IMG_2152.thumb.jpeg.44eeef7f093f3fc9efe2c847379be4ae.jpeg

Me - the west wing was and remains vastly overrated, but is the best of Sorkin's work. 

Some crazy motherfucker - I also rate the Newsroom and Studio 60 as 2 of the 4 greatest TV shows of all time

That being said I'm head in hands for forgetting succession in my own ranking 

29 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Putting Breaking Bad in your list should carry jail time.

Ftfy.

The first 3 seasons are just so fucking boring. Some very big highs by the end but by god the lows are eye bleeding stuff. 

27 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Still No1 for me, even with it having a shite ending. It was so good i went and bought all the books after watching the first series, read them all before seeing another series, and still loved every episode up to when they caught up with the books. You could see the quality dropped when they were winging it without a book to guide them, but was still a great watch till they turned Daenery's into a blood thirsty psychopath. Just a shame the books will never be published to finish it off, because George RR Martin is a lazy arse b*****d. Epic series though.

*edit to add.

Reveal hidden contents

I remember reading the red wedding and had to put the book down for 10 mins to get over the shock before continuing, and wasn't disappointed when i watched the same scene on tv. 

Ned Stark's demise shocked me too, i never expected a main character to be killed, let alone quite so early. It really left you fearing for anyone you took a liking to, unlike the original Star Trek where you knew the red shirted away team members were the cannon fodder, GoT was ruthless bumping main characters off.

So episode 6 then? 

8 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

Ftfy.

The first 3 seasons are just so fucking boring. Some very big highs by the end but by god the lows are eye bleeding stuff. 

So episode 6 then? 

You’ve proven time and again on here that you’re an idiot trying to masquerade as a contrarian so I’ll gladly file your opinion on every subject known to mankind in the nearest skip. 

17 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

You’ve proven time and again on here that you’re an idiot trying to masquerade as a contrarian so I’ll gladly file your opinion on every subject known to mankind in the nearest skip. 

I did not know you took Breaking Bad so so seriously.

My apologies, if I had known you felt so passionately about the subject I wouldn't have commented. 

25 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

I did not know you took Breaking Bad so so seriously.

My apologies, if I had known you felt so passionately about the subject I wouldn't have commented. 

A *** who, I think, votes Labour, certainly a Unionist, which are 2 of the most contrarian, opposite stances of the majority of the users on this website, thinks one of the most critically acclaimed television shows of all time is ‘fucking boring’. Colour me shocked.

2 hours ago, GHF-23 said:

Me - the west wing was and remains vastly overrated, but is the best of Sorkin's work. 

Some crazy motherfucker - I also rate the Newsroom and Studio 60 as 2 of the 4 greatest TV shows of all time

That being said I'm head in hands for forgetting succession in my own ranking 

I thought The Newsroom was self-congratulatory and saccharine dreck, but the scene when they are on the plane and announce Bin Laden's death remains to this day one of the funniest things ever to be broadcast on TV. 

Comes down to the old interpretation of best v favourite, which upsets the film snobs when there's no silent french new wave in the top 10 but Shawshank Redemption is, so be interesting to see how this goes.

1. The Wire

2. The Office (UK)

3.  The Simpsons

4. Succession

5. I'm Alan Partridge 

6. Band of Brothers

7. The Sopranos 

8. The Shield

9. South Park

10. Barry

Edited within about 30 seconds for a glaring omission @Chris Partlow 

Edited by Squalor Vic

8 hours ago, The Golden God said:

1) The Wire 

2) The West Wing

3) Scrubs 

4) Band of Brothers 

5) Love/Hate 

6) Derry Girls

7) The Thick of It 

8 ) Line of Duty 

9) Game of Thrones

10)  The Newsroom 

Below the top 3 I think they could all be in different order on any day. 

You disgust me. Purely because you've somehow managed to avoid putting the best sitcom of all time on your list despite your username and avatar! :lol:

Surprised to see The Simpsons feature so much. The first 30% or so of the show was outstanding television and some of the funniest stuff I've watched. But if you said that a show was 30% comedy gold and 70% utter shite, I'm not sure I'd vote it in my Top 10. 

Threads like this just have me marvelling at how much time people must have to watch all of these.  I must be terrible at time management - I had thought it was due to having a kid etc but I have colleagues who do the same job as me, have more kids than me and they are like "oh yeah I watched three seasons of Ozark last weekend, I love it" and I watch a single episode of something and then forget about it for two months.

Having said that, I'll try and do a list.

26 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Threads like this just have me marvelling at how much time people must have to watch all of these.  I must be terrible at time management - I had thought it was due to having a kid etc but I have colleagues who do the same job as me, have more kids than me and they are like "oh yeah I watched three seasons of Ozark last weekend, I love it" and I watch a single episode of something and then forget about it for two months.

Tbf, you spend at least my TV time + 500% deep diving through very weird internet. 

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

50 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Tbf, you spend at least my TV time + 500% deep diving through very weird internet. 

"Have any P&B'rs ever found themselves unable to watch TV as they're too busy posting ?

49 minutes ago, Chris Partlow said:

"Have any P&B'rs ever found themselves unable to watch TV as they're too busy posting ?

Me: "Haha, look at these NPC losers, wasting their lives away in front Netflix!"

Also me

image.png.c074dc6755cf92c27d9d04af60652c02.png