**Pie and Bovril's Top 100 TV Shows of All Time**

Cheese

23 hours ago, RuMoore said:

The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. 

Didn’t they have an episode where earth had to be saved from monster sperm or something?

38 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Didn’t they have an episode where earth had to be saved from monster sperm or something?

I couldn't tell you. I only became aware of the TV show when they had that limited time offer of the sauce from the show and incels were going viral from harassing McDonald's employees. Enjoyed the first few series tbh just wouldn't be in my top 10 let alone first spot.

Also for some clarification Breaking Bad isn't shite, it's obviously a good show and some of the episodes in the last two seasons were top tier tv, I just think the first few seasons were pish to the point it's not an all timer. 

I think how good GOT was to have such a shite ending has changed people's perspectives on what makes good TV, if it has a semi-coherent ending it's automatically considered good. 

31 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

Also for some clarification Breaking Bad isn't shite, it's obviously a good show and some of the episodes in the last two seasons were top tier tv, I just think the first few seasons were pish to the point it's not an all timer. 

I think how good GOT was to have such a shite ending has changed people's perspectives on what makes good TV, if it has a semi-coherent ending it's automatically considered good. 

It's a tough one tbf. Does a couple of shite seasons undo the great work before (or after) it and elevate perhaps a less good at its peak, but more consistent show above it ?

GoT had so many epic scenes, some episodes were like films, the fight scenes were massive

Spoiler

. Battle of the b*****ds, Blackwater, The Long Night, the battle on the wall with the free folk and the watch. Some brilliant smaller scenes too, the Viper v the Mountain, Cercei's walk of shame, Daenery's being lifted by the freed slaves at the end of an episode, Daenery's emerging from the ashes with the baby dragons hatched by the heat of the flames, it all coming together for Cercei's revenge on the high sparrow and all her enemies, wiping them all out in the one place, Joffrey being poisened.

and many, many more.

Brilliant characters too, the Hound and Tyrion were so funny, with their dry sarcastic wit and not giving a f**k attitudes, same with Bronn, and even Jamie. I loved how you hated a character and then completely changed your mind, once you saw an episode showing their back story and struggles. Course some had no redeeming features and were just evil b*****ds, and you cheered when they met their end, others left you feeling shocked, and sad, it was just a brilliant series.

I just can't write it off from being the best, because of how it ended, that would be so unfair, when it was so brilliant for so much of the series. The ending left me gutted because it deserved so much more, but without the great man finishing his books, the writers just couldn't live up to his standards, however it just doesn't detract from how good it was overall.  

1. The Simpsons - the first 9/10 seasons are nigh on perfect so, despite the obvious drop in the 23 (!) seasons since, it’s still hard to beat.
  2. It’s a Sin - just an astonishing piece of work from Russell T Davies. Still on All 4 and I think now Netflix for anyone yet to see it.
  3. Queer as Folk - RTD’s breakout show, can’t believe it’ll be its 25th anniversary in a few weeks. Groundbreaking in all sorts of ways.
  4. The Royle Family - beautifully written by Caroline Aherne and Craig Cash. The Queen of Sheba episode in particular will stay with me.
  5. Ru Paul’s Drag Race - had to put at least one competition show on my list so this got the nod. Grown arms and legs since its first US season in 2009. Such an important programme, behind the heels and sequins, for highlighting LGBTQ+ issues. So many iconic moments as well.
  6. Frasier - it’s not often that spin offs are better than the original. Frasier absolutely outdoes Cheers in almost every aspect.
  7. Six Feet Under - superb from start to finish. One of the best finale episodes ever created.
  8. The Thick of It - Armando Iannucci has already said he couldn’t write this now as reality is more bonkers than satire. Of its time but brilliantly observed and has one of the greatest TV characters of all time. Take a bow Glenn Cullen. Malcolm Tucker was alright as well.
  9. Two Doors Down - on the go for years now with 7 series and a Hogmanay special which kicked it all off in 2013. Absolutely bang on observations from the writing team and fantastic performances from the likes of Arabella Weir, Elaine C Smith and Jonathan Watson (aye, that one).
  10. Game of Thrones - thought about putting this higher but the last season really soured it. 100% hypocritical given my Simpsons comments above but f**k it, it’s my list. Some really stand out episodes as mentioned by others. Dame Diana Rigg’s performances as Olenna Tyrell were just magnificent.

Honourable mentions - Car Share, Blackadder, Years and Years, Phoenix Nights, Strictly Come Dancing and Doctor Who.

Absolutely certain I’ve forgotten a couple of obvious candidates when I see the final countdown published.

Edited by The Naitch

39 minutes ago, The Naitch said:
  1. The Simpsons - the first 9/10 seasons are nigh on perfect so, despite the obvious drop in the 23 (!) seasons since, it’s still hard to beat.
  2. It’s a Sin - just an astonishing piece of work from Russell T Davies. Still on All 4 and I think now Netflix for anyone yet to see it.
  3. Queer as Folk - RTD’s breakout show, can’t believe it’ll be its 25th anniversary in a few weeks. Groundbreaking in all sorts of ways.
  4. The Royle Family - beautifully written by Caroline Aherne and Craig Cash. The Queen of Sheba episode in particular will stay with me.
  5. Ru Paul’s Drag Race - had to put at least one competion show on my list so this got the nod. Grown arms and legs since its first US season in 2009. Such an important programme, behind the heels and sequins, for highlighting LGBTQ+ issues. So many iconic moments as well.
  6. Frasier - it’s not often that spin offs are better than the original. Frasier absolutely outdoes Cheers in almost every aspect.
  7. Six Feet Under - superb from start to finish. One of the best finale episodes ever created.
  8. The Thick of It - Armando Iannucci has already said he couldn’t right this now as reality is more bonkers than satire. Of its time but brilliantly observed and has one of the greatest TV characters of all time. Take a bow Glenn Cullen. Malcolm Tucker was alright as well.
  9. Two Doors Down - on the go for years now with 7 series and a Hogmanay special which kicked it all off in 2013. Absolutely bang on observations from the writing team and fantastic performances from the likes of Arabella Weir, Elaine C Smith and Jonathan Watson (aye, that one).
  10. Game of Thrones - thought about putting this higher but the last season really soured it. 100% hypocritical given my Simpsons comments above but f**k it, it’s my list. Some really stand out episodes as mentioned by others. Dame Diana Rigg’s performances as Olenna Tyrell were just magnificent.

Honourable mentions - Car Share, Blackadder, Years and Years, Phoenix Nights, Strictly Come Dancing and Doctor Who.

Absolutely certain I’ve forgotten a couple of obvious candidates when I see the final countdown published.

It's a Sin becomes the 200th different show nominated so far.

As with everyone else I'm sure I've forgotten something obvious.

1. The Wire

2. Better Call Saul

3. Pose

4. Bojack Horseman

5. Fleabag

6. Atlanta

7. The Bear

8. The Sopranos

9. The Office (UK)

10. Stranger Things 

Honorable mentions for Westworld and True Detective, if either of them had stopped after Season 1 I would have them on the list.

Peep Show

Phoenix Nights

Minder

Auf Wiedersehen Pet

The Office (US)

Family Guy

I'm Alan Partridge

Early Doors

Father Ted

The Highland League and Shinty Results followed by the News and Weather (Grampian tv 70's - 90's)

Can't say i have watched any of the US drama programmes that seem to dominate the other lists

2 hours ago, MrWorldwideJr said:

As with everyone else I'm sure I've forgotten something obvious.

1. The Wire

2. Better Call Saul

3. Pose

4. Bojack Horseman

5. Fleabag

6. Atlanta

7. The Bear

8. The Sopranos

9. The Office (UK)

10. Stranger Things 

Honorable mentions for Westworld and True Detective, if either of them had stopped after Season 1 I would have them on the list.

Pose!! I knew I forgot something obvious. Bugger. Ach, it’s done now.

9 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

Peep Show

Phoenix Nights

Minder

Auf Wiedersehen Pet

The Office (US)

Family Guy

I'm Alan Partridge

Early Doors

Father Ted

The Highland League and Shinty Results followed by the News and Weather (Grampian tv 70's - 90's)

Can't say i have watched any of the US drama programmes that seem to dominate the other lists

I am grateful that I discovered Early Doors purely by chance on iPlayer earlier this year. Funny but also heartwarming TV.

1) Still Game

2) Prison Break

3) Breaking Bad

4) Andor

5) Lost

6) Money Heist

7) Sons of Anarchy

8) Narcos

9) Family Guy

10) Cobra Kai

Andor has a chance of cracking the top 3 if the 2nd season is as good or better than the 1st 

Honourable mentions - Chewin the fat, The Mandalorian, Happy Valley

Probably forgot something obvious

1) The Sopranos - Of the big three Golden Era TV shows, I just think it's the best in terms of performances, writing, direction.

2) The Wire - Doesn't quite get above the Sopranos for me but very close

3) Breaking Bad - A slightly different kind of show to the above two in some ways but very close to them.

4) The Simpsons - With obvious caveats as previously mentioned

5) True Detective - Really only season 1, which is one of the best stand alone seasons of TV there is.

6) Frasier - Just a brilliantly written and acted show - watching the reboot really highlights how good the cast are in this.

7) Peep Show - Again, a perfectly written and acted show that really grows through the years.  A show with such a unique 'gimmick' could go very badly but they make it work.

8 ) The Office (UK) - Whatever anyone thinks about Gervais, this show is just genius.

9) Father Ted - I love the kind of constant stupidity in this show, there's no moments of poigonacy, just wall-to-wall nonsense.  Obviously, it was curtailed tragically but the limited number of episodes makes it special.

10) Game of Thrones - Would have been much higher but the quality vastly reduced when they didn't have books to base it on.

7 hours ago, ICTChris said:

9) Father Ted - I love the kind of constant stupidity in this show, there's no moments of poigonacy, just wall-to-wall nonsense.  Obviously, it was curtailed tragically but the limited number of episodes makes it special.

I think they already planned to stop at three series as Morgan didn't want to do any more, so his death didn't curtail anything.