The "We're All Doomed!" Thread

BFTD

The Big Question  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 14/07/24 at 19:00

As usual, there'll be posters on here raring to spoil enjoyment of the tournament with constant reminders that England are "looking dangerous this year" and are "definitely going to win something soon", presumably as a public service announcement to avoid an outbreak of mass self-harm in Scotland if they ever do manage to lift a trophy again. Finally, this is your thread - there'll be plenty of the usual Rangers England troll accounts to keep you company, so have at it.

Possible topics of discussion:

• England already have this in the bag, and are about to win every tournament for the next generation
  • Scotland are shite and should just give up now
  • Likely scenarios for how Scotland will be eliminated in the group stage
  • The precise number of World Wars and World Cups that England have beaten Germany in so far

I wonder who true English fans are wanting to win the opening match? 🤔

The only way I console myself when they are getting close to winning a tournament is thinking of the genuine fans from down south that I know and how much it means to them. I have met many who are just as passionate about their nation side as we are and also can’t stand the hype that the media whips up.

Having said that, I always have a wry smile and chuckle to myself when they inevitably fail, whilst also sarcastically telling my friends how unlucky they have been and how proud they should be of their lads! 😂

It's a genuine worry at the moment in all honesty. Spain, Germany and Italy can usually be relied upon to be better than them, but they aren't. The Netherlands and Portugal would generally be considered at least competitive with England and they aren't (particularly the former). The only other nation with a better squad than them at the moment is France. 

It is quite funny that they are the best they have been for quite some time and yet most of them hate Gareth Southgate. 

Edited by Michael W

I'm a non-betting puritan but I had a look at the odds. England are 7/2 favourites. In a field of 24 and with 7 months to go.

They are strongly fancied by the bookies.

I am worried.

We're 100/1, by the way, same as our groupmates Hungary.

England will always be a bit shorter than they should be with the bookies due to the amount of money they take on them at every tournament.

They're clear 2nd favourites for me, just behind France and have a great chance if Bellingham and Kane are fit and firing. I do still think there's question marks both in goals and at the back though.

They'll be there or thereabouts unfortunately.

I'm pretty relaxed about England finally winning a tournament, as after 58 years and rising there will be more than an element of anti-climax about it, especially if the traditional European big-hitters fail to turn-up.

Secondly, in Scotland we've already been suitably stress-tested by the Queen's passing and King Chic's coronation, and I don't expect winning the Euros to come anywhere near those levels of emotional instability, national meltdown and episodic madness.

The sun will still rise and the Earth will turn, but meantime we should concentrate simply on ensuring that Angus Gunn is fit

England are significantly better than everyone in Europe except France. Spain on their day could maybe still take them out, and Portugal have the players, but don't yet appear to really be a cohesive unit in terms of really threatening a tournament. So with that in mind, only an idiot would bet against England winning this or the next WC. 

Main weaknesses lie in losing either Bellingham or Kane for me, as well as their defence being just ok, but the potential for hilarity in that defence is overstated. 

I dont reall y care if they nab one. They are sports biggest underachievers. Its absolute lunacy that they've won f**k all for so long on their part. But it won't last. Just don't want to see a period of international dominance for them.

12 hours ago, BFTD said:
  • Scotland are shite and should just give up now
  • Likely scenarios for how Scotland will be eliminated in the group stage

I don't think Scotland are shite, should give up now or that it's a guarantee that we'll be eliminated in the group stages. I think the group will probably be difficult enough to qualify from because the other teams aren't shite either (relative to Scotland) so it wouldn't be a big surprise to me if we finished 4th (or 3rd), but didn't qualify from the group and I wouldn't see that as a failure.

I think Clarke put it perfectly, it's a well balanced group.

For example if we drew all three matches and went out, but played reasonably well and were competitive in at least two of the games - I'd probably be a wee bit disappointed, but not overly and I'd not see it as a failure. I see qualification from the groups as the ambition, that's what we all want - but it's not a minimum expectation for me.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

England are significantly better than everyone in Europe except France. Spain on their day could maybe still take them out, and Portugal have the players, but don't yet appear to really be a cohesive unit in terms of really threatening a tournament. So with that in mind, only an idiot would bet against England winning this or the next WC. 

Main weaknesses lie in losing either Bellingham or Kane for me, as well as their defence being just ok, but the potential for hilarity in that defence is overstated. 

I dont reall y care if they nab one. They are sports biggest underachievers. Its absolute lunacy that they've won f**k all for so long on their part. But it won't last. Just don't want to see a period of international dominance for them.

That's exactly how I see it.  I'm 38 and I know they're going to win at least one tournament in my lifetime so I'm not too bothered about it.  They should win tournaments fairly regularly IMO, maybe one every 4 or 5, so the fact that they haven't won any of the 21 World Cups and Euros they've qualified for since 1966 is very, very funny.

50 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

That's exactly how I see it.  I'm 38 and I know they're going to win at least one tournament in my lifetime so I'm not too bothered about it.  They should win tournaments fairly regularly IMO, maybe one every 4 or 5, so the fact that they haven't won any of the 21 World Cups and Euros they've qualified for since 1966 is very, very funny.

I'm 62, they've won one tournament in my lifetime and that's quite enough, thanks. 

They wont win the Euros.

They are a nation of serial bottlers despite have a very good squad. 

The "ah but this time actually you see" squad will be out in numbers as usual.

They should have won the last one. It was at home for f**k sake.  They still needed a dodgy decision to get through the semi then monumentally shat it in the final.

Mentally, theyre probably the weakest of the big nations though.

Spoiler

I'll stick £20 on just in case though. 

13 hours ago, Chris Partlow said:

They're clear 2nd favourites for me, just behind France and have a great chance if Bellingham and Kane are fit and firing. I do still think there's question marks both in goals and at the back though.

I dont think there's much to choose between them to be honest. Thought they were clearly the best two at the World Cup and when they met in the last eight England were better on the day. They werent clinical though and Kane missed that penalty so a Giroud inspired France went through.

I think the same question marks in goal and at the back apply to France too. 

I think Spain are maybe being undervalued at the moment. I think they are a team on the up despite the fact we beat them at the start of qualifying. Not quite at the level of the two teams mentioned, I'd accept that, but I don't think it would be a major shock if they won the Euro's or at least knocked one of France or England out.

10 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I think Spain are maybe being undervalued at the moment. I think they are a team on the up despite the fact we beat them at the start of qualifying. Not quite at the level of the two teams mentioned, I'd accept that, but I don't think it would be a major shock if they won the Euro's or at least knocked one of France or England out.

I was thinking that too.  I think the defeat to Scotland was the jolt they needed, they look pretty good now IMO.

Greetings from a tame England fan, who's here because your forum is a useful resource for information about the Euros *hat tip Welshbairn*, but couldn't resist a post on this thread.

Maybe I'm atypical, but I -

* Want Scotland to win the opening game and get out of the group.

* Like and support Southgate.

* Think we have a chance of getting to the semis but could easily then lose to France, who are my clear favourites to win the thing.

Having said that, lack of injuries permitting, we have a chance of winning the tournament, but it's England so something will go wrong.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to sitting in a bar in Hannover and seeing the locals getting increasingly annoyed as you beat the hosts 

Edited by ColUFan

9 minutes ago, ColUFan said:

Greetings from a tame England fan, who's here because your forum is a useful resource for information about the Euros *hat tip Welshbairn*, but couldn't resist a post on this thread.

Maybe I'm atypical, but I -

* Want Scotland to win the opening game and get out of the group.

* Like and support Southgate.

* Think we have a chance of getting to the semis but could easily then lose to France, who are my clear favourites to win the thing.

Having said that, lack of injuries permitting, we have a chance of winning the tournament, but it's England so something will go wrong.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to sitting in a bar in Hannover and seeing the locals getting increasingly annoyed as you beat the hosts 

image.png.4fd0d4035c3b121285ef3f4474e9da9e.png