TV Coverage Thread

The Master

On 24/06/2024 at 18:13, KirkieRR said:

I think Anthony Ralston, despite that unfortunate misplaced pass (and which Scotland player didn't misplace multiple passes?) and the online pasting he got, has more reason to feel OK about his performance than most of the team. If he was flakey at times, I blame Liam McLeod for his persistent reference to Rawlston. The one thing McCann got right was his pronunciation of the name.

To save us the embarrassment of being patronised by and then sniggered at by the BBC's huge contingent of house former Engerlund internationals, I hope BBC Scotland break down the door of the BBC's head of sport and demand that next time Scotland qualify for a finals*, they offer both studio and commentary coverage, you know, like every other nation gets to do.

* Yeah, I know, they probably have plenty of time.

No , no, no !!!! Scotland at major tournaments is a hard enough watch without Alan Preston, 'Packie' Bonner, Willie Miller and all the rest whose names escape me because they're such appalling pundits, mumbling and dismantling the English language...

39 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

No , no, no !!!! Scotland at major tournaments is a hard enough watch without Alan Preston, 'Packie' Bonner, Willie Miller and all the rest whose names escape me because they're such appalling pundits, mumbling and dismantling the English language...

The ones you name rarely appear on telly.

Observations from this evening -

Clive Tyldsley explaining that the Georgian flag looks like the English (CROSS OF ST GEORGE!!) flag like we are toddlers.

Then post match "oh we have just had it confirmed that Georgia's opponents will be Spain, what a reward". Yes a reward to play the team they played twice I qualifying....

Doing my best to ignore his OF background but McCoist is far and away the best co-commentator on our TV coverage. He brings all the passion, enthusiasm and humour of a real fan of the game and you can tell the natural chemistry between him and his commentators ... often brightens up an otherwise crap game.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Doing my best to ignore his OF background but McCoist is far and away the best co-commentator on our TV coverage. He brings all the passion, enthusiasm and humour of a real fan of the game and you can tell the natural chemistry between him and his commentators ... often brightens up an otherwise crap game.

Tend to agree with this. McCoist is at least enthusiastic even if his analysis isn't always perfect. He'll also happily admit when he's got something wrong as he did with the disallowed German goal the other day once he'd seen the half time analysis.

Some people annoy the hell out of me. See Martin Keown last night. I lost count of the number of times he had a go at the assistant referees for "not sticking their flag up for an obvious offside" or claimed they "weren't up with play". He still thinks he's in the early 2000's! He probably had his hand up claiming for offside in the commentary booth. I mean he must be the only person working in football now (apart possibly from the perennially stupid Eni Aluko although even she's probably worked this one out) that isn't aware assistants are told to keep the flag down while a move develops so that VAR can decide it if it comes to anything and only to put their flag up when the attack finishes. Keown clearly hasn't got the memo. I mean he's there to provide expert insight, it might help if he had any! A modern day Mark Lawrenson if ever I heard one.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Totally agree. He is also briliant on the Talksport breakfast show when he hosts it. 

9 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

McCoist won English viewers over with his pre-match snippets about his Russian cultural adventures, during the 2018 World Cup.  I think he was mainly working with Jon Champion.  Folk know he played for Rangers and Scotland, which means he could play a bit.  The chemistry you mention is generated with whoever he is sitting alongside.  I think ITV struck it lucky.

I do hope Harper and Raducanu are out of Wimbledon before the Euro QF on Saturday, or it'll be Tiger Tim 'n' the Engerlundland boys at Euro 96 all over again.

2 hours ago, Red Kite said:

McCoist won English viewers over with his pre-match snippets about his Russian cultural adventures, during the 2018 World Cup.  I think he was mainly working with Jon Champion.  Folk know he played for Rangers and Scotland, which means he could play a bit.  The chemistry you mention is generated with whoever he is sitting alongside.  I think ITV struck it lucky.

Yeah, I think he became familiar to English audiences via his time on Question Of Sport with Sue Barker - they liked his cheeky chappy banter and quick sense of humour. Couple that with his knowledge of the game and rapport with the commentators and the broadcasters are on to a winner. Plus of course it helps them diversify by being more inclusive to us picts north of the border.

5 minute montage of all the teams and fans at the end of the EBC highlights show.

Numerous England clips. Every other team or their fans shown.

You wouldn't have known Scotland were in the competition.

F@ck off BBC. Just f@ck off....and they wonder why no one trusts them in Scotland.

38 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

5 minute montage of all the teams and fans at the end of the EBC highlights show.

F@ck off BBC. Just f@ck off....and they wonder why no one trusts them in Scotland.

That's because it was montage of second round footage.

11 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

TBF, I watched every minute of Group A and came away feeling like that.