SFA Mens Player of the Year 2023

3 hours ago, velo army said:

Such a passive aggressive and needlessly argumentative post in response to a perfectly joyous post praising the team. 

The black mark you have against Robbo in competitive games is that he was lucky not to be sent off, but you skate over Hickey falling on his arse and literally gifting a goal which finished the game. That's simply a dishonest way of conducting a debate. "yeah, I think the thing that almost happened is worse than the thing that actually did happen" is obtuse. 

Nobody played that well against England and it was a friendly which, like the France game, I don't care about. Every player on the list made mistakes. If you think that the award is for perfection then you haven't adequately understood the process at all.

Yeah I think you're being far more passive aggressive here than me tbh.

Robertson's a great captain but he's not had his best year playing wise in a Scotland shirt. I think Hickey's been better than him, that's all. We are to ignore mistakes in friendlies as if they simply didnt happen? I didnt skate over anything, I pointedly noted Hickey wasnt perfect either. If I'd wanted to skate over it I'd not have mentioned it at all.

2 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

Yeah, that's they guy. You should have watched some of the qualification games though rather than just the meaningless friendly v England. He was amazing.

Ah, I see. Apologies. I should have watched all the games. 🙄

I'd have had Hickey ahead of Robertson, Porteous and Gunn from that short list for sure. Its all academic though as McTominay's a clear winner anyway.

Robertson has had a fantastic year, he's had a hand in so many goals, and that Norway away game in particular he was superb. I think McGinn is actually the one who's a bit lucky to be on the list - I'd say that Norway at home aside, he's not really had his best year by his own high standards.

3 hours ago, deadasdillinger said:

McTominay. Was only ever going to be. 

Yeah, fair play to him - he had a great season for Scotland and there was only going to be one winner. It really came out of nowhere as I remember there were a few doubts as to whether he would be starting games for us not so long ago.

10 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Yeah, fair play to him - he had a great season for Scotland and there was only going to be one winner. It really came out of nowhere as I remember there were a few doubts as to whether he would be starting games for us not so long ago.

I think back in March after his goals v Spain a few folk were saying that he'd wasted so much time at CB, but most of his performances in midfield before then left a lot to be desired. 

50 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I think back in March after his goals v Spain a few folk were saying that he'd wasted so much time at CB, but most of his performances in midfield before then left a lot to be desired. 

I liked him at centre-back. I think he's a good player, but very versatile - that makes him very useful.

Playing McTominay in midfield allows our outside centre-back to press an opponent into midfield. McTominay can drop back to cover the RCB position. I saw that against Spain and thought that's quite handy. You're probably not getting the same defensive cover with someone else in that position.

https://streamable.com/tqo00o