Aberdeen vs Killie

11 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I would be tempted to leave Rubezic out too, but I'm less convinced than others that it's just a case of throwing MacDonald into the current system and everything will be better. I would like to see how we fare with a back four, most likely with Gartenmann and Jensen in the middle, and then Barron as the deepest lying midfielder. Either a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 depending on how you look at it. I think it's more likely we can accommodate both Barron and Clarkson with a back four, too. McGrath can play nominally wide, which he has already shown he can do, but help to overload the central areas. It would also give Shinnie a bit more support and hopefully reduce his workload a bit, as he is still essentially being asked to do the work of at least two players and looking worse for it. Miovski up front, with pace and directness on the other wing, most likely through Duk but Duncan could potentially do that role too. 

I think it will be a 3-5-2 with Rubezic in the middle of the three, though. 

It’s certainly not just personnel, the shape leaves us exposed, particularly if we don’t have a midfielder dropping into the back 3 to allow your LCB or RCB to cover the flanks. Clarkson was great on Sunday tbh but he lacks that and there were times when the wing backs were up the pitch, hibs get it wide and you can see Jensen for example doesn’t know whether or not to go and we’re in trouble. Which is likely why he goes with Mackenzie in the bigger games as he doesn’t leave that hole nearly as much. 

But Rubezic doing Ruby things certainly doesn’t help. He must be quite high now on goals directly responsible for, if you include pens conceded. 

Agree with the above, our midfield is often just a hole when we play this formation. Shinnie was obviously told to charge about and press high in the first half, while the other two (very much not defensive midfielders) were pretty far apart. I don't know what the thinking is there.

The other huge gaps you mentioned in the wide channels are easy to exploit by a team like Hibs, and would be less exposed if we had a more flat back four.

It's not that 5-3-2 or 5-4-1 never works, but it only works in some games and we need another approach. I'm as pessimistic as I've been for a while, so conversely part of me expects a 4-0 masterclass out of nowhere tonight