Aberdeen vs Killie

Expected nothing from this and thought a draw was probably a fair enough result. However, given the mount of heartbreak the Dons have caused us over the past decade, I'm especially delighted that we managed to grab a winner. What a hit from the Prestwick Pirlo!

I sincerely hope the fella with the Arab Strap tickets went to the gig - I was so unenthused by the thought of watching this on a stream earlier on, I would have picked the gig too.

That was abysmal, absolutely abysmal.

I rarely get properly angry at Aberdeen: win, lose or draw, I kind of try to retain the idea that it just isn't worth letting football completely dictate your mood. But tonight I was properly seething at that performance and Robson's utter negligence. 

It should have been crystal clear at half-time that the formation just wasn't working for us in this game. Kilmarnock were understandably content to isolate Gartenmann and Jensen with possession, and to sit in a low block. So, what was our response to this? It was a succession of square passes between the centre-backs and goalkeeper, followed by long punts over the top of Kilmarnock's deep defence at two centre-forwards seemingly being asked to play as target men, but who simply are not capable of playing that role. It was just absolutely mindnumbing to watch. 

So, what does Robson do at half-time to try and change things? Absolutely nothing. No shape change, no substitutions, no obvious changes in approach. It was the perfect chance to go to a back four, squeeze Watkins and Vassell up the pitch, and get Barron on to fill the glaring gap between the defence and midfield. But no. Nothing until the 75th minute or whatever it was. Just incompetent, desperate stuff. 

Kilmarnock probably didn't deserve to win the game, but we definitely deserved to lose it. 

1 minute ago, Thenorthernlight said:

As utterly pish as we were, we should’ve been playing against 10 men for the entire game.

Again, VAR screwing us over.

Genuinely curious as to what you are referring to here? If you mean the Watkins ‘elbow’ in the first 5 seconds, that was a complete non-incident. 

6 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

Genuinely curious as to what you are referring to here? If you mean the Watkins ‘elbow’ in the first 5 seconds, that was a complete non-incident. 

Having just watched it on Sportscene he is extremely fortunate not to be off for that. Bizarre behaviour and a clear red.

20 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

No idea if it would have made any difference to the final outcome, but that was a red card all day long. No idea what Watkins was thinking about.