The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2024

10 hours ago, TxRover said:

Jimmy Carter's goal is to make it to at least October 15 to vote for Kamala Harris...figures. He's gonna live forever, isn't he?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/aug/03/jimmy-carter-vote-kamala-harris-100th-birthday

Picking Jimmy Carter here is like lumping on Killie to lose, Im happy either way whatever happens.

Posted (edited)

Week 31 update

Busy stuff this week. First, Marion Dawson: Scotland’s oldest person Marion Dawson dies aged 111 months after special message from her beloved Rangers and The King – The Scottish Sun | The Scottish Sun

Born in 1913 in Houston, Renfrewshire, Marion was the youngest of five children.

She married late husband Robert in 1940 and had two children - Jean and Allan.

The great-grandmother was a permanent resident of care home Morar Living where she died peacefully.

Marion survived two world wars, the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic and the coronavirus pandemic.

All very impressive, but then:

She recently revealed that being teetotal is the secret to her long life as she had never touched a drop of alcohol.

On January 19 this year, Marion celebrated her 111th birthday with well-wishes from the King and Rangers.

Outliving Rangers is surely more impressive than a few pandemics. As much as the Dead Pool covers a range of celebrities and stars it's an interesting change of pace to acknowledge someone who just lived a normal life. A relative of mine who turned 100 in January died a few weeks ago and it's difficult to actually comprehend that amount of time if you actually try to think about it. 

Dawson died at 111 so she's worth 14 Base Points. @Ned Nederlander gets a Solo Shot bonus giving him 64 points.

=========

Second death this week is Hamas leader Mohammed Deif: Hamas military chief was killed in July air strike, Israel says - BBC News

The Israeli military said in a statement that "following an intelligence assessment, it can be confirmed that Mohammed Deif was eliminated" in the 13 July strike.

Gaza’s Hamas-run health authorities said at the time of the air strike that it had killed more than 90 people, but denied that Deif was among the dead.

Deif is widely seen as the second-ranking Hamas official in Gaza, behind Yahya Sinwar, the group's leader in the territory.

Israel’s Defence Minister, Yoav Gallant, said the death of Deif is “a significant milestone” in the dismantling of Hamas.

"This operation reflects the fact that Hamas is disintegrating, and that Hamas terrorists may either surrender or they will be eliminated," he added.

I'm a bit wary of adding this one in now because the levels of confirmation aren't very certain. Israel says he's dead, Palestine says he isn't. I reserve the right to change this scoring if any new information comes out before the end of the year, but given Israel's track record of acknowledging what it does to Palestinians, I think them actually saying yes we targeted something and yes we hit it is about as much confirmation as we need, given their tendency to dismiss every other attack they launch on Gaza.

Deif is said to have died on the 13th of July. Since his date of birth is unconfirmed I'm taking it as the 1st of January 1965, meaning he died at 59 so he's worth 66 Base Points for @Ned Nederlander, with a Solo Shot and an Unnatural Causes bonus taking that to 166 points.

=========

Third death this week is John Anderson off of Gladiators: John Anderson: Former Gladiators referee dies aged 92 - BBC News

John Anderson, best known for his role as referee on the TV series Gladiators, has died aged 92.

The Scottish sports coach appeared in the game show's original ITV run, which aired from 1992 to 2000, and its short-lived 2008 revamp on Sky.

He lent his voice to the famous catch-phrase: "Contender, ready! Gladiator, ready!"

He also coached more than 100 Olympic athletes, including former 5,000m world-record holder David Moorcroft.

You can all hear him in your head right now, can't you? If he's 92 that would have placed him in his 60s when Gladiators was on. I would still have fancied him to beat half of the people taking part in the show.

Anderson died at 92 so he's worth 33 Base Points for @The Naitch, with a Solo Shot taking that to 83 points.

=========

Final death this week is writer Edna O'Brien: Edna O’Brien obituary | Edna O'Brien | The Guardian

Before Edna O’Brien, Irish female writers tended to come from the preserve of the “big house” or enjoyed the kind of privilege that made a life of writing possible. And by and large, their books dealt with genteel themes and conformed to recognisable genres and narrative forms.

When O’Brien’s first novel, The Country Girls, was published in 1960, all that changed. As her friend and peer Philip Roth remarked: “While Joyce, in Dubliners and A Portrait of the Artist, was the first Irish Catholic to make his experience and surroundings recognisable, ‘the world of Nora Barnacle’ had to wait for the fiction of Edna O’Brien.”

Written in exile in London, The Country Girls brought O’Brien, who has died aged 93, to international attention.

The reception in Ireland was largely hostile due to the book’s frank portrayal of female sexuality and desire. It was denounced as a “slur on Irish womanhood” and banned, as were several subsequent books. The notoriety established an enduring public persona – the glamorous and worldly, convent-educated libertine – which sometimes worked to the detriment of O’Brien’s reputation as a serious and committed writer. For decades, her name operated as a byword for transgression and subversion, particularly for women.

I'm going to make two observations. One is that despite my fondness for picking writers in the Dead Pool, I haven't heard of O'Brien or any of her life. After reading that obituary I find that quite surprising, because my second point is that for all the writers I've ever covered on here and used a Guardian obituary for, I don't think any of them have been as long, as detailed or as celebratory as hers. 

O'Brien died at 93 so she's worth 32 Base Points for @Florentine_Pogen. He also gets a Solo Shot for a total of 82 points.

After those, the standings look like this:

1. Ned Nederlander 797
2. The Naitch 593
3. Billy Jean King 536
4. mozam76 528
5. psv_killie 527
6. lolls 514
7. Moomintroll 502
8. The_Craig 494
9. Indale Winton 484
10. JustOneCornetto 470
11. El Guapo 457
12. chomp my root 450
13. sparky88 447
14. choirbairn 438
15. The DA 436
16. pub car king 430
17. Savage Henry 415
18. mathematics, Melanius Mullarkay 404
20. TxRover 397
21. weirdcal 378
22. Lofarl 370
23. Forest_Fifer 369
24. Arch Stanton 363
25. buddiepaul, cdhafc1874 360
27. lichtgilphead 351
28. peasy23 348
29. Bully Wee Villa, Darren 347
31. Desp 342
32. sleazy 340
33. Arbroathlegend36-0 324
34. Arabdownunder 318
35.  scottsdad 297
36. HI HAT 276
37. nessies long lost ghost 276
38. Oystercatcher 270
39. Mark Connolly 262
40. Craig fae the Vale 251
41. Sweaty Morph 244
42.  Shotgun 231
43. LoonsYouthTeam 222
44. Aim Here, senorsoupe 219
46. Sergeant Wilson 218
47. blackislekillie 216
48. parxyz 206
49. qos_75 203
50. gingette 187
51. invergowrie arab 186
52. pawpar 179
53. tamthebam 171
54. Molotov 170

55. amnarab 169
56. 10menwent2mow, 101, Guy Incognito, Shipa, throbber 168

61. Raidernation, Salvo Montalbano 163
63. Karpaty Lviv, Ray Patterson 162
65. DG.Roma 159
66. alta-pete, Miguel Sanchez 156
68. ThomCat 152
69. get_the_subbies_on, Polarbear, Scorge, The Master 144
73. Cheese 143
74. Florentine_Pogen 140
75. Enigma 128

76. Trogdor 113
77. sophia 85
78. dagane, The Hologram 84

80. Suspect Device 76
81. ICTChris 74
82. Ash1990, Bert Raccoon 72

84. stanton 51
85. BillyAnchor, doulikefish 49
87. falkirktheinvincible 27

88. Everyone else 0 

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CsroU6IlQNJOesOqCc5gsI7SCw8ywBS-PUzQwLTJe4g/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

1 hour ago, BillyAnchor said:

I am starting to pencil in some candidates for the 2025 pool. Should mean they go in the next few months.

Same here.