Livingston v Killie

I think we’ve been the much better side, but haven’t really been able to get into a rhythm. Too much stuff going through Armstrong, and Polworth seems to just be getting in the way. Hopefully can get a goal and kick on. 

I don’t think Livi have been very good, but I’ve definitely seen worse this season and was expecting worse. 

3 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

I don’t think Livi have been very good, but I’ve definitely seen worse this season and was expecting worse. 

I think this aligns with there not being much between the worst teams in the league. We have been toothless this season though.

A tough watch but would have settled for a draw before the game as it's been 3yrs and 2 months since we last won at the Spaghettihad. Still right there fighting for a Euro spot so overall happy enough given how bad our away form is. 

Coming within a baw hair of beating a team that defeated Celtic the week before - that would be considered a good result in any form. Another performance to take encouragement from. Can’t be sulking in this perilous position.

Not much more Davie and the management can do. Anderson is a striker and a professional. His job is to hit the target. Not having any of this ‘he’s not a penalty taker’ talk. He needs to dust himself off and continue to work hard.

11 minutes ago, crispy said:

Not much more Davie and the management can do

I disagree quite strongly with that statement. 

We had 1 shot on target today and no corners which tells you we simply aren't good enough going forward. Now you can have off days but when you haven't scored in 8 games and haven't scored from open play in like 12 hours of football it tells you that our management team need to improve our attacking play and at the very minimum set the team up to score we cannot rely on getting a penalty.

Nouble should not play RWB and absolutely should not have played 90 minutes today as he did very little after his run in the first few minutes but he remained on the pitch as a complete passenger. 

Arguably our most creative player who also happens to be last year's player of the year can't get a look in whereas Shinnie and Sean Kelly continually start. 

Bradley may have had injuries as he's been missing a few times but as another creative player he also can't get a look in. 

Our tactics are atrocious. Just hit it in hope constantly. When we were good today the ball was on the deck. 

I've said before that something needs to change whether that be our tactics or the manager. Sadly Martindale refuses to change his tactics making it increasingly likely that he will have to go soon. 

11 minutes ago, Livi La Vida Loca said:

I disagree quite strongly with that statement. 

We had 1 shot on target today and no corners which tells you we simply aren't good enough going forward. Now you can have off days but when you haven't scored in 8 games and haven't scored from open play in like 12 hours of football it tells you that our management team need to improve our attacking play and at the very minimum set the team up to score we cannot rely on getting a penalty.

Nouble should not play RWB and absolutely should not have played 90 minutes today as he did very little after his run in the first few minutes but he remained on the pitch as a complete passenger. 

Arguably our most creative player who also happens to be last year's player of the year can't get a look in whereas Shinnie and Sean Kelly continually start. 

Bradley may have had injuries as he's been missing a few times but as another creative player he also can't get a look in. 

Our tactics are atrocious. Just hit it in hope constantly. When we were good today the ball was on the deck. 

I've said before that something needs to change whether that be our tactics or the manager. Sadly Martindale refuses to change his tactics making it increasingly likely that he will have to go soon. 

We don't agree on alot. I agree with you on this though.

When you are 5pts adrift at the bottom of the league i think each home game must be a 'must win' game otherwise the gap will remain the same or get bigger and bigger.

9 minutes ago, Livi said:

We don't agree on alot. I agree with you on this though.

When you are 5pts adrift at the bottom of the league i think each home game must be a 'must win' game otherwise the gap will remain the same or get bigger and bigger.

Ok, I understand what you are saying. I don’t think it’s realistic to call each home game a ‘must win’, at any point, for a team like Livi.

I think we are trying to shut up shop and be hard to beat. I’d be curious to know who’s conceded less than us in the last half dozen games. The st mirren goal was an OG and Boyle got fortunate, too. Ok, you can argue  that it’s not worth a lot if only one goal is needed to beat us but I do think we look better defensively.

Edited by crispy

30 minutes ago, crispy said:

Ok, I understand what you are saying. I don’t think it’s realistic to call each home game a ‘must win’, at any point, for a team like Livi.

I think we are trying to shut up shop and be hard to beat. I’d be curious to know who’s conceded less than us in the last half dozen games. The st mirren goal was an OG and Boyle got fortunate, too. Ok, you can argue  that it’s not worth a lot if only one goal is needed to beat us but I do think we look better defensively.

The point is i think Martindale set the team up again today not to lose rather than set them up to win.

The longer we are adrift at the bottom the more at least our home games must become must wins before every match is a must win.

I had a rule to myself not to slag individual Livi players with my comments here which I stuck to for a long time. I broke my rule in recent weeks as I can no longer take seeing Sean Kelly and Guthrie being selected each week. You can't get away with carrying one shite player in your team let alone two. It's not just that they burden the side when playing its also who their selection then doesn't allow to play. Anderson and Stephen Kelly have to sit and watch while this useless lump signed from India and a failed left back turned even worse centre mid play ahead of them. 

We finished the game looking strong and the reason for that is so simple, it was because we had our best players on the pitch in their correct positions. Pittman moving next to Holt meant we gained control of centre midfield for the first time in the match as we had two energetic ball winners in there. In the brief period Nouble was allowed up front we already saw how he can actually control a pass into him and lay it off to a teammate, unlike Guthrie. 

Regarding Anderson's penalty miss, its worth considering the following: He was on the pitch tonight as an over-eager substitute desperate to impress. He wasn't on the pitch as a confident regular starter, relaxed and composed. I've no doubt that difference in mindset will've factored into why he failed with the penalty. Again, picking these incompetent players Guthrie and Sean Kelly causes all these knock-on effects. It benches others (Anderson and Stephen Kelly), it moves others into the wrong position (Nouble at fucking right wing back), it causes others to have to do the job of two players (Holt's defensive shift when Sean Kelly is next to him). 

Martindale doesn't need to banish Sean Kelly and Guthrie like he's done to Bahamboula (a talented player undeserving of his exile, as it happens). I'm fine with them being in the squad but they should be the two players we see the least of not the most of. Sean Kelly has started every single one of these last 8 matches we've failed to win. Maybe that's coincidence but I'd argue it isn't.

Finally, Martindale has tried to change us into a shitfesting team this season when we've never been that under him before. We've not had the players to shiftest since the Gary Holt era. We can't afford the experienced players you need for shitfesting. Bartley was the last one we had. Instead we sign mostly inexperienced players but the trade off is they have enthusiasm and vibrancy. So playing to those strengths is how we've got results the last 3 seasons. Now we've seen that energy and enthusiasm curtailed. Nouble has been forced into stupid defensive positions and it has ruined him. Energetic players who lift the tempo like Anderson, Sangare and Brandon are always on the bench. Instead the team revolves around stodgy carthorses like Sean Kelly and Guthrie.  

Despite the point, shite. Martindale has absolutely sapped the confidence out of guys like Bruce Anderson - who by all accounts is one of our best players.

To drop him, Stephen Kelly and any player with a bit of flare is stinking. IMO time is up for him. We have no discernible style of play other than to disrupt what the other team are doing. The last 10 or so games have been 10 2021 League Cup finals, 10 Marvin Bartleys at wing back. It's painful to watch. No goal from open play in almost 3 months ffs. 

40 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Despite the point, shite. Martindale has absolutely sapped the confidence out of guys like Bruce Anderson - who by all accounts is one of our best players.

To drop him, Stephen Kelly and any player with a bit of flare is stinking. IMO time is up for him. We have no discernible style of play other than to disrupt what the other team are doing. The last 10 or so games have been 10 2021 League Cup finals, 10 Marvin Bartleys at wing back. It's painful to watch. No goal from open play in almost 3 months ffs. 

Ok, I accept that I’m in the minority here and possibly guilty of seeing things through Livi tinted specs. It’s undeniable that we aren’t scoring goals (or raining shots in) so a single goal is enough to beat us.

I would just add that in those same last 10 games you reference there are only 3 teams who have conceded less (Rangers, Celtic, Killie).

Edited by crispy

We were bloody honking today and would not have deserved the 3 points. I do not understand, one bit, why Stephen Kelly isn’t being played. Shinnie and Sean Kelly are both too slow to function in a Livi team. I also don’t get the reluctance to start Anderson. Davie will always be a Livi legend but really starting to run out of patience.

The team that finished the game,should hav started it......

We looked virtually back to our old self's,we looked a threat and all of a sudden everyone was lifted !!

Sean Kelly,Andrew Shinnie and Guthrie,should never be starting a game for me,the difference was there for all to see.

Brandon and Bradley also better than any of the above 3.

Yet just watched DMs interview and it's praising Guthrie,putting the boot into Brucey (x3 times or more)about the penalty .

At least he praised the support this time.

Any other manager would be facing the door,with the run he's on,but unsurprisingly he is not.

Which alludes to something amiss behind closed doors .