Dundee United vs Raith Rovers, 16 Dec…

16 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

I don’t have a problem with anyone claiming we have a good budget for this level, we do. It’ll be nowhere near Dundee United’s though so to be ahead of them at this stage, when they themselves have had a very strong start, is a great effort.

We also won’t be paying massive wages compared to other sides, we’ll definitely be in the top 4 I’d imagine (as you’d expect given our crowds) but any talk of us having the second biggest budget by a distance is nonsense.

I also find it funny when some Pars fans (not Salvo tbf, he generally seems one of the best Dunfermline posters) claim we are spending huge unsustainable sums on players when they were lining up all summer to tell us Dabrowski was pish, they wouldn’t take Euan Murray back ahead of their current centre backs, Callum Smith was never good enough for this level and there’s no way Shaun Byrne turned them down because they didn’t have any need for him. Now, apparently we’re only doing so well because we have loads of players we can’t afford and everyone expected us to be up there…

Strongly agree. It's silly to suggest we're not spending decent money. McGlynn was seemingly throwing daft money around, but we wouldn't have been in a position to sign someone like Jack Hamilton during his spell. There has definitely been an increase there. 

It's worth noting, however, that there's hardly an ounce of fat in the Rovers squad. Go back even to last year and there were guys like Connor McBride and Willy Akio hanging around where you're throwing money away. With the exception of Ross Matthews (who's been with us for a decade and is coming off a long-term injury) and Ethan Ross (who's out on loan at Falkirk and having his wages covered) every one of our senior players has contributed significantly this season. There's nobody who we're looking to offload in January. And beyond our senior players, we only have five younger guys, and three of those are out on loan. 

The Rovers are categorically spending money this season, but you can see almost every penny of it on the park. I think that creates a bit of a illusion. You'll find the likes of Caley Thistle will be a lot closer budget wise than you'd first suspect, because of the amount they're spending on jobbers who'll never be good enough for this level. 

I'd completely forgotten about the Rovers fan who dressed up as Old Father Time yesterday, but had "Old Father Injury Time" written on his scythe, fair play to him, it was some effort. 

Absolutely adored yesterday, from start to finish, as a few folk have pointed out, it was pretty much the perfect away day. 

My thoughts going into it were that United were favourites, but that Rovers could very much give them a game and potentially nick it, and you could maybe just about extend that to the season as a whole now.

Will Dundee United end the season top of the Championship, probably, but Rovers can absolutely pip them, which to even be able to suggest is quite something. I mean, you could maybe argue United have been the better side in the two games so far, but Rovers have largely kept them at arms length in both. I'm not sure there's that much between them at all as it stands. 

Agreed with what Hank Scorpio said before the game about how every now and again, a team comes along that makes everything worthwhile. Lets face it, for most weeks, supporting a provincial club, for me at least, and probably a fair few others, the actual 90 minutes is just a part of the social aspect of the Saturday, and can be largely forgettable. Being out and about before and after can be the best part of the actual day. 

That's not the case now though. Every 90 minutes feels absolutely huge, they're generally all humdingers and I'm leaving games with a massive grin on my daft face, excited and simultaneously worried sick about the next one. 

It wasn't that long ago we were sharing a third tier with all four Angus teams, not to denigrate Montrose, Arbroath, Forfar and Brechin incidentally, as they each have a lot to admire as clubs and as an away trip, but it felt like we were making the trek every fortnight, with about 250 others to watch us lose 2-1 every time, it was absolute tripe.

Four years later we're taking 2000 fans along to watch us beat Dundee United 1-0 at Tannadice and move five points clear of the Championship, it's all very silly. I'll enjoy it for as long as it lasts, but the turnaround in that time is pretty extraordinary, and everyone involved in making it happen should be pretty proud. 

59 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

I'd completely forgotten about the Rovers fan who dressed up as Old Father Time yesterday, but had "Old Father Injury Time" written on his scythe, fair play to him, it was some effort. 

Absolutely adored yesterday, from start to finish, as a few folk have pointed out, it was pretty much the perfect away day. 

My thoughts going into it were that United were favourites, but that Rovers could very much give them a game and potentially nick it, and you could maybe just about extend that to the season as a whole now.

Will Dundee United end the season top of the Championship, probably, but Rovers can absolutely pip them, which to even be able to suggest is quite something. I mean, you could maybe argue United have been the better side in the two games so far, but Rovers have largely kept them at arms length in both. I'm not sure there's that much between them at all as it stands. 

Agreed with what Hank Scorpio said before the game about how every now and again, a team comes along that makes everything worthwhile. Lets face it, for most weeks, supporting a provincial club, for me at least, and probably a fair few others, the actual 90 minutes is just a part of the social aspect of the Saturday, and can be largely forgettable. Being out and about before and after can be the best part of the actual day. 

That's not the case now though. Every 90 minutes feels absolutely huge, they're generally all humdingers and I'm leaving games with a massive grin on my daft face, excited and simultaneously worried sick about the next one. 

It wasn't that long ago we were sharing a third tier with all four Angus teams, not to denigrate Montrose, Arbroath, Forfar and Brechin incidentally, as they each have a lot to admire as clubs and as an away trip, but it felt like we were making the trek every fortnight, with about 250 others to watch us lose 2-1 every time, it was absolute tripe.

Four years later we're taking 2000 fans along to watch us beat Dundee United 1-0 at Tannadice and move five points clear of the Championship, it's all very silly. I'll enjoy it for as long as it lasts, but the turnaround in that time is pretty extraordinary, and everyone involved in making it happen should be pretty proud. 

Aye it seems the village idiots ain't village idiots after all, they're doing a fantastic job both on and off the park, unlike a lot of their predecessors over the years

32 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Aye it seems the village idiots ain't village idiots after all, they're doing a fantastic job both on and off the park, unlike a lot of their predecessors over the years

It would be brilliant to get a picture of them, if we manage to pull this off, all with village idiot signs.

12 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I'm not giving advice at all - except where I gave your club praise for using their funds well! You may well have those young players, but the players named in my post are still there and still drawing a wage. It's like a Man Utd fan saying that they aren't paying big wages because they signed Jonny Evans on a free from Leicester and they have a couple of academy graduates in their squad. It's honestly baffling to me the mental gymnastics some Raith fans use to try and deny they have a very competitive playing budget for the division. And again, for the avoidance of doubt - I'm not advising/lecturing/pontificating, just commenting on the situation without prejudice. 

I agree with you all those players will be on decent money, I think the defensiveness comes from the theory we are throwing money about left,right and centre. I would say we signed good championship players, no real big names from the premier league and took a chance on a couple namely corr, big kev and young Callum. We will have a healthy budget definitely  but the increase in crowds, match day hospitality, finishing higher than last season and getting a couple of big earners off the books in jammer and Ethan Ross should ( I hope) balance the books, time will tell