Reacher

LIVIFOREVER

I'm finding this season harder going than before. The way they meet Dixon, was that a huge coincidence or was it design? It's never explained, but it feels like coincidence which is bad writing.

Robert Patrick is phoning this in and the script feels unnatural. The big man is just a bit too on the nose with his smart arsery, the baddie using the same fucking initials for each of his aliases and the New York cop just letting Reacher and co in on the evidence and letting them go is silly.

The whole thing feels silly and I'm not buying the chemistry between Reacher and Dixon at all. Robert Patrick's performance and script are just fucking dreadful though. "The big man, now who the hell could he be talking about?" is the kind of line I expect from one of the Chuckle Brothers. Rubbish.

I'll give it one more episode but it's a story with little suspense as everything is just delivered to them and clues simply appear. The lump of plywood playing Reacher isn't doing this any favours either. He makes Mike Colter (Luke Cage) look like Jack Nicholson.

E.T.A. Nah, it's pish. I'm out.

Edited by velo army

On 19/12/2023 at 11:52, funky_nomad said:

The only thing I find off-putting is Reacher's stride length - for such a behemoth he takes teeny-tiny steps rather than eating up the ground. I'm finding it increasingly hard to ignore 😆

I hadn't noticed that in the first series, but after reading your post i can't not see it, and yep, it's now annoying me too, thanks for that.😂

On 31/12/2023 at 12:07, velo army said:

I'm finding this season harder going than before. The way they meet Dixon, was that a huge coincidence or was it design? It's never explained, but it feels like coincidence which is bad writing.

Robert Patrick is phoning this in and the script feels unnatural. The big man is just a bit too on the nose with his smart arsery, the baddie using the same fucking initials for each of his aliases and the New York cop just letting Reacher and co in on the evidence and letting them go is silly.

The whole thing feels silly and I'm not buying the chemistry between Reacher and Dixon at all. Robert Patrick's performance and script are just fucking dreadful though. "The big man, now who the hell could he be talking about?" is the kind of line I expect from one of the Chuckle Brothers. Rubbish.

I'll give it one more episode but it's a story with little suspense as everything is just delivered to them and clues simply appear. The lump of plywood playing Reacher isn't doing this any favours either. He makes Mike Colter (Luke Cage) look like Jack Nicholson.

E.T.A. Nah, it's pish. I'm out.

Can't help but think there's a twist to come, and one of his special investigators team is betraying him, not the obvious one, Swan, think he's being set up as the traitor, and it's Dixon or O'Donnell.

Spoiler below relates to Ep5 Burial

Spoiler

Couple of professional hitters (Reacher's words, not mine) hit absolutely nothing at the cemetery apart from the odd head stone despite having plenty of time and cover to set up. Then had no obvious escape route planned and are easily captured by Reacher and Russo. Professional my arse.

2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Can't help but think there's a twist to come, and one of his special investigators team is betraying him, not the obvious one, Swan, think he's being set up as the traitor, and it's Dixon or O'Donnell.

Given the rules of such things then the traitor is the woman who originally brought the case to him. The femme fatale.

29 minutes ago, velo army said:

Given the rules of such things then the traitor is the woman who originally brought the case to him. The femme fatale.

Didn't even want to consider her, his bestie, noooooooooooooooooooooooooo please dont let it be Neagley.

2 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Didn't even want to consider her, his bestie, noooooooooooooooooooooooooo please dont let it be Neagley.

How often do you tell her she's clever? Not nearly enough 😉

6 minutes ago, velo army said:

How often do you tell her she's clever? Not nearly enough 😉

Dixon's real name is Swan, Swan is the one being made out to be the traitor.................. think i'm going down a bit of a rabbit hole now.😂

2 hours ago, velo army said:

As someone said earlier, they just happened to bump into Dixon, just completely out the blue. Coincidence?

6 hours ago, Swarley said:

As someone said earlier, they just happened to bump into Dixon, just completely out the blue. Coincidence?

Aye it was me. The whole thing is a series of Deus ex Machina where if the script needs something to happen then it does. Rubbish.

On 19/12/2023 at 11:52, funky_nomad said:

The only thing I find off-putting is Reacher's stride length - for such a behemoth he takes teeny-tiny steps rather than eating up the ground. I'm finding it increasingly hard to ignore 😆

I've just seen this in episode 5 of season 2, but tbf to him, I'm going to put it down to the fact that he appears to be wearing Dixon's trousers, and it must be pretty hard to stride out when they are that tight.

I've read (well, listened to audiobooks in the car) the first 12 books and found the last two (this was from book 11) to be a downturn in quality. They are very formulaic anyway but there's a definite feeling of clues being presented when required as someone mentioned so i was surprised they chose this. I've not watched any of series 2 but will give it a go as I enjoyed the first series. 

Part of the attraction of Reacher in the books is, beyond the normal suspension of belief required for most "action thrillers", there didn't seem to be anything overly unbelievable - most (while obviously not all) plot devices fell within the realms of possibility, and entirely pretty much all are within character. I suspect that's one of the reasons why the books are so popular.

At no stage while reading the books did I find myself laughing out loud at the action scenes, but the "laughs due to ridiculousness" count during Season 2 was off the chart, particularly during the season finale. I'm not sure I'll be back for Season 3, tbh.

I really enjoyed season 1, and was really looking forward to season 2 but it was dreadfull stuff. All the we are the special investigators stuff was cringy at best, and was all lets kill people rather than actually investigating anything, it really was poor.

Love the books but the whole point of them in the main is: Reacher gets off bus in random Shitsville, USA; gets accused of a crime or stops a crime from happening; solves crime; kills bad guy; gets on bus to new town. Bringing in the Unit would work - as it did in the books - if there was a solid body of work behind it and it made sense or if they did a full flashback series (like the book set in Hamburg) but not for season 2 of a new series IMO. The crime was too big, not like the "local bad guys up to no good" stuff in the books, the timeline etc was all over the place (the folk who were in Georgia were back in New York without any explanation about how they got there, the funeral happened when? Etc) and the final episode fights were just ridiculous both the storming of the facility and the shite on the chopper. Didn't enjoy this series at all but I'll probably still watch a season 3.

9 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Love the books but the whole point of them in the main is: Reacher gets off bus in random Shitsville, USA; gets accused of a crime or stops a crime from happening; solves crime; kills bad guy; gets on bus to new town. Bringing in the Unit would work - as it did in the books - if there was a solid body of work behind it and it made sense or if they did a full flashback series (like the book set in Hamburg) but not for season 2 of a new series IMO. The crime was too big, not like the "local bad guys up to no good" stuff in the books, the timeline etc was all over the place (the folk who were in Georgia were back in New York without any explanation about how they got there, the funeral happened when? Etc) and the final episode fights were just ridiculous both the storming of the facility and the shite on the chopper. Didn't enjoy this series at all but I'll probably still watch a season 3.

Season 3 is based on one of the best books of the series in my opinion. Could be a cracker if they stick to the story.