Raith Rovers vs Ayr United, 22 Dec

18 hours ago, Enigma said:

We’ve actually got a pretty decent record of being ahead at half time, but yeah, I’d take nothing for granted except the three points.

In League, through 16 matches:

Up at the half in 9, but stayed up the whole second half in only 4 of those. In the other 5, in 3 ended up falling behind but still won, in 1 we let them tie it up and then won, and in the last it ended a draw.

6 League matches were a draw at the half (all but one scoreless), and we won 5 and lost 1. One of the wins included falling behind before coming back.

1 League match down at the half, ended in a draw.

20 hours ago, AuAl said:

Going to be up Fife way anyway this weekend so I will be in attendance - I hate myself for it already.

Where's decent for pre match food and drinks in Kirkcaldy? 

I think everywhere will be booked out with work’s Christmas party nights.

A crazy move by the clubs to move this fixture to the day most people will be breaking off.

1 hour ago, Kirkcaldybanjo said:

A crazy move by the clubs to move this fixture to the day most people will be breaking off.

Makes zero sense when Christmas isn't until Monday

Clubs just throwing away loss of income IMO

Should be games on Tuesday 26th too

4 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Makes zero sense when Christmas isn't until Monday

Clubs just throwing away loss of income IMO

Should be games on Tuesday 26th too

Supporting a football club is expensive enough for some, to throw in an additional match at a particularly difficult time of the year financially is lunacy.

14 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Supporting a football club is expensive enough for some, to throw in an additional match at a particularly difficult time of the year financially is lunacy.

Used to be fixtures on boxing day up until only a few years ago

On 17/12/2023 at 17:55, itzdrk said:

We'll be getting f**k all from this one.  

I wish I had your confidence. Apparently Raith haven’t won a game by more than 1 goal all season.

*Ayr United* “hold my beer”

Call me Nostradamus but Raith’s inevitable couple of goals between the 88th and 96th minute will be the icing on their Christmas cake and another  final nail in Bullens coffin.

3 hours ago, Kirkcaldybanjo said:

Mathie touted the idea of Ayr playing certain games against teams without a large travelling support at 17:30 on a Saturday, that would allow a fan zone type day where they could have the hub open longer and have activities etc to maximise revenue from home fans for a couple of extra hours and allow a stream to be sold to the likes of Arbroath or Inverness supporters, the thinking being, they would sell more stream passes than matchday tickets. 

For Raith and Ayr to both agree, more so Raith, to a change to the Friday night at this time of year, means that they will have an even smaller crowd than they would have done had they left it on the Saturday. If they don't offer a stream then they will be leaving money on the table. 

The only people that will benefit from the game moving are any English or foreign players that will get to go home a day or two early.  

2 minutes ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

I'd love to know the exact reason for this game being moved, given I could have made it on Saturday but not Friday night. There are enough games getting moved to Friday nights for the BBC. "Its close to Christmas" really doesn't cut it.

After discussion and agreement between Raith Rovers FC and Ayr United FC, the Scottish Professional Football League have authorised a change to the fixture list.

Rovers v Ayr – Match rescheduled | Raith Rovers FC

Just now, Rb123 said:

It's probably us who requested it so Bullen can head back down the road to Sheffield on the Saturday along with our large contingent of english based players 

I was thinking that when I read what Diego posted below.

53 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

The only people that will benefit from the game moving are any English or foreign players that will get to go home a day or two early

I can't complain as I'm away anyway but can understand fans being frustrated with the move. 

I presume there will be a stream?

17 hours ago, TxRover said:

In League, through 16 matches:

Up at the half in 9, but stayed up the whole second half in only 4 of those. In the other 5, in 3 ended up falling behind but still won, in 1 we let them tie it up and then won, and in the last it ended a draw.

6 League matches were a draw at the half (all but one scoreless), and we won 5 and lost 1. One of the wins included falling behind before coming back.

1 League match down at the half, ended in a draw.

Jason Bateman Cotton GIF

I'd just assumed that it was moved as they assumed people would be doing all of their christmas shopping on the Saturday (assuming everyone doesn't just buy it all online now anyway.

I wouldn't be in favour of bringing back Boxing Day games.  I don't have to worry about how much I drink on Chjristmas Day now as I don't need to drive the next day.  Also, if there's a game on Boxing Day, the players would need to train on Christmas Day.  Really not great for those with kids in particular.

I actually quite like the Friday night games (even away ones).  I get how it's not great for some but as I drive to most games (and a home game is an hour's drive for me anyway) it really doesn't make it any harder for me.  Also allows me to go and watch my local amateur team on a Saturday.

Edit: bloody hell that was a bit too much assuming in that first paragraph.....

Edited by AllanJM

12 hours ago, Rb123 said:

Used to be fixtures on boxing day up until only a few years ago

Our last Boxing Day home fixture was in 1994 when we beat Airdrie 3-2. The last Boxing Day fixture I attended was a 2-0 defeat at Cappielow in 2005.

I think the last Boxing Day fixture involving Rovers was a 1-1 draw away at Somerset Park in 2011.