Derek Adams interview

4 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I don't watch much Premier League, but whenever I see it I'm struck by the ease with which players make being a footballer look so easy. Controlling the ball on the move, making an accurate pass etc. Our boys make that look tough.

Maybe because it is? Just a thought.

There's a reason why the top players in the world earn so much money. It's weird how it's considered reasonable to compare average workers to the leading lights in their industry when most people would think you were at it if you castigated Tam on the lighbulb production line for not being as good at electricity as Nikola Tesla.

Just now, eindhovendee said:

In general the football supporters in know from various clubs couldn't give a shit about Scotland never mind its football leagues.

I think that is the case across the board though, a lot of folk in Scotland couldn't give a toss about the Premiership, or Championship etc. However we do not do enough to sell our product, which I guess is another discussion. 

17 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

My missus likes me.

Or, at least, she says she does.

Actually, she never says that.

She's still here.

She's not actually. She's at work. I think she'll come back.

If she doesn't she's probably made off with all your valuables to display in her own house for the next 300 years.

Faintly facetious from me, but there is an element of truth within it. Football clubs and nations are a reflection of the communities they represent in large part, and what I'm getting at is more that Scottish football is a reflection of Scotland. IMO, we're not a confident outwardly facing nation, and neither is our football. It's as much a national psyche thing as it is marketing (although I appreciate one informs the other). 

Some of the questions you get living down South, from broadly intelligent, educated people, boggle the mind though. "Does Scotland have trains?" still rattles round my head as someone explained to me the concept of what a train was and how it works.

Just now, LondonHMFC said:

I think that is the case across the board though, a lot of folk in Scotland couldn't give a toss about the Premiership, or Championship etc. However we do not do enough to sell our product, which I guess is another discussion. 

True but this is a thread about a manager in the Premiership telling the world, and Sky, that the product is shite.

5 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

True but this is a thread about a manager in the Premiership telling the world, and Sky, that the product is shite.

And what we serve up to the watching world, more often than not is "shite". That issue lies with the powers that be, until there are fundamental changes at top level, it's going to continue on that trajectory. 

7 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

In general the football supporters in know from various clubs couldn't give a shit about Scotland never mind its football leagues.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9387164.stm

I remember visiting a pal in Newcastle when the above OF game was played. I was mid-20s, and had been brought up with the BBC Scotland rhetoric that the eyes of the world watched the old firm derby. 

Honestly, had I not already known it was happening I'd never have found out. A football mad city, spitting distance of the border - and nobody, anywhere, gave a shit.

7 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

. "Does Scotland have trains?" still rattles round my head as someone explained to me the concept of what a train was and how it works.

If someone ever asked me such a stupid question I would’ve said we didn’t and got them to explain at length what they were, in the hope that they go through life thinking it’s true and then end up looking like a total c**t at some point, hopefully on television.

5 minutes ago, Estragon said:

I remember visiting a pal in Newcastle when the above OF game was played. I was mid-20s, and had been brought up with the BBC Scotland rhetoric that the eyes of the world watched the old firm derby. 

Honestly, had I not already known it was happening I'd never have found out. A football mad city, spitting distance of the border - and nobody, anywhere, gave a shit.

Aye, that's really common. For all the chat, you'll find OF games are on in certain places where their fans are regulars, but nowhere else if there's another game on.

There's nothing really wrong with that. There's no reason for someone in Newcastle, Birmingham, or Manchester to be more interested in watching a Scottish game than Crystal Palace v Liverpool, but it is quite funny when you hear the Scottish media rhetoric around the fixture.

On occasions when I've been unable to get up the road for a derby, it takes planning ahead to find a pub that will show Hearts v Hibs if there's any clash with an English game. If you haven't called ahead and confirmed it, it's wise to watch it in the hoose, as heading to the pub will likely result in a disappointing afternoon of Fulham v Newcastle.

Edited by VincentGuerin

Just now, Estragon said:

Yeah, we've a really strange concept of how Scottish football is viewed outside the country. Which is to say that, by and large, it isn't. Even the Celtgers fans and their "massive global audience" are playing to expats. Why on Earth would anyone else be watching it? They've got their own leagues, and the glory-hunters have the proper global competitions of England, Spain, and Italy with the best players in the world to be concerning themselves with.

Are we really annoyed that we don't compete with them? That's just mental; like being miserable because you don't live a billionaire lifestyle.

20 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

How many Scots watch Olympiakos v Panathinaikos, Benfica v Sporting Lisbon, Austria Vienna v Rapid, Copenhagen v Brondby, derbies in Istanbul or Moscow etc.? I doubt many... I doubt they watch OF.

Besiktas vs Fenerbahce?

I lived in England and Wales for 4 years or so and it was more indifference than disdain that I picked up unless a 'battle of Britain' scenario happened. I also became indifferent to Scottish Football at that time tbh.

Probably identical to how Scottish fans feel about the League of Ireland. Majority are unintentionally disrespectful or indifferent imo.

Edited by 2426255

7 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Do Ross County make a habit of hiring absolute roasters as manager?

Assuming that's the criteria, who will be next when Adams gets his big move to a proper league like the Southern League Division One (South)?

52 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Do Ross County make a habit of hiring absolute roasters as manager?

41 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Assuming that's the criteria, who will be next when Adams gets his big move to a proper league like the Southern League Division One (South)?

Already had John Hughes there so we need a new roaster next. What's Stephen Pressley doing these days?