European Superstate

Richey Edwards

On 23/12/2023 at 16:37, Michael W said:

Only if speaking French becomes an imprisonable offence. 

aye, what use would being able to speak French be? 

Spoiler

france.thumb.jpg.e81209ede03d7ef4322e79cb59ed092b.jpg

france2.jpg.b54da68e477307ba0a93e50b85590a3f.jpg

17 hours ago, tamthebam said:

aye, what use would being able to speak French be? 

Reveal hidden contents

france.thumb.jpg.e81209ede03d7ef4322e79cb59ed092b.jpg

france2.jpg.b54da68e477307ba0a93e50b85590a3f.jpg

If Bonnie Prince Charlie had made it to London and George 11 had been removed back to his German Principality there is always a possibility that we would be Catholic and speaking French today.

From my point of view Bonnie Prince Charlie was a disaster as far as the Highlands and Clans were concerned yet for many Scots he is regarded as some sort of romantic figure.

On 03/01/2024 at 11:17, coprolite said:

Depends what you mean by super- state.

If you mean a unified entity that takes the place of current state level governments as a member of the UN etc then i agree that's unlikely. National identity is a big reason for that. 

If you mean something state-like that sits above the current states then they're part way there. 

Bear in mind that Germany and Italy are relativity newish European countries composed of many principalities and fiefdoms pulled together under one banner by Otto von Bismarck and Giuseppi Garibaldi respectively.

However the closest, in my opinion, Europe ever produced a unified Super state would be Germany and the Third Reich from 1935 - 1939.

As a wee Michael Caine btw, to this day there is over 100 names for bread in various dialects and minority linguistics in Italy.

12 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

If Bonnie Prince Charlie had made it to London and George 11 had been removed back to his German Principality there is always a possibility that we  would be speaking French today.

No there wouldn’t 

1 minute ago, MazzyStar said:

No there wouldn’t 

Why not?

I posted, 'always a possibility'.

Given Charles's catholic support from Rome Spain and France who would have opposed him?

Plus Hanoverian support in england was not universally popular.

Admittedly the finance for the venture came from Rome and Spain with France initially offering little but there is no doubt if Charles had secured London and the English Throne France would have come in big style.

BUT, as I said it is only a possibility but one that may well have succeeded.

22 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Bear in mind that Germany and Italy are relativity newish European countries composed of many principalities and fiefdoms pulled together under one banner by Otto von Bismarck and Giuseppi Garibaldi respectively.

However the closest, in my opinion, Europe ever produced a unified Super state would be Germany and the Third Reich from 1935 - 1939.

As a wee Michael Caine btw, to this day there is over 100 names for bread in various dialects and minority linguistics in Italy.

Not wanting to go all "Greenock's greatest qualified historian" on you and much as I admire Garibaldi but a chap called Cavour also played his part...

cavour.jpg.fd37e601cb49effac753463b0e593f0e.jpg

What's the matter you, hey, gotta no respect? It's a not so bad, Unified Italy's a nice-a place. Ah shaddupya face. 

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

Again, depends what you mean by countries. Germany and Italy were there before they were unified polities. They’ll still be there if there’s another level of government above the “nation state” level. 

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

Why not?

I posted, 'always a possibility'.

Given Charles's catholic support from Rome Spain and France who would have opposed him?

Plus Hanoverian support in england was not universally popular.

Admittedly the finance for the venture came from Rome and Spain with France initially offering little but there is no doubt if Charles had secured London and the English Throne France would have come in big style.

BUT, as I said it is only a possibility but one that may well have succeeded.

A very, very unlikely possibility 

17 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Not wanting to go all "Greenock's greatest qualified historian" on you and much as I admire Garibaldi but a chap called Cavour also played his part...

cavour.jpg.fd37e601cb49effac753463b0e593f0e.jpg

What's the matter you, hey, gotta no respect? It's a not so bad, Unified Italy's a nice-a place. Ah shaddupya face. 

Absolutely correct that others were involved in Italy's Unification as a country, but Garabaldi has been pushed to the fore as a driving force.

Love his biscuits.

Edited by SandyCromarty

• 2 months later...
On 05/01/2024 at 10:02, SandyCromarty said:

Absolutely correct that others were involved in Italy's Unification as a country, but Garabaldi has been pushed to the fore as a driving force.

Love his biscuits.

I can thoroughly recommend the book 'The Hero's Way' by Tim Parks.