European Superstate

Richey Edwards

I would be perfectly happy with a European superstate based on a federal system where most of the time you can ignore the other states in the same union.  

For anyone who being paying attention the American posters on this thread mention that if you live in New Hampshire you are not especially affected by how people vote in North Dakota, Nebraska or Nevada.

If England and Wales were in the same union but do not dominate Scotland then why you care?

6 hours ago, Fullerene said:

For anyone who being paying attention the American posters on this thread mention that if you live in New Hampshire you are not especially affected by how people vote in North Dakota, Nebraska or Nevada.

Partially true. Unfortunately the behaviors and beliefs of the more Conservative, low population State can still have significant impact on Liberal high population States due to the representational rules. Better get it right if you want to go that route.

Edited by TxRover

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Partially true. Unfortunately the behaviors and believes of the more Conservative, low population State can still have significant impact on Liberal high population States due to the representational rules. Better get it right if you want to go that route.

Yes.  I do know that Wyoming has as many senators as California and all that.  Yes.  The senate is skewed and always has been.  I understand that.

However I recall one poster on here who has lived in New Hampshire for decades and who said life in New Hampshire stayed remarkably the same regardless of Washington because state law often has a bigger impact on daily life than federal law.

That was the point I was making.

9 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Yes.  I do know that Wyoming has as many senators as California and all that.  Yes.  The senate is skewed and always has been.  I understand that.

However I recall one poster on here who has lived in New Hampshire for decades and who said life in New Hampshire stayed remarkably the same regardless of Washington because state law often has a bigger impact on daily life than federal law.

That was the point I was making.

It was absolutely true until the ‘60’s or so. Creeping Federalism has eroded States rights, often for good reason, but also making things more homogenous. It was a power for good until the Reagan Revolution, and since then it’s downhill…that’s my point/take. I understand your take as well, but (for instance) Scotland has had a mild de-Federalism with Holyrood, so the experience is a bit different.

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

Define superstate.

The USA is sort of one.  It consists of 50 states and some of these states would succeed fairly well independently but choose not to be. 

(Yes, I know that 4 originally were but that is not the point).