QPFC v Airdrie 30 Dec 23

I don't think we'll get a better opportunity to win a game and hopefully kick on a bit any time soon.

Airdrie aren't a particularly physical team (something we struggle massively against) from what I've seen so unlike some of our other recent opposition, if we can keep things tight at the back like we did against United then we'll hopefully limit their attempts at breaking us down.

We obviously need to start scoring again too though, but again because of the similar ways both teams like to play football I'd like to think we'll look more threatening here than we have done the past few weeks.

I still have massive concerns about this team all over the park and they're certainly capable of massive regression again. January will be vital in that we still need 3/4 good quality signings and an experienced manager, but I'm not dreading Saturday which is as good as it's going to get in our current position.

Edited by Zanetti

We looked so much better as a unit against United, but this will be an entirely different type of game. Would expect this one to be more open, which doesn’t necessarily suit us. We really need a win, but a point wouldn’t kill morale. A defeat would. 

My worry is who exactly is conducting our transfer business? We need bodies in in January and normal functioning football clubs will already be working on this. We don’t actually even know how long Nuijten is in charge for. 

On 26/12/2023 at 12:25, David Fernández said:

Queens Park and Airdrie to draw 1-1 for the hundredth time in recent years in a game of low quality, few chances and both teams gifting eachother goals from trying to play it out from the back.

foot-ball-the-simpsons.gif

Spot on. I think 10 of the last 13 games between them have been draws after 90 minutes, with four of the last five games being 1-1 after 90 minutes. Two teams who really need a win, both very capable of finding a way to lose to the other, but get the mortgage on another 1-1.

Edited by Mr November

17 hours ago, Diamonds02 said:

Any decent pubs in and around hampden?

Ideally looking to avoid the old firm nonsense although I know that is a long shot.

Even our own social club promoting having it on the TV. Not a fan of that imo but if it lures in a few random suckers paying their wild drink prices then job done. 

It'll be on everywhere sadly but plenty of places to go. Armstrong's on Battlefield Rd probably as far as I'd go, then you've got Clockwork/Florida Park/Tartan Coo along Cathcart Rd, or the Montford and Beechwood on the Toryglen side of Hampden.

17 hours ago, Diamonds02 said:

Any decent pubs in and around hampden?

Ideally looking to avoid the old firm nonsense although I know that is a long shot.

Closest ones that I can think of without a tele are Ryan’s, The Bell Jar, Rum Shack and the Rose Reilly. All a touch hipsterish on the clientele front, but probably your best bet if you’re looking to avoid the game.

15/20 minute walk or you can nick onto the 1441 at Queen’s Park, which is less than five minutes to Mount Florida. Often the cheat route I take for a Scotland game in order to secure an extra pre-match pint. 

11 minutes ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Florida Park. Good boozer. Disnae have Sky/BT (or whatever the f**k it’s called now). 

Genuinely didn’t even realise that. Just assumed it had it, despite being in relatively regularly. Usually rolling off a bus pished, right enough. 

In terms of the game, I’m liking Nuijten’s chat more than Veldman and Beuker’s. Less waffle about philosophy and more about the desire to win games and what’s required to do it. Refreshing, but ultimately the talking needs to be done on the park. 

18 hours ago, an86 said:

In terms of the game, I’m liking Nuijten’s chat more than Veldman and Beuker’s. Less waffle about philosophy and more about the desire to win games and what’s required to do it. Refreshing, but ultimately the talking needs to be done on the park. 

Aye, I quite liked the “the Dundee Utd game won’t mean much if we don’t win on Saturday” patter. For all that he somehow took positives from the Morton game, his interviews have been encouraging since.

Still be fuming if we appoint him permanently right enough. 

1 hour ago, Gall09 said:

Aye, I quite liked the “the Dundee Utd game won’t mean much if we don’t win on Saturday” patter. For all that he somehow took positives from the Morton game, his interviews have been encouraging since.

Still be fuming if we appoint him permanently right enough. 

If the board have reached the same conclusion that a) Beuker’s signings were a science experiment gone wrong and b) staying in the Championship won’t happen without some aulder heids, then Dutch Paul and his marketing degree can’t be trusted with the bank card. I hope, however, his future is decided on his own ability and he doesn’t get punished for the failings of his countryman. Still a big role at the YQP initiative.