Celtic V Rangers - Sat 30th December

2 hours ago, itzdrk said:

What? :lol:

That's just my opinion. Given the precedent already established around the handball rule I think it's a penalty. When I saw it I thought Johnston was lucky. I understand it was later explained as being offside which is fine, however as a goal kick was given instead of a free kick that tells you it wasn't given as offside at the time of the incident whether it should have been or not.

If it's not offside, then it's a penalty - that's my logic.

Edited by 2426255

15 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

That's just my opinion. Given the precedent already established around the handball rule I think it's a penalty. When I saw it I thought Johnston was lucky. I understand it was later explained as being offside which is fine, however as a goal kick was given instead of a free kick that tells you it wasn't given as offside at the time of the incident whether it should have been or not.

Is it not because they checked to see if it was a penalty, it wasn't because he is offside so it goes back to the original decision which was a goal kick? I could be wrong as I really don't know the ins and outs of VAR protocols.

Edited by gannonball

13 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

It's all about ifs and buts for the hand ball. The VAR guys thought it wasn't worth a pen. It went out of play, so a goal kick.

If the VAR guys thought the Ref needed to look at it he would have followed the original attack and seen it was offsides so no pen. A free kick for offsides would have been awarded.

The check for a pen and possible offsides was irrelevant for the simple reason it wasn't considered a penalty offence to begin with. You might disagree, fair enough. However, there is a desperate attempt being made at Ibrox to make the No-pen decision and offsides (irrelevant at that point) all the same thing. 

After the fact, the Sky team was told it would have been offsides anyway had VAR looked at it. This is being used as a smoking gun when it was neither here nor there at that point. 

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Genuinely didn't know they painted a bridge for some reason :lol:

59 minutes ago, bennett said:

That was some mess that they made of that bridge, a pity that they won't be made to clean up their mess.

Wonderful gesture to paint a French flag 🇫🇷 on the morning of the fixture in tribute to Dembele, Eduoard and N'tcham who have all scored winning goals against them in recent years. 

16 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

It's all about ifs and buts for the hand ball. The VAR guys thought it wasn't worth a pen. It went out of play, so a goal kick.

If the VAR guys thought the Ref needed to look at it he would have followed the original attack and seen it was offsides so no pen. A free kick for offsides would have been awarded.

The check for a pen and possible offsides was irrelevant for the simple reason it wasn't considered a penalty offence to begin with. You might disagree, fair enough. However, there is a desperate attempt being made at Ibrox to make the No-pen decision and offsides (irrelevant at that point) all the same thing. 

After the fact, the Sky team was told it would have been offsides anyway had VAR looked at it. This is being used as a smoking gun when it was neither here nor there at that point. 

I agree with all of that. I wouldn't say a penalty should in an ideal world be given for that incident, but if offside isn't coming into it then in my opinion it was a penalty given the way football has gone recently. I am more Celtic sided in the Old Firm spectrum, but that's how I see it.

Rangers response is pure self interest, I don't like that. If it happened the other way around they would be fine with it - they should just take it on the chin and move on.

Edited by 2426255

35 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Is it not because they checked to see if it was a penalty, it wasn't because he is offside so it goes back to the original decision which was a goal kick? I could be wrong as I really don't know the ins and outs of VAR protocols.

No if he gives the offside instead of a pen then it “should” be a free kick. The time taken to make the decision shows Collum decided no penalty as the VAR would have taken longer if they decided it was a pen. They would then have to check the attacking phase which would have ruled it out anyway hence why you see the offside part later. 

The offside hasn’t been part of the decision making here, it’s just been shown to show that even if Collum throught it was a penalty, the ref would never have been invited to view it pitchside as there was an offside in the build up anyway. 

Collum is probably wrong to say it’s not a penalty, I think most of us think it is however it would never have been taken

You can then say why bother checking the attacking phase and show it if the original decision was no penalty as no foul is committed, I think they do this anyway as part of their process it just doesn’t have to be done before allowing play to continue.

Edited by Jinky67

8 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Wonderful gesture to paint a French flag 🇫🇷 on the morning of the fixture in tribute to Dembele, Eduoard and N'tcham who have all scored winning goals against them in recent years. 

I thought that they were being dicks but your argument for them building relationships between the fans and trying to bring people together paints a different picture. 

Its still surprising me that Balogun spitting at Celtic fans is being roundly ignored.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It’s still surprising me that Balogun spitting at Celtic fans is being roundly ignored.

I posted it much earlier in the thread, it’s abhorrent and hopefully it gets picked up and he faces the ban he deserves, it’s as scummy an act as you get.

However Sevco have perceived themselves to be wronged to that noise will likely drown it out 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its still surprising me that Balogun spitting at Celtic fans is being roundly ignored.

Seen comments about it but haven't seen the footage,  if he has then an additional ban should be inline. 

11 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

I posted it much earlier in the thread, it’s abhorrent and hopefully it gets picked up and he faces the ban he deserves, it’s as scummy an act as you get.

However Sevco have perceived themselves to be wronged to that noise will likely drown it out 

Even Celtic fans on Twitter are focussing on other things, mostly an apparent 2nd yellow to someone (Goldson?).

Just weird how little attention something like that is getting.

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Myself and a number of others on here witnessed a Kelty Hearts player spitting at a child in the Falkirk end last season. 

I posted about it on here and was accused of making it up by people who weren't there. It is indeed weird to see such behaviour ignored. It should really result in a Police charge. Vile. 

20 minutes ago, bennett said:

Seen comments about it but haven't seen the footage,  if he has then an additional ban should be inline. 

I posted it earlier in the thread and since you have tons of experience searching my posting history so shouldn’t be hard for a man of your talents to find 

It is horrible if he has spat at Celtic fans and as mentioned, should deserve an additional ban. However, has he actually spat at them?

You can see he is spitting off to the side without question, but don’t the Celtic fans sit above the tunnel at Celtic Park? If you consider the video below, he spits off to the side. The picture of the tunnel below shows he’d need to spit up the way to target a Celtic fan given how close he is to the tunnel. It’s happened right in front of a Celtic official as well and they don’t seem to have made any reaction to it. 

I’m not denying it if he has, which would be abhorrent, but it does seem reasonable that he could have just spat against the wall.

IMG_2606.jpeg