Saudi Arabia; the home of football.

velo army

Since they've decided that they're hosting the 2034 world cup (and who is anyone to argue with this?) I've now seen them hosting the World Club Championship and, weirdly, the Turkish Super Cup, much to the chagrin of both clubs, it would seem.

The Saudis have their fingers in the big Barclays pie as well and there has been talk of Saudi teams in the Champions League. Their league is obviously famous for Jack Hendry, Ronaldo et al and the money swilling around there has turned heads, but can it really grow?

Are we seeing the balance of power shifting to the Arabian peninsula? Is this sportswashing or a genuine attempt by the Crown Prince to drag his country into the 21st century? What can fans do to push back against it?

I guess I can't really figure out what's going on and what it all means, so I've started this thread to address this particular concern. 

All opinions welcome.

1 minute ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Mind the Chinese Super League? I predict (and hope) it'll go the same way. 

Just like the said Chinese Super League, I'll never watch a single minute of any Saudi League match. I reckon I'm in the vast majority with my attitude towards it therefore it will fail. 

Didn't the Chinese effort fall out because the government clamped down on it? In Saudi it is the state's own efforts.

1 minute ago, southernrover said:

Didn't the Chinese effort fall out because the government clamped down on it? In Saudi it is the state's own efforts.

I'm not certain but I think the reason for the Chinese government pulling the plug is because it wasn't working due to lack of interest. 

If the world ignores the Saudi League in the same way then it also won't last. 

4 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

I'm not certain but I think the reason for the Chinese government pulling the plug is because it wasn't working due to lack of interest. 

If the world ignores the Saudi League in the same way then it also won't last. 

Ah, fair enough, I won't doubt you. In my ignorance I probably saw it and thought the Chinese government had thrown their authoritarian toys out of the pram, etc.

4 minutes ago, southernrover said:

Ah, fair enough, I won't doubt you. In my ignorance I probably saw it and thought the Chinese government had thrown their authoritarian toys out of the pram, etc.

Again, I'm no expert but I reckon Saudi's best bet is to concentrate on combat sports as there will always be massive interest in the big fights. 

Nobody outside of their region will ever care about their football clubs no matter how many stars they throw money at (all IMO, of course.) 

4 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Again, I'm no expert but I reckon Saudi's best bet is to concentrate on combat sports as there will always be massive interest in the big fights. 

Nobody outside of their region will ever care about their football clubs no matter how many stars they throw money at (all IMO, of course.) 

Perhaps, but surely the endgame is for Saudi clubs looking for an in to start playing against European ones competitively (in, say, a future Lockheed Martin Intercontinental Challenge Trophy #MilitaryIndustrialComplex)

edit: wonder if the endgame for the various ludicrously wealthy figures involved in football these days is to do away with things like the UCL, Copa Libertadores etc. and make it a Truly Global Experience For Our Amazing Fanbase Across The World. Fewer games due to the logistics (although tbf would imagine the airmiles covered even in European competitions can clock up a fair whack the deeper you go into the tournament), but if they're organising it the way they want then they can do things like begin to scale back on the transfer window arms race.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

On 30/12/2023 at 10:46, velo army said:

Since they've decided that they're hosting the 2034 world cup (and who is anyone to argue with this?) I've now seen them hosting the World Club Championship and, weirdly, the Turkish Super Cup, much to the chagrin of both clubs, it would seem.

Followed by...

2023–24 Supercopa de España - Wikipedia

The 2023–24 Supercopa de España will be the 40th edition of the Supercopa de España, an annual football competition for the top 4 clubs in the Spanish football league system that were successful in its major competitions in the preceding season. It will be held in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia between 10 and 14 January 2024.

2023 Supercoppa Italiana - Wikipedia

The 2023 Supercoppa Italiana will be the 36th edition of the Supercoppa Italiana, the Italian football super cup. It will be the first edition to feature four teams, an expansion from the previous format of a one-off match between two clubs. It will be held in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia between 18 and 22 January 2024 having originally been scheduled for Jeddah.

2027 AFC Asian Cup - Wikipedia

The 2027 AFC Asian Cup will be the 19th edition of the AFC Asian Cup, the quadrennial international men's football championship of Asia organised by the Asian Football Confederation (AFC). The tournament involves 24 national teams after the expansion in 2019. It will be held in Saudi Arabia.[1] The tournament is scheduled to be held in January 2027.[2]