Dundee FC vs St Johnstone - 02/01/2024

The clips on social media do disservice to your ground staff, I don’t need to. That’s why I said I stand to be corrected as I do appreciate social media can sometimes paint a flawed picture of the actual efforts that go into things behind the scenes. 
Anyway I hope by some miracle the rain doesn’t pour down on that one patch above Dens for every future game. Meanwhile the point remains Aberdeen and St Johnstone fans and clubs have a right to feel aggrieved at the postponement of games and the general arrangements by Dundee FC. Had Dundee for instance publicised a cash gate in advance and had online ticket sales like every other club in the premiership, Saints staff wouldn’t have had to work extra hours and people wouldn’t have had to stand in queues of 45 mins yesterday for physical tickets for a game that was never going to go ahead due to your pitch not being playable. 

Club should be fined or it will happen again and again with no recourse. 

7 minutes ago, lindz105 said:

The clips on social media do disservice to your ground staff, I don’t need to. That’s why I said I stand to be corrected as I do appreciate social media can sometimes paint a flawed picture of the actual efforts that go into things behind the scenes. 
Anyway I hope by some miracle the rain doesn’t pour down on that one patch above Dens for every future game. Meanwhile the point remains Aberdeen and St Johnstone fans and clubs have a right to feel aggrieved at the postponement of games and the general arrangements by Dundee FC. Had Dundee for instance publicised a cash gate in advance and had online ticket sales like every other club in the premiership, Saints staff wouldn’t have had to work extra hours and people wouldn’t have had to stand in queues of 45 mins yesterday for physical tickets for a game that was never going to go ahead due to your pitch not being playable. 

Club should be fined or it will happen again and again with no recourse. 

You are genuinely delusional if you think that will happen. 

10 minutes ago, lindz105 said:

I don’t think it will happen. I think it should happen. 

On what basis?

Tell me the SPFL rule Dundee has broken?

Games postponed because of pitch issues is not a new thing - I could roll off a list of clubs who have had to postpone games due to the pitch - more than half the SPFL Premiership teams would be fined af some point if you had your way.

It's unrealistic self-entitled pish of the first degree.

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

On what basis?

Tell me the SPFL rule Dundee has broken?

Games postponed because of pitch issues is not a new thing - I could roll off a list of clubs who have had to postpone games due to the pitch - more than half the SPFL Premiership teams would be fined af some point if you had your way.

It's unrealistic self-entitled pish of the first degree.

Motherwell got a fine for their pitch condition before.

Seems to be a process of....

- Clubs gets multiple postponements a season due to pitch

- SPFL has an investigation to find out why

- SPFL ask how the club plan to avoid it in future

- SPFL observe improvement work

... so aye. Theyre probably asking questions just now, and youll effectively be forced to work on the pitch again in the Summer with them watching. If you still have problems theyll fine you.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Motherwell got a fine for their pitch condition before.

Seems to be a process of....

- Clubs gets multiple postponements a season due to pitch

- SPFL has an investigation to find out why

- SPFL ask how the club plan to avoid it in future

- SPFL observe improvement work

... so aye. Theyre probably asking questions just now, and youll effectively be forced to work on the pitch again in the Summer with them watching. If you still have problems theyll fine you.

More the point that action won't be taken on the basis of a few postponements and clubs are given time to get things sorted.

Your fellow Saintee wants them to fine Dundee now - completely unrealistic.

14 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

More the point that action won't be taken on the basis of a few postponements and clubs are given time to get things sorted.

Your fellow Saintee wants them to fine Dundee now - completely unrealistic.

Someone a few pages back wanted a points deduction. 

They’re a very angry bunch. 

The average number of games played in the league so far this season is 20. We’ve played 18. It would have been 19 if the game at Pittodrie hadn’t been called off back in October. Motherwell got hammered about their pitch after having spent 350k on it, proof the splaffing cash doesn’t necessarily fix the problem and puts the Lilywhite’s whining and preening over spending 100k into perspective. 
I asked the question earlier in the thread ‘where is the water to go to’? The drain on Dens Road can’t cope with the existing issue, I don’t see where we could build a massive soak away or holding tank. It’s more proof that we need to move. 
I’m really sorry the poor wee Lilywhites had to spend an extra day with their families over the holiday period but time to change your nappies and move on lads. 

I take the view that a postponement or two is almost expected each winter. There is wiggle room in the fixture list to allow for this. Slight issue is when you get more than a couple, you start to get a bit of congestion, which helps no one. Dundee as a club need to do some investigations as to whether there is a wider issue or as someone said, the impact of some freak, although likely to increase in liklihood, weather conditions.

I suspect there is a balancing act to be done in terms of the club as to what they want to say. On the one hand, they could just put it down to exceptional weather and that if there is fault, it is down to the pitch solely. On the other, they don't want to necessarily want to be blaming the wider infrastructure in the area, as presumably, they will want to sell the land for housing and so don't really want to be banging on about how bad the sewage and drainage is in the area as that'd drive down the value.

I suspect, the above is in part why Dundee were happy to blame the SFA for Aberdeen game and equally happy to say very little about this one, which would make sense to me.

I think everyone is frustrated at what would have been a good crowd for an important fixture for both teams, will now be much delayed, but if the pitch wasn't playable, probably frustratingly the right decision to postpone.

I think Dundee will and should probably not, get any kind of sanction for having the 3 games called off so far, but I'd imagine any more and more serious questions would need to be asked. 

15 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

I think Dundee will and should probably not, get any kind of sanction for having the 3 games called off so far, but I'd imagine any more and more serious questions would need to be asked. 

Edited by Fifespud

3 hours ago, lindz105 said:

It’s not just that the game was called off though, it’s the whole tinpot way Dundee FC is run. 

Paper only tickets 

Cash only kiosks

Game called off despite the weather not being anything out of the ordinary for a Scottish winter.  

Many people, myself included, had taken the day off work and paid one of the highest prices in the SPFL to go to a game which ultimately was called off hours before kick off. Just not good enough for a club in the top tier of Scottish football.  Saints staff had to come in on a day I’m sure they would rather have spent with their families to process paper tickets and then the game gets called off after a lot of fans had already set off for Dundee. Shambles and the club should be fined for the whole debacle and seriously get their house in order as it’s no way to run a club in the premiership.

Don’t think you’d get much argument with any of that tbh

We’ll have a laugh about it too when we’re cruising up to CampyNou in our personalised Space Shuttles in a couple of seasons time

My initial frustration has waned at the appreciation of just how many Johnnies were personally inconvenienced yesterday. I hope the rescheduled match gets postponed, too.

A waterlogged pitch is completely irrelevant to St Johnstone and their agricultural style of football. This postponement has saved their fans and players from further neck injuries. But the Dens Deelacticos need a complete carpetesque surface to play on, in order to showcase their total textbook footballing suave and style. 

Thank you.