Morton vs Ayr 2nd January - New Year Cracker

This has disaster written all over it for us.

1 CB available and potentially our best midfiedlers loan expiring on 1st January.

Regardless of how good we are upfront with Murphy and Chalmers etc that counts for nothing with the mess at the back.

Plus Morton have had our number all season and turn the games into an ugly battle cause they know we don't have the players like a Geggan, Adams and Docherty of 5 years ago who wouldn't have put up with that shit.

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

Its gonna be a right good laugh that's for sure.  

Screenshot_20231231-021507.png

That's a strong front 4 there. Murphy looked a threat in the last game at Cappielow and mcgeady seems to have found his goalscoring boots. Dowds is a handful and chalmers is a great player. However with the form we've been in recently I'd be quietly confident that we could get a result here. Defensively we have been more solid and have also been scoring goals at home. Oakley back is a massive boost and Quitongo isn't too far away from fitness either although this one could come too soon. Not sure what the deal is with French's loan and strapps short term contract although it's been mentioned that the former could be going back to Dundee and the latter has signed for Killie. I'm sure imrie has a plan in place if they both leave but I'd be surprised if they weren't in the squad for Tuesday.

Team will be similar to the last few weeks with the only decision being does Gillespie come back in if fit:

Mullen

French Baird Broadfoot Strapp 

Gillespie/ Power   wilson

Blues      Crawford      Muirhead 

Oakley

Subs - MacDonald, O'connor, Gillespie/Power, O'Boy, Bearne, Boyd, Quitongo, McGrattan 

2-1 Morton

8 hours ago, Rb123 said:

This has disaster written all over it for us.

1 CB available and potentially our best midfiedlers loan expiring on 1st January.

Regardless of how good we are upfront with Murphy and Chalmers etc that counts for nothing with the mess at the back.

Plus Morton have had our number all season and turn the games into an ugly battle cause they know we don't have the players like a Geggan, Adams and Docherty of 5 years ago who wouldn't have put up with that shit.

Last season it was Ayr turning the games into an ugly battle that got them two wins at Cappielow because they knew we couldn't cope with a head tennis scrap and could physically bully us in midfield. The first half on the first day of this season went much the same way before our subs turned the game round in the second half, while at Somerset it was an even game with Ayr having plenty of second half chances to take the lead themselves before our late winner.

The total head to head record over their time in charge is 3 Morton wins, 4 draws and 2 Ayr wins. We've been two very evenly matched teams throughout that time with Morton finishing one point ahead of Ayr in 21/22 and Ayr finishing one point ahead of Morton in 22/23. There's really no reason to believe Imrie has Bullen on toast.

14 minutes ago, railwayend said:

Think we may well have a centre back inbound ,well kind of . Also Young’s loan is for the season . Senga on the other hand is up in January. 

Youngs loan expires in January as well. Both were only signed as short term cover for Murdoch and Dempsey. I’m well in favour for us signing Young for the rest of the season though. 

We could really do with another centre back in early doors in this window. Very rarely happens like that though. 

7 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

That's a strong front 4 there. Murphy looked a threat in the last game at Cappielow and mcgeady seems to have found his goalscoring boots. Dowds is a handful and chalmers is a great player. However with the form we've been in recently I'd be quietly confident that we could get a result here. Defensively we have been more solid and have also been scoring goals at home. Oakley back is a massive boost and Quitongo isn't too far away from fitness either although this one could come too soon. Not sure what the deal is with French's loan and strapps short term contract although it's been mentioned that the former could be going back to Dundee and the latter has signed for Killie. I'm sure imrie has a plan in place if they both leave but I'd be surprised if they weren't in the squad for Tuesday.

Team will be similar to the last few weeks with the only decision being does Gillespie come back in if fit:

Mullen

French Baird Broadfoot Strapp 

Gillespie/ Power   wilson

Blues      Crawford      Muirhead 

Oakley

Subs - MacDonald, O'connor, Gillespie/Power, O'Boy, Bearne, Boyd, Quitongo, McGrattan 

2-1 Morton

Aye it's not the team I'd go with but we all know Dougie won't bench Blues/Muirhead/Broadfoot so in Dougie we trust and all that. 

We've missed Oakley so great to have him back and hopefully he can dominate whoever plays CB for Ayr. Fully expect them to bring in a loan before the game.

I'm still waiting for Robbie Crawford to get back to his best, been pretty quiet for a good while now, hopefully he turns it on against his former club. He still puts a shift in, just not had much of an impact recently.

5 unbeaten and 3 consecutive clean sheets, so we should go into this with a lot of confidence but we've been here before against Ayr at the end of last season and were soundly beaten.

3-1.

2 hours ago, madton said:

Aye it's not the team I'd go with but we all know Dougie won't bench Blues/Muirhead/Broadfoot so in Dougie we trust and all that. 

We've missed Oakley so great to have him back and hopefully he can dominate whoever plays CB for Ayr. Fully expect them to bring in a loan before the game.

I'm still waiting for Robbie Crawford to get back to his best, been pretty quiet for a good while now, hopefully he turns it on against his former club. He still puts a shift in, just not had much of an impact recently.

5 unbeaten and 3 consecutive clean sheets, so we should go into this with a lot of confidence but we've been here before against Ayr at the end of last season and were soundly beaten.

3-1.

I agree that Crawford hasn't had as much of an impact on games in terms of goals but I'd never ever criticise him given his energy and workrate which is consistently excellent. He has his purple patches with goals and it'll come again. Suppose if these were more consistency he would be playing at a higher level.

Just to add I know you weren't criticising him.

28 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

What’s the script with away fans, is it the WDE? If so then f**k that will get a stream at home. 

Nothing been said by the club as of yet but going to assume it's the main stand which will delight a few away fans. I could be wrong but can't see the WDE being opened with the recent weather in mind 

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

What’s the script with away fans, is it the WDE? If so then f**k that will get a stream at home. 

29 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Nothing been said by the club as of yet but going to assume it's the main stand which will delight a few away fans. I could be wrong but can't see the WDE being opened with the recent weather in mind 

According to us it’s the WDE

AE75AEAA-18EC-4A7F-A071-CF2D6B7BDFE2.png

15 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

Weather forecast is v decent for the time of year. 

On 31/12/2023 at 11:27, madton said:

Crawford was excellent in our last two home games IMO. 

37 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

The one time we'd actually be happy with being shoved in the corner of the main stand and instead we get punted out into the elements on the WDE lol

I don't think I've ever had the pleasure of the WDE. Also been in the main stand or a bit of the Cowshed.