Stirling VS Accies

First game of 2024 and we are on the telly. Will be a hard game Stirling are an OK home team and will create issues in this game this is also the only grass pitch in the league will be interesting to see how many signings we will have in by Saturday. I think we will win this but it wouldn't surprise me if we didn't as nothing surprises me under Rankin anymore. Stirling 1-2 Accies 

Hamilton absolutely battered the Albion last game at Forthbank, should have been out of sight by half time but, sheer dogedness and determination won a point that day, partly assisted by Kevin O'Hara missing a last minute penalty, would bite your hands off for a draw here given I was also at the 5-0 mauling at NDP in November. 

Fun fact, like myself Kevin O'Hara grew up in the village of Fallin, a mile from Forthbank stadium, it is a place that, to put it mildly is very 'staunch' so, I'd imagine having a name like he has would have been quite interesting down there, I got dogs abuse growing up there purely for being a Friday fish supper merchant despite not having a suspicious sounding name like he has. 

He's a good lad Kevin, I know his parents but, hopefully he obliges with an off day against his local side on Saturday. 

5 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Hamilton absolutely battered the Albion last game at Forthbank, should have been out of sight by half time but, sheer dogedness and determination won a point that day, partly assisted by Kevin O'Hara missing a last minute penalty, would bite your hands off for a draw here given I was also at the 5-0 mauling at NDP in November. 

Fun fact, like myself Kevin O'Hara grew up in the village of Fallin, a mile from Forthbank stadium, it is a place that, to put it mildly is very 'staunch' so, I'd imagine having a name like he has would have been quite interesting down there, I got dogs abuse growing up there purely for being a Friday fish supper merchant despite not having a suspicious sounding name like he has. 

He's a good lad Kevin, I know his parents but, hopefully he obliges with an off day against his local side on Saturday. 

It's a long mile from Forthbank that's for sure 

We've had 3 maulings of 5-0 this season..twice to the Grangemouth brigade, most recently on Saturday..all were cringeworthy & lacking in belief or desire from kick off... 

O'hara's family are now in Falkirk I'm sure...

You should have tried growing up in Fallin during the 70's & 80's as a Catholic.... miner's strikes & hunger strikes... miserable and most bigoted place & people i will never forget 

2 hours ago, Beepee67 said:

We've had 3 maulings of 5-0 this season..twice to the Grangemouth brigade, most recently on Saturday..all were cringeworthy & lacking in belief or desire from kick off... 

You should have tried growing up in Fallin during the 70's & 80's as a Catholic.... miner's strikes & hunger strikes... miserable and most bigoted place & people i will never forget 

Naw ye's huvvnae!

3 hours ago, Beepee67 said:

I did mate, born in 76. Grew up there till I left my parents in my early twenties. 

I went to St Margaret's primary in Cowie, the wee minibus used to pick up the Catholic children at the wee bus stop in front of the library, my earliest memory of realising I was 'different' to the rest of the people down there was, aged about 5 or 6, which would have been around the time of the IRA hunger strikers, standing waiting on said bus and a grown man, probably in his 40s, singing 'Could you go a chicken supper Bobby Sands' to a group of primary school children waiting on our bus, not having a clue who Sands was or what this meant I asked my dad that night why this guy was singing this to us, my old man to his credit accompanied me the following morning to the bus stop and, after pointing the guy out he threatened to rip his windpipe out if he ever tried it again which, naturally he didn't. 

Kevin's parents live up in the Hall Glen area of Falkirk now.

6 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

I did mate, born in 76. Grew up there till I left my parents in my early twenties. 

I went to St Margaret's primary in Cowie, the wee minibus used to pick up the Catholic children at the wee bus stop in front of the library, my earliest memory of realising I was 'different' to the rest of the people down there was, aged about 5 or 6, which would have been around the time of the IRA hunger strikers, standing waiting on said bus and a grown man, probably in his 40s, singing 'Could you go a chicken supper Bobby Sands' to a group of primary school children waiting on our bus, not having a clue who Sands was or what this meant I asked my dad that night why this guy was singing this to us, my old man to his credit accompanied me the following morning to the bus stop and, after pointing the guy out he threatened to rip his windpipe out if he ever tried it again which, naturally he didn't. 

Kevin's parents live up in the Hall Glen area of Falkirk now.

I was the same 

St Margaret's in Cowie for primary school and the old St Modans in St Ninians 😀 

I was born in 67 

That minibus i remember well...I used try staying on as many after school clubs at St Modans as i could so i didn't have to come home on the bus at the normal time and the other lot waiting on us getting off the bus, the Wallace high bus was always in before ours,, fukkin nightmare village,,

Again another match than anything other than a comfortable accies win is unacceptable, JR continues to make things hard for himself with what hes got at his disposal and our current run of form and 2nd half performance against EC was beyond rubbish so anything is possible with this game with JR in charge. 

On 02/01/2024 at 17:46, Beepee67 said:

Hamilton has two of the most bigoted Schemes known to man in Burnbank(Burnbank Loyal flag appears when they play their hometown team) and The Oldtoon where Protestants have been tormented and bullied when they moved there.

Recently a Rangers Pub-Coopers- has opened in the Town Centre which already has a few "Plastic Paddy" pubs in the vicinity.

Accies punters tend to drink in the Pubs around Hamilton West area although the Butterburn Pub in the Town Centre is a well known Accies Pub and runs buses to away games on occasion.

Three stops on the train lies Larkhall lol which to be fair is better than it used to be and seems to be becoming more of a middle class commuter town.

Reading this thread and looking at the places nearby:Larkhall,Lanark,Bothwell,Blantyre,Stonehouse,Strathaven and Uddingston if folk from these places supported The Accies then we would be a well supported provincial team but I would say Hamilton,Coatbridge and Clydebank are probably the three worst towns for locals flocking to the Old Firm.

Edited by Ye Olde Hamiltonian

1 hour ago, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

Reading this thread and looking at the places nearby:Larkhall,Lanark,Bothwell,Blantyre,Stonehouse,Strathaven and Uddingston if folk from these places supported The Accies then we would be a well supported provincial team but I would say Hamilton,Coatbridge and Clydebank are probably the three worst teams for locals flocking to the Old Firm.

Same in Stirling area. A fair amount of Old Firm buses, people travelling by train and car to watch that lot. If half of them came to Forthbank the attendance would double = increased revenue = better players etc. Luring fans away from glory hunting and bigotry might be the hard thing though.

Edited by SA45

Aye I was thinking exactly the same.....its been the same way as long as I cam remember too.

The last home game against Accies brings fond memories

.we could have been 3 or 4 down at half time but somehow went in only one down and came out strong second half and really take the game to them.

Kyle Banners equaliser is still probably my favourite moment of the season so far.

Things felt far more optimistic at that point. We've rarely if ever hit those heights again.

I'd again be delighted to take a point 

On 02/01/2024 at 21:07, Flybhoy said:
On 02/01/2024 at 17:46, Beepee67 said:

I was born in 76 too. I'd kind of figured out we must be around the same age from previous posts.

I was pretty naive to all that stuff growing up in Dunblane, moved to Glasgow to go to uni at  17 and wondered why everyone wanted to know what school I went to.

11 hours ago, WattersIsGod said:

I was born in 76 too. I'd kind of figured out we must be around the same age from previous posts.

I was pretty naive to all that stuff growing up in Dunblane, moved to Glasgow to go to uni at  17 and wondered why everyone wanted to know what school I went to.

More years ago than I care to remember I worked down in Rothesay for a couple of years and to augment my meagre income I worked in a pub a few nights a week and weekends etc. As per usual, the Glasgow Fair would arrive and hordes of Weegies came "doon the watter". Inevitably, the landlord, who was also a Glaswegian, would "casually" be asked "Eh, Robin, what, eh, school did ye go tae?" His answer was always the same and left them flummoxed - "St. Ibrox".

Edited by Bairn in Exile

15 hours ago, SA45 said:

Same in Stirling area. A fair amount of Old Firm buses, people travelling by train and car to watch that lot. If half of them came to Forthbank the attendance would double = increased revenue = better players etc. Luring fans away from glory hunting and bigotry might be the hard thing though.

To be fair, it's the same all across Scotland. In my last job, I worked for a Fife based company, all but 3 people employed were from the Dunfermline, Cowdenbeath, Kelty area and with the exception of 1 Dunfermline fan, they were all Rangers or Celtic supporters that would regularly travel to Ibrox or Parkhead. It's everywhere and it sets our football backwards in my opinion. How can you expect clubs to grow?? I worked in England for 12 years and it was refreshing to see the majority of people support their home town football club. 

My son is in S2 and on Boxing Day we were chatting about it. Like when I was at school, he was telling me that he's one of the few Non-Old Firm fans that he knows, but he doesn't know 1 of them that actually goes to games. So there lies the problem. People claim to support a team, but they don't go to watch that team, and they won't actually go out and watch any local football either, baffling to me!!

Edited by BB_Bino

When i worked in Glasgow i was asked who do you support Celtic or Rangers. I said Falkirk. Next question was but you must prefer one over the other and i said no i hate them both equally. They could not believe that!

2 hours ago, Bigbrbairn said:

When i worked in Glasgow i was asked who do you support Celtic or Rangers. I said Falkirk. Next question was but you must prefer one over the other and i said no i hate them both equally. They could not believe that!

To be fair with all the crowd w**k patter Falkirk fans come out with its easy to see how folk would think you were an OF fan!

Only kidding man anyone who follows a team for non bigot reasons is one of the good guys. Two cheeks of the same arse yet they think they are so different.

I was the only accies fan at my school (open goal for a come back bigbrbairn!) but I liked that as everyone knew I wasn't one of them!!!. I was brought up in a fairly staunch household but recognised that pish for what it is at an early age.

No regrets despite the many reasons why following a Diddy team can be nae fun at times. BUT when the chance comes along to get it right up the OF, it's amazing!

Glad to say my kids are Accies fans now too and have the same oppinion of the OF as the rest of us. Be great if they did bugger off to another league (if anyone would have them) but their moron support would still be here even if they did (most of which would rarely attend games as mentioned above)

We are massive in a very small pool at present. Falkirk appear to manage to gather fans through the generations. My dad took me to my first game in 1963 and now my grandson is part of our Ultras 1876. 

The Ultra formation has been brilliant. It has changed the atmosphere in our 3 sided stadium and i am hearing more young fans are going to games to be part of it. All good. Perhaps Binos and Accies should try it.

Despite historically being poorly supported, the recent custodians of our club went out of their way to actively discourage/alienate/ban the few vocal fans we did have.

Any club that has positive engagement with their fans will reap the rewards. Ultras may not be for everyone but anything that adds to the atmosphere and attracts kids away from the OF is to be applauded. To do this, kids need to feel they are buying into something more than just a football team. Unfortunately, sectarianisim is a proven marketing tool and keeps the money rolling in for the old firm

I agree your lot have really backed the team brilliantly this season. Football clubs have to recognise that attracting new fans is the lifeblood of football. It's crazy that so few clubs try to do this. There's a lot of folk in Hamilton who say that we can never grow our fan base due to the number of OF fans in the town. I'm not saying it's easy, but in my 40 odd years following the club, i have seen very little evidence of any real effort to do this. 

Edited by Beckford

10 hours ago, Bigbrbairn said:

The Ultra formation has been brilliant. It has changed the atmosphere in our 3 sided stadium and i am hearing more young fans are going to games to be part of it. All good. Perhaps Binos and Accies should try it.

We had a small 'ultra' group but they've disappeared since the Alloa game.  not that I blame them after that as it was the worst home performance I'd seen in a while. I've no idea what the story is.

We've never managed to really grow the support consistently since I've been following. I think 35 years ago, Falkirk had about 5 times as many supporters and that remains the case today.

Crowds grew organically a bit last year while the team was doing well but not massively.

I don't really know what the answer is......