Arbroath v Dundee United- 2nd Jan 24

23 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Aye, sure. Just not feeling the same vibes from that game that the home fans seem to be feeling. We've had plenty of games this season which have ended up as comfortable wins but which were in the balance for long spells. Today wasn't one of those days.

Am pleased for you, enjoy you’re evening 

All in all not too unhappy today. We played well in the first half and were a bit unlucky to go in one down at half time. Losing two goals so early in the second half gave Utd control of the game but we never gave up and I thought our goal should have stood.

Impressed with Jess Norey again and Scott Stewart put in another great shift, but all the players kept fighting to the end. So, defeated but not beaten, if you take my meaning. 

On 01/01/2024 at 17:47, clashcityrocker said:

Expect this to be a much closer match than the last two encounters !

Arbroath have been putting in some fine performances ( a small squad due to injuries and suspensions), but still playing really well.

United are red hot favourites to win of course - no doubt about that.

Score prediction: Arbroath 2- United 2 (provided United are off form and blasting their chances into the north sea).

Nope 

2 hours ago, afc_36_0 said:

3-0 was a bit harsh on us but then what do u expect with a squad of only 14 and only 1 recognised defender against much superior opposition. Thought the players gave their all but we desperately need a few signings.

Ref and lino the standard we’ve come to expect at this level…… embarrassing 

Think every team in the league thinks the same tbh.

2 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

We barely had a team.  Pretty much our entire defence consisted of midfielders, and our main recognised defender, a full back playing at centre back, turns out to have been playing with a broken toe for weeks.  We had 3 subs in total on the bench, and we're a part time team who had not long come out of a bruising game just a couple of days ago.  Off the top of my head, we're missing 2 centre backs, a guy who can cover at full back, our most creative midfielder, the understudy for our most creative midfielder, and probably our best player this season in Hylton.  We started a new signing who hasn't played a game since November, and looked like a lame horse in the last 30 minutes, only staying on because there was nobody else.  Pretty much everyone in that team except Bird and Gaston were playing out of their preferred positions.

All that, and yet it was still a considerable improvement over the utter shambles of the first 2 Dundee United games.  I expected far worse, so aye, I'm reasonably positive.

You’ve got a decent manager nowadays. Just ask Dundee fans.

3 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Surprised by how positive the Arbroath fans are being about the game. That was as easy as the first two fixtures and could comfortably have  been another 4 or 6. United back on it a bit today and it never looked like anything other than an easy win. 

I don’t understand why Arbroath haven’t got some kind of youth or reserve team.  All the clubs that want to join the pyramid now have to commit to running an under 20s team in addition to their first team, that’s clubs in tier 10 of Scottish fitba.  How the Smokies can’t run one at their level is mental.  I heard them talking about the start-up costs being £25k and then running costs during the season, but they must’ve taken about £70k in gate money from just one game today. 

Just seen the go pro footage of our disallowed goal. That is absolutely atrocious refereeing and embarrassing play acting by the keeper.

Can anyone point out the foul play and exactly how and where the keeper got a stomach injury?

7 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Just seen the go pro footage of our disallowed goal. That is absolutely atrocious refereeing and embarrassing play acting by the keeper.

Can anyone point out the foul play and exactly how and where the keeper got a stomach injury?

Just watched the United TV footage.  Can’t see what’s happened, if the go pro is behind the goal then maybe it’s a better angle. 

United’s first goal looks offside tbh, but it’s Louis Moult that’s off, not Tony Watt who makes the cross. 

Scott McMann looks like he’s got a nasty injury from his reaction, although I didn’t think it was a foul at the game and I’m not convinced now either.  

10 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

However, Balde is what is euphemistically described as “combative”.  Kicks everything that moves as far as I can see.

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

Just watched the United TV footage.  Can’t see what’s happened, if the go pro is behind the goal then maybe it’s a better angle. 

United’s first goal looks offside tbh, but it’s Louis Moult that’s off, not Tony Watt who makes the cross. 

Scott McMann looks like he’s got a nasty injury from his reaction, although I didn’t think it was a foul at the game and I’m not convinced now either.  

It’s on our Facebook page - keeper throws himself at the cross and misses it, then grabs for it but doesn’t appear to have full control and looks like he chucks it backwards, he stands up and looks fine then collapses like he’s been shot in the stomach or arm. Yes there are a couple of Arbroath players trying to kick the ball but there doesn’t look like much or any contact.

Edited by Tattie36

8 hours ago, adamntg said:

McMann injury happened right in front of us, no foul

7 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

However… after rewatching it, I don’t know if the ball actually crossed the line.

Am no sure it was in either, but never a foul on the keeper, absolute fanny 

United keeper should have been booked for play acting - the ball also looks over the line.

The level of consistency shown by the Arbroath players is impressive - we now need to turn this consistency into winning games and the defence needs to aim to keep clean sheets ( errors are costing us goals).

Expect loan players or new signings to arrive before the end of January (many clubs won't release players until they bring in their own new signings).

15 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Surprised by how positive the Arbroath fans are being about the game. That was as easy as the first two fixtures and could comfortably have  been another 4 or 6. United back on it a bit today and it never looked like anything other than an easy win. 

When it went too 3.0 I was thinking this could turn into a mess. No doubt in my mind that Utd decide at that point to see the game out and comfortably did.

3 minutes ago, Hayshead2 said:

When it went too 3.0 I was thinking this could turn into a mess. No doubt in my mind that Utd decide at that point to see the game out and comfortably did.

Which was strange as Moult on a hat trick