St Mirren v Green Cheeks 02/01/2024 It’s 5pm somewhere.

13 hours ago, Munoz said:

The laws of the game may well have changed but not the decisions the arse cheeks get week in week out.

Thankfully it probably had little bearing on the outcome. 

There's certainly inconsistencies involved,  last week against Motherwell O'Donnell booted Butland in the head in similar circumstances. 

Yesterday's challenge was around waist height and the St Mirren player had no way of knowing that Hart was going to go so low. 

14 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

Very hard to judge new players when they debut coming on in a game against Celtic when 3-0 down and down to 10 men, but Elvis didn’t look like he’s the answer to the gap Strain has left.

Lets not forget our supporters had Strain down as 'shite' following the league cup games including one against Airdrie. I don't think Elvis did much wrong in that one.  

35 minutes ago, bennett said:

Yesterday's challenge was around waist height and the St Mirren player had no way of knowing that Hart was going to go so low. 

I also think had Hart been up right and Olusanya had caught him in the waist with his studs it would've probably been a red. I think he's unlucky but I reckon that gets given almost every time, although I didn't see the O'Donnell one you refer to.

8 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I also think had Hart been up right and Olusanya had caught him in the waist with his studs it would've probably been a red. I think he's unlucky but I reckon that gets given almost every time, although I didn't see the O'Donnell one you refer to.

Most players are going to for that ball in the box and try to smash it in, if Olusnaya never went for the ball you'd probably have folk criticising him for that.

Olusanya is unlucky to have caught Hart in the way he did, but that's a clear red card.

In mitigation, Olusanya has to make an attempt to get a touch on the ball and Hart lunges down towards the ball from Olusanya's blindside.

But it's a straight leg and studs to the face.

A clear red card.

Ball comes into the box and Olusanya goes for it, no intent to hurt the keeper, eyes on the ball. Joe Hart goes down to save the ball, likely knowing he’s going where a striker’s boot will also be going. Hart didn’t shirk out of anything, Hart never made a meal of it even though he got a boot in the puss’ for his troubles. Prior to VAR, the yellow would have sufficed due to no intent on Olusanya’s part. That sort of incident can happen all the time in other areas of the pitch. A defender jumps, catches an opponent square on the nose with an ebow, but no way were they deliberately trying to ‘do them’. A striker tries a glory overhead or bicycle kick, a defender gets accidentally caught…. A defender goes to boot the ball clear, an opponent nicks in from the side and gets a foot to the ball first, the defender, already swinging at where the ball is, wallops the opponent instead - accidentally. We’ve all seen this a zillion times. They all shouldn’t be red cards. If Scales had been short with a back pass, Hart is favourite though to collect, and Olusanya goes red mist and with no real chance of getting there, slides a boot right into Hart, then aye, red card. Again, the type of thing we’ve all seen a zillion times.

What happened to intent, to a referee and linesman knowing what was purely accidental, albeit unfortunate for the player getting a sore one? Post-VAR, it’s a red card, pre-VAR it’s a handshake with the Celtic defenders knowing an opponent never tried to ‘do’ their goalie. 

I sincerely hope going forward, that every single unfortunate accidental incident that sees one player take a sore one, results in a red card for the other player. Every, single, one. Games seeing three guys sent off, whatever. Who cares any more, it’s the modern game, right? Only fair, if the Olusanya one is a red after review, that every other similar ‘sore one’ incident is treated the same. We were losing that game with eleven men anyway, lost it after seven minutes, not saying it changed the outcome - it would have in shitloads of other games though. 

OK Scottish officials and VAR jockeys - every unfortunate incident that is accidental but results in a sore yin’ - I want to see a red card, otherwise I want the VAR audio and a note of who really killed JFK sent by recorded delivery to my front door.

2 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

So what is it about Celtic that you like ? The obscene financial advantage that ensures they are almost always guaranteed to win domestically. ? Must be a nice , secure feeling knowing that 'your' club will always win. 

So should we be embarrassed the club turned itself around and became much healthier financially? What an absolutely ridiculous notion.

And most of us are of an age where we remember when we didn’t always win and were on our arse financially with zero guarantee that it would ever turn around….but it did and spectacularly well and beyond what any of us then probably hoped for considering the direction we were going under the Kelly’s in the 90’s

Edited by Jinky67

42 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

So should we be embarrassed the club turned itself around and became much healthier financially? What an absolutely ridiculous notion.

And most of us are of an age where we remember when we didn’t always win and were on our arse financially with zero guarantee that it would ever turn around….but it did and spectacularly well and beyond what any of us then probably hoped for considering the direction we were going under the Kelly’s in the 90’s

The greatest underdogs story ever, I'm welling up here.

36 minutes ago, bennett said:

Tbf the tears probably haven’t stopped for you since Saturday.

Anyway are we now going to get back to why you’re making shite up about not being able to reply to me just so you could avoid answering the most simple of questions? Really keen to understand your views on the decision making process that you need clarity on? 

13 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Tbf the tears probably haven’t stopped for you since Saturday.

Anyway are we now going to get back to why you’re making shite up about not being able to reply to me just so you could avoid answering the most simple of questions? Really keen to understand your views on the decision making process that you need clarity on? 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, bennett said:

Nah. A club climbing the leagues from the bottom tier and winning the top tier title in just 8 years grabs that title. 

Rangers >>>>>>>>> The Mighty Ducks.

37 minutes ago, Ooooft. said:

Nah. A club climbing the leagues from the bottom tier and winning the top tier title in just 8 years grabs that title. 

Rangers >>>>>>>>> The Mighty Ducks.

55 titles in 12 years is also pretty impressive tbh

1 hour ago, bennett said:

giphy.gif

I don’t need to see a visual representation of how you reacted when the penalty wasn’t given just for you to answer the question you have avoided about a dozen times as to if you feel It should have been allowed to taken?

Short of doing you a paint by numbers version I’m unsure how to make it easier for you.

4 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Ball comes into the box and Olusanya goes for it, no intent to hurt the keeper, eyes on the ball. Joe Hart goes down to save the ball, likely knowing he’s going where a striker’s boot will also be going. Hart didn’t shirk out of anything, Hart never made a meal of it even though he got a boot in the puss’ for his troubles. Prior to VAR, the yellow would have sufficed due to no intent on Olusanya’s part. That sort of incident can happen all the time in other areas of the pitch. A defender jumps, catches an opponent square on the nose with an ebow, but no way were they deliberately trying to ‘do them’. A striker tries a glory overhead or bicycle kick, a defender gets accidentally caught…. A defender goes to boot the ball clear, an opponent nicks in from the side and gets a foot to the ball first, the defender, already swinging at where the ball is, wallops the opponent instead - accidentally. We’ve all seen this a zillion times. They all shouldn’t be red cards. If Scales had been short with a back pass, Hart is favourite though to collect, and Olusanya goes red mist and with no real chance of getting there, slides a boot right into Hart, then aye, red card. Again, the type of thing we’ve all seen a zillion times.

What happened to intent, to a referee and linesman knowing what was purely accidental, albeit unfortunate for the player getting a sore one? Post-VAR, it’s a red card, pre-VAR it’s a handshake with the Celtic defenders knowing an opponent never tried to ‘do’ their goalie. 

I sincerely hope going forward, that every single unfortunate accidental incident that sees one player take a sore one, results in a red card for the other player. Every, single, one. Games seeing three guys sent off, whatever. Who cares any more, it’s the modern game, right? Only fair, if the Olusanya one is a red after review, that every other similar ‘sore one’ incident is treated the same. We were losing that game with eleven men anyway, lost it after seven minutes, not saying it changed the outcome - it would have in shitloads of other games though. 

OK Scottish officials and VAR jockeys - every unfortunate incident that is accidental but results in a sore yin’ - I want to see a red card, otherwise I want the VAR audio and a note of who really killed JFK sent by recorded delivery to my front door.

Unless your front door is back and to the left then you’re on to plums.

16 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

So what is it about Celtic that you like ? The obscene financial advantage that ensures they are almost always guaranteed to win domestically. ? Must be a nice , secure feeling knowing that 'your' club will always win. 

Not that I need to justify my support to anyone, but I grew up supporting my club when we were winning nothing and still loved the club. I'd still love my club if we were relegated in the future. I love playing and watching football and I just happened to be brought up being a Celtic fan. I don't have to apologise for the fact that we're the biggest club in the country.

Edited to add: Also not our club's fault that our main rivals cheated for approximately a decade via financial doping and subsequently went bust.

Edited by LuboMoravcik

15 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Studs in the face should be a red card every single time.

6 hours ago, LuboMoravcik said:

Not that I need to justify my support to anyone, but I grew up supporting my club when we were winning nothing and still loved the club. I'd still love my club if we were relegated in the future. I love playing and watching football and I just happened to be brought up being a Celtic fan. I don't have to apologise for the fact that we're the biggest club in the country.

Edited to add: Also not our club's fault that our main rivals cheated for approximately a decade via financial doping and subsequently went bust.

It's also really not our fault that European money has gone up about 10 fold past couple of decades. There was obviously always a gulf but this additional cash is what has really put us out of site. Going off topic a bit but this is why I find it funny that Lawwell is defended so much by some fans. The two main financial reasons for our domestic dominance had  little to do with our own actions.

Edited by gannonball

22 hours ago, pozbaird said:

What happened to intent

You're sounding like Michael Stewart "I don't care what the rules are, that's never a red card". Whether we like it or not the Laws of the Game as they are now is how the game is, or should, be officiated not what they were ten or twenty years ago. Studs in the face from a straight leg is a red card, intentional or not.

7 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

You're sounding like Michael Stewart "I don't care what the rules are, that's never a red card". Whether we like it or not the Laws of the Game as they are now is how the game is, or should, be officiated not what they were ten or twenty years ago. Studs in the face from a straight leg is a red card, intentional or not.

Studs up contact with any part of the opponent's body is usually a red, tbf. People seem to be suggesting that there might be an exception here because Hart was bending but if he got him in the thigh he'd likely have been in trouble as well.