Dumbarton V East Fife 6/1/2024

Dumbarton V East Fife  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

3 - This one I can answer in Faz's words:

For some reason I can’t quote the quote (quotception?) but I seriously fail to see what Harry Broun has proved at such a young age with so few appearances. There is no doubt the guy has had 2 or 3 decent games for us since he arrived but the poor perfomances are starting to outweigh the good, if they haven’t already. 

“His record is very good” - what record? The guy has played in 13 professional games and in his last 3 he has conceded 8 and arguably been at fault for 3 of those. 

Farrell doesn’t half spout some amount of shite to try and justify his daft decisions.

5 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

For some reason I can’t quote the quote (quotception?) but I seriously fail to see what Harry Broun has proved at such a young age with so few appearances. There is no doubt the guy has had 2 or 3 decent games for us since he arrived but the poor perfomances are starting to outweigh the good, if they haven’t already. 

His record is very good” - what record? The guy has played in 13 professional games and in his last 3 he has conceded 8 and arguably been at fault for 3 of those

Farrell doesn’t half spout some amount of shite to try and justify his daft decisions.

Just for context, that was after the Forfar game those quotes are from. So before the last two games where he's struggled a bit.

I can probably answer this to a degree, given I've spoken to Faz about all three.

1 - Tuesday's Lennox. I'm not giving away my work for free before I have to...But (as you can imagine) the words 'budget' and 'stretched' are both involved.

2 - Callum should be back training by the end of this month (or that was the hope when I was speaking to him). He would've been back in October/November, but required a second surgery. Which basically started his whole situation over again. On Durnan, we don't know yet. What started as an issue that should've kept him out for just a few weeks keeps flaring back up. I asked yesterday and Faz didn't have a timescale, but didn't seem overly optimistic.

3 - This one I can answer in Faz's words:

He backs Harry 100 percent. And with the budget already stretched, getting O'Neil (who has trained with us all season anyway) in for buttons makes financial sense. If Harry was to break his ankle, we'd be eligible for an emergency loan - and I reckon that's the route we'd then go down.

Now, these are the decisions managers live and die by. So I'm just the messenger here - but hopefully that's somewhat of an answer to your questions.

Many thanks for your response Jan, and although you are indeed only the messenger the content has a strong ring of authenticity.

It's already well known that the club is struggling with cashflow but it's nevertheless a worry that it appears that none of the income from the Scottish Cup-tie will be used to bolster a playing squad which is now looking increasingly stretched.  That suggests to me that there is a more critical need which in itself would be a worry, and especially if we hadn't drawn Rangers.

On the other stuff we'll, we are all entitled to our opinions and we can agree to politely disagree but the final arbiters will be the results and the league table come May.

On Durnan, we don't know yet. What started as an issue that should've kept him out for just a few weeks keeps flaring back up. I asked yesterday and Faz didn't have a timescale, but didn't seem overly optimistic.

That's exceptionally worrying to hear. If Crighton gets injured, suspended etc then we are absolutely screwed unless there is someone coming in

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

https://eftv.info/highlights-2023-24

EF's excellent highlights are up. Quite why Duncan Williams hasn't given us a penalty for the foul on Ruth I do not know. Anywhere else on the park he gives the foul.

Screenshot_20240107-110339.png

Screenshot_20240107-110346.png

Having seen his performance on Saturday and in other matches, I'm not sure he would have given it. He's just a shite referee. 

ETA - Shite & Inconsistent Referee. Which IMO is worse.

Edited by squeezebox-son

1 hour ago, squeezebox-son said:

Having seen his performance on Saturday and in other matches, I'm not sure he would have given it. He's just a shite referee. 

He's the only referee I think I ever saw Jim Duffy have a right go at too across his whole time with us. Faz rarely has a go at refs, but with Duffy it was even less frequent. I remember him booking Stefan McCluskey for a dive, even though he needed treatment and was taken off with blood coming out a stud mark on his shin :lol:

He's from Helensburgh and I believe he was a youth team player with us for a while when he was a kid too. Come on Dunc, do your local team a favour once in a while, eh?!

50 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

He's the only referee I think I ever saw Jim Duffy have a right go at too across his whole time with us. Faz rarely has a go at refs, but with Duffy it was even less frequent. I remember him booking Stefan McCluskey for a dive, even though he needed treatment and was taken off with blood coming out a stud mark on his shin :lol:

He's from Helensburgh and I believe he was a youth team player with us for a while when he was a kid too. Come on Dunc, do your local team a favour once in a while, eh?!

Sour grapes perhaps... was he released by any chance? 😂

On 06/01/2024 at 16:56, Beachcomber said:

Yaasss  1st win of the season v top 4 opposition. 

You'll get another when you play us again. If we're still in the top four by then.

7 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

I've watched this over and over and can't see anything to suggest this is a penalty. The East Fife defender just stands his ground.

10 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I've watched this over and over and can't see anything to suggest this is a penalty. The East Fife defender just stands his ground.

To be honest, I'd love for you to find evidence of me saying it's a penalty. I thought it was soft at the time and haven't seen it back yet myself.

13 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Have to agree with your analysis if that’s a penalty kick we’d be as well packing in and given the game up . 

If you run into a player and knock him over anywhere else on the park when the ball is travelling in the opposite direction it's a foul. We got one on the touchline in the first-half for a foul by Jack Healy on Finlay Gray that was almost exactly the same.

If that's out the box he gives a free-kick.

East Fife defender stands still Dumbarton player runs into East Fife player didn’t even have ball under control think your looking for any excuse to blame on your teams shortcomings 

1 minute ago, fifer67 said:

East Fife defender stands still Dumbarton player runs into East Fife player didn’t even have ball under control think your looking for any excuse to blame on your teams shortcomings 

Show me where I've used it as an excuse?

I'd agree if he was standing still and Ruth ran into him. But he isn't. If you watch it back, when the ball is first played into the box the defender is behind Ruth by a good six or seven yards. The ball runs across the ground as Ruth looks to move it onto his right foot, the defender's momentum carries him into our player and they collide. He's not touched the ball and he's instigated the contact. The only thing I could give you is that Ruth perhaps isn't in control of the ball; but lets not pretend that the East Fife player is standing still.

Like I said, anywhere else on the pitch it's a foul and nobody bats an eyelid. Saying that doesn't detract from the fact we defended horrendously for two goals and didn't turn up in the first-half.

We’ll have to agree to disagree that’s the beauty of football different opinions. We rode our lick a bit but last game at Dumbarton we were unlucky to leave empty handed with the late winner these things level out over the season.