Dumbarton V East Fife 6/1/2024

Dumbarton V East Fife  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

To single out Lynas for criticism and Blair for praise is a really odd one. I think the fact he has to say the result today wasn’t because of the side he picked, says he knows it really was down to that. Also, why’s he moaning about three games in a week and having to rest players? We haven’t had a game in two weeks!!

I can see him putting out an even more bizarre side at Peterhead to prove a point. It’s what he likes to do when his back’s against the wall, even slightly.

Edited by FifeSons

Thru my Black and  gold specs, I thought that EF fully deserved that win today. The players looked like they were up for it, unlike in the last few games. Easton was very resolute in defence along with McManus and PC Murdoch. Just before the Sons equalised, EF could/should have scored 2 more goals had they had a bit more composure and luck  in front of Broun. Fair doos to Farrel for bringing the 2 winger subs, they caused a lot of trouble particularly on the right flank. Great resilience from The Fifers brought the peach of a second goal and thereafter they could / should have added a few more. Where the Dumbarton fans saw 3 stonewaller penalties, beats me.  My MOTM , was undoubtedly Brogan Walls, who I hope is back to his best.

And I agree with Son’s fans , Farrell does talk a lot of pish, just saying like.

Having thought a bit more on us being rubbisher, today's performance was particularly disappointing.

Harry Broun is not a bad shot stopper. His acrobatic save late in the 2nd half was even quite impressive. But he is what he is - an inexperienced keeper who makes bad decisions, who isnt comfortable coming for crosses and who panics. You can work on his down sides. They'll improve with experience. But all of that takes time and a club chasing promotion is not a place for a rookie keeper to iron out his flaws. It's unfair on him and the players had a real go at him over the EF opener. That won't have helped his confidence any.

I worried when Crighton looked like he was struggling towards the end of the first half. He looked like he'd be replaced at half time as his movement was really limited. I'm glad that he was able to play the remainder of the game, but it highlights just how little cover we've got at the back. I'm not convinced that we'll see Durnan any time soon and Crighton is our only proper centre half. Thats something that the club has to sort out immediately. Lynas didnt have a great game beside him and shares a lot of blame for that first goal, but he's an average right back or right side of a back 3 who is filling in as a centre half. Not really his natural position.

I thought Ryan Blair was terrible today. Very slack in possession. Very poor when EF came at us. He's scored a few goals from set pieces for us but never seems to be part of anything positive from open play. I thought Wilson struggled today too. We really didnt have much in midfield and we weren't getting much width from our fullbacks. Very disappointed that it took near enough 40 minutes to get a meaningful chance on goal.

Up front? The service to Ruth was poor. He tried his best but if there's no service then he can't do much. Same with Wallace. Felt they were marginalised for spells because we were just so poor going forward. 2nd half was an improvement and Ruth will rightly wonder why we didnt get a penalty, but we can't be relying on penalties to salvage something at home to East Fife.

Bringing on Declan Byrne to chase the game sums us up. We have so little on our bench it's unreal. Tony Wallace can be unhappy that he didn't start. He gives us a bit of something that we lacked for large spells today. But who do we have who can come on and give us something?

Credit to East Fife. They were organised. They were more aggressive closing down. They broke and attacked with a bit of pace. All things that we didn't do for long spells of that game today. 

If we have anyone on here with access to the team management I'm sure we'd all welcome straight answers to the following questions:-

1.  Are there plans to freshen up the squad in the January window, and if so can we expect anyone incoming in central defence and attack ?

2.  What exactly is the situation with Mark Durnan and Callum Wilson respectively, ie is there a realistic ETA for first team football ?

3.  We recently signed a goalkeeper with a record of 36 appearances in 10 seasons.  Was this the best or only option available to us ?

Thank you and goodnight.

21 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

If we have anyone on here with access to the team management I'm sure we'd all welcome straight answers to the following questions:-

1.  Are there plans to freshen up the squad in the January window, and if so can we expect anyone incoming in central defence and attack ?

2.  What exactly is the situation with Mark Durnan and Callum Wilson respectively, ie is there a realistic ETA for first team football ?

3.  We recently signed a goalkeeper with a record of 36 appearances in 10 seasons.  Was this the best or only option available to us ?

Thank you and goodnight.

We can but dream. I don't think Faz will be rushing into any more meet the manager sessions anytime soon. 

53 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Thank you and goodnight.

32 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

We can but dream. I don't think Faz will be rushing into any more meet the manager sessions anytime soon. 

It's ok, I'm sure that new director fella (Paul summat?) will be along very shortly to make good on his promises of the open relationship between board and fans.

Edited by Boghead ranter

I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before we see some “be careful what you wish for” / “another manager may take us down” patter on the mental FB group.

Also, am I right in remembering there was quite a bit of talk of dressing room unrest come the end of last season? 

Edited by FifeSons

One thing I will say that’s a positive about Farrell, is that while he has had digs at the fans in interviews, at least (as far as I’m aware) he’s always kept a dignified silence on social media (even though we know he does read it all, despite what he says). God forbid we ever have a Mick Kennedy in charge.

36 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before we see some “be careful what you wish for” / “another manager may take us down” patter on the mental FB group.

Also, am I right in remembering there was quite a bit of talk of dressing room unrest come the end of last season? 

The "dressing room unrest" at the end of last season was absolutely true. Confirmed to me by a player at regular intervals throughout last season.

18 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

One thing I will say that’s a positive about Farrell, is that while he has had digs at the fans in interviews, at least (as far as I’m aware) he’s always kept a dignified silence on social media (even though we know he does read it all, despite what he says). God forbid we ever have a Mick Kennedy in charge.

If Hitler and Mick Kennedy were chained in front of me and I had a rifle with two rounds: I'd shoot Kennedy twice.

32 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

The "dressing room unrest" at the end of last season was absolutely true. Confirmed to me by a player at regular intervals throughout last season.

If Hitler and Mick Kennedy were chained in front of me and I had a rifle with two rounds: I'd shoot Kennedy twice.

Interesting. Wasn’t it Farrell who also fell out with Andy Geggan midway through a season? He’s thrown the players under the bus several times, so I’m not surprised there’s been fallouts. The Aitken’s Army line of “but the players love him and are working so hard for him” doesn’t really stand up. Last two seasons, things have really gone sour towards the end, both on and off the pitch.

If history is anything to go by, the second half of this season could be a real slog. Top 4 is obviously still realistic, but we’ve seen the form go off a cliff before, and Farrell’s reign has not been short of the same patterns over and over (starting well then falling off a cliff, conceding late goals, not showing up in big games etc etc).

Edited by FifeSons

4 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Interesting. Wasn’t it Farrell who also fell out with Andy Geggan midway through a season? He’s thrown the players under the bus several times, so I’m not surprised there’s been fallouts. The Aitken’s Army line of “but the players love him and are working so hard for him” doesn’t really stand up. Last two seasons, things have really gone sour towards then end, both on and off the pitch.

If history is anything to go by, the second half of this season could be a real slog. Top 4 is obviously still realistic, but we’ve seen the form go off a cliff before, and Farrell’s reign has not been short of the same patterns over and over (starting well then falling off a cliff, conceding late goals, not showing up in big games etc etc).

True. On all points.

Greig McDonald has been under severe criticism recently.It was a badly needed win which really needs to be built on.

Yesterday,however no one could say the players didn’t play for him.

Nathan Austin has influenced plenty of games with goals but I doubt if he has ever worked harder for the team than yesterday.

Thought we defended well particularly late on when Dumbarton kept putting crosses in.Would have been more comfortable if we had taken any of the 3 or 4 chances on the break.Brogan Walls’ runs from midfield caused Dumbarton problems throughout.

Hard to explain why we haven’t seen this level more often.

1 minute ago, sneed hearn said:

Greig McDonald has been under severe criticism recently.It was a badly needed win which really needs to be built on.

Yesterday,however no one could say the players didn’t play for him.

Nathan Austin has influenced plenty of games with goals but I doubt if he has ever worked harder for the team than yesterday.

Thought we defended well particularly late on when Dumbarton kept putting crosses in.Would have been more comfortable if we had taken any of the 3 or 4 chances on the break.Brogan Walls’ runs from midfield caused Dumbarton problems throughout.

Hard to explain why we haven’t seen this level more often.

East Fife took full advantage of our makeshift midfield and they also adapted better to the conditions, these were the two main factors IMO.  And you are correct to mention the work rate, to which I would add commitment - you harried us from the off and never allowed us to settle and won almost every tackle.  EF simply wanted it more.

And you have a settled goalkeeper situation which defenders benefit from.

12 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Thank you and goodnight.

I can probably answer this to a degree, given I've spoken to Faz about all three.

1 - Tuesday's Lennox. I'm not giving away my work for free before I have to...But (as you can imagine) the words 'budget' and 'stretched' are both involved.

2 - Callum should be back training by the end of this month (or that was the hope when I was speaking to him). He would've been back in October/November, but required a second surgery. Which basically started his whole situation over again. On Durnan, we don't know yet. What started as an issue that should've kept him out for just a few weeks keeps flaring back up. I asked yesterday and Faz didn't have a timescale, but didn't seem overly optimistic.

3 - This one I can answer in Faz's words:

"Harry Broun is very a good goalkeeper as he’s proved.

“I’ve heard talk about whether we’ll get someone else in as number one. The reality is that I didn’t try and keep Harry from other clubs for any reason other than the fact I knew he was a very good goalkeeper.

“I knew that if anything happened to Brett then Harry could go into the nets and be reliable.

“His record is very good and he has been assured when he’s played for us. I don’t expect anything different from him now he’s our first choice.”

He backs Harry 100 percent. And with the budget already stretched, getting O'Neil (who has trained with us all season anyway) in for buttons makes financial sense. If Harry was to break his ankle, we'd be eligible for an emergency loan - and I reckon that's the route we'd then go down.

Now, these are the decisions managers live and die by. So I'm just the messenger here - but hopefully that's somewhat of an answer to your questions.

14 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

https://eftv.info/highlights-2023-24

EF's excellent highlights are up. Quite why Duncan Williams hasn't given us a penalty for the foul on Ruth I do not know. Anywhere else on the park he gives the foul.

Screenshot_20240107-110339.png

Screenshot_20240107-110346.png

I look at those still pics and have never been more in favour of getting the grass pitch to f**k. 

Season over btw. That was another crushing defeat.