Dumbarton V East Fife 6/1/2024

Dumbarton V East Fife  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

A real, unadultarated, classic Stevie Farrell disasterclass from start to finish today. Quite what he was thinking with that lineup is beyond me. I heard it mentioned that he may have been resting players with an eye on the Peterhead game which is ludicrous if true. Worry about winning your home games and get our best players on the park instead of flinging out a ramshackle lineup with players out of position all over the park. FAO Stevie Farrell - Finlay Gray and James Hilton are not wingers and one of them certainly shouldn’t be starting over our top goalscorer. It was clear as day it wasn’t working and any manager worth their salt would have made the relevant adjustments at half time. 

If people weren’t concerned about the goalkeeping situation after last weekend and the signing of Paddy O’Neil then they certainly will be now. Another complete disaster from Harry Broun for the first East Fife goal and with each passing minute the poor lad is looking like he is absolutely miles out of his depth at this level. 

I genuinely think we’ll struggle to make the playoffs at this rate. 

I totally agree.  As soon as I saw the line-up I had the fear and it only required East Fife to be basically committed and competent to win the game, and they achieved both.

We were ragged from back to front and at times the absence of a Dumbarton shirt in acres of the midfield was frightening.  And whilst referee Williams at times had a baffling interpretation of things, he's not the reason we have now taken one point from a possible nine in the last three home games.

As for the goalkeeping situation, well that's down to the Manager's judgement, as indeed are quite a few things.  I've set my expectations low for the remainder of the season and I'm again reminded of how things were turned around with the same playing squad when we were welded to the foot of the Championship.

That required an honest and brave assessment on the part of the then Board of Directors but sadly I don't expect any repeat.  Groundhog Day it is then.

10 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm again reminded of how things were turned around with the same playing squad when we were welded to the foot of the Championship.

That required an honest and brave assessment on the part of the then Board of Directors but sadly I don't expect any repeat.  Groundhog Day it is then.

Canny see Sir Ian leaving Raith at the moment, tbh.

If we have deliberately rested players today and expected still to get a result then Faz is delusional as to the strength and depth we have but I'd also say it borders on a lack of respect for the opposition. We don't have enough in our squad to rest players like that. I think anyone who doubted T Wallace contribution outside of his goals, could see today what he brought to the team. 

We now need to stop the rot because we have all read this book a couple of times over, and we can't have the same plot unfolding this year. If it does, it will result in us missing out of the play offs completely.

6 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

From where I'm sitting that could be a price WELL worth paying if it changes the manager.

I'd rather we missed the playoffs altogether, rather than make them, get our hopes up, then suffer an Olympic-level crash back to earth, as per usual.

3 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

I'd rather we missed the playoffs altogether, rather than make them, get our hopes up, then suffer an Olympic-level crash back to earth, as per usual.

The simple lesson there is just never get your hopes up

As an EF fan,can I personally thank your manager for not starting Orsi and Tony Wallace.

I thought the EF players put in a shift today with Brian Easton outstanding. Really need one of our central defenders back to release McManus back into midfield.

For me there were too many crosses from Dumbarton got into the box, whilst there was a lack of support up front for Fash.

A good 3 points however,and hopefully a step in the right direction.

It's been a horror week of decisions for Farrell. I hope he realises now Broun is not up to it, sadly, we are not in a position to bleed a goalkeeper who throws in a goal a game. 

The selection and tactics were genuinely crazy. I understand dropping a couple of guys but to go with what he did is unfathomable. I'm afraid the season is fizzling out like every other one Farrell has managed, and the board can kid themselves on they don't have a decision to make but they do. 

23 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

From where I'm sitting that could be a price WELL worth paying if it changes the manager.

The only problem is, with a year left on his contract, I’m sure they’d keep him. The bigger worry is they give him a new contract.

He really is a clown. Protecting Ryan Blair (worst play on the park for me), refusing to admit that Broun is clearly struggling at this level and then going on to say, we didn't lose today because of the changes he made 😂

Also, apparently we were very good in the 2nd half and unlucky not to get something today... 

7 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

I can’t remember ever disliking a Sons manager more than Farrell. He really is a gobshite.

I personally disliked Gerry McCabe and Paul Martin more, but Farrell definitely has a combative style towards the support at times which isn't helpful.

I'd echo The Moonster's comment about it feeling like the season is winding down now. Like the wheels have come off and we'll just plod through the rest of the matches, going through the motions for 3 months to a top five finish.

That first-half today was one of the worst halves of football I have ever seen. The pitch was a nightmare and our absolutely brutal lack of width meant that we created next to absolutely nothing.

East Fife took advantage of some woeful defending and probably could've been further ahead with a wee bit more care in the final third.

That being said, we improved in the last five minutes. And likewise again early in the second-half. Albeit not fully until Tony Wallace and Kalvin Orsi came on, both of whom were excellent.

Our equaliser was deserved and, at that stage and with Wallace and Orsi already looking dangerous, I thought we'd go on to win the game.

Cue the self-destruct button being pressed as soon as we score. Again.

Ryan Blair waited an age in possession before being robbed of it. The ball popped out to Brogan Walls and he curled in an absolutely lovely finish.

I'll wait until I see it back, but Faz was absolutely fuming at us not being awarded a penalty soon after. Matty Shiels got free down the left for pretty much the only time all game, picked out Michael Ruth, who cut inside and appeared to be flattened. It was one of those where it looked so obvious that I wasn't even appealing, just expecting. 

We then must've had a good four shots or so cleared off the line, as we made it look incredibly difficult to prod a ball into a net from four yards. At the other end Harry Broun made two very good saves; first touching a Nathan Austin shot around the post, and then very late on from Kieran Mitchell one-on-one.

Only Faz will know if he rotated the team with half an eye on Tuesday. But if he did, then it backfired. It wasn't a game for Ryan Blair or Div Wilson, and neither played well.

Our lack of width meant we totally nullified Jinky Hilton and Ryan Wallace. I wondered if Hilton could play wide. He can't. So at least that's a question answered.

The goals were are losing at the moment are absolutely criminal. We are our own worst enemy and it's giving us an uphill struggle week after week now. I include Forfar in that, despite how well we played.

What today did show however is exactly why Tony Wallace is so important to us. In the first-half we had no wide outlet and nobody willing to put their foot on the ball with their back to goal and settle things down a bit.

I know he has his limitations, but he makes us a far better team. And my God was that shown rather than having Div Wilson, Jinky and Finlay wide. Where none of them look remotely comfortable.

Aside from the two subs (Orsi and Wallace), I thought Finlay Gray had a decent game when he was returned to central midfield. And big Sean Crighton was fairly solid. Carlo overplayed, but was a threat. Shiels was defensively fine but didn't get forward as much as I would've liked. Until Wallace came on anyway.

It was a good win for East Fife, and although they rode their luck in the second-half it was probably merited. They were the better side in the first-half, and that grizzled warhorse Brian Easton won near enough everything we hoofed his way.

Nathan Austin looked a shadow of his former self in the previous two meetings. But he was far more at the races today too. His workrate was outstanding especially, and he was winning a good amount in the air - even if there weren't too many clearcut chances.

I hope someone made some money on 5+ bookings after my post when I saw that Duncan Williams was in charge. I try to avoid having a go at refs (heck, I've even defended Willie Collum this week on here!) but that guy just isn't it. I don't like his mannerisms on the park, I don't like his wildly inconsistent decision making and I don't think he controls the game at all well. Four times we've had him this season, and on all four occasions I could point to a host of things he's got wrong. That's just not the case for any other ref we've had this season. I don't even remember most of their names.

He's not the reason we lost. But he made an unenjoyable afternoon even less enjoyable.

He's kinda agreeing with some of the comments that have been made here but unlike anyone else, he actually has the chance to do something about it. But as history probably tells us, he either won't or can't.

2 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

I personally disliked Gerry McCabe and Paul Martin more, but Farrell definitely has a combative style towards the support at times which isn't helpful.

I'd echo The Moonster's comment about it feeling like the season is winding down now. Like the wheels have come off and we'll just plod through the rest of the matches, going through the motions for 3 months to a top five finish.

True, McCabe went nuts towards the end. Martin was very dislikable, too, but at least we had the sense to bin him when he took us down. Farrell’s been given so much rope.