Partick Thistle vs Arbroath - 6th January 2024

I wonder if there's also an element of a slight change in playing style under McIntyre?  I don't really recall Gaston having to come up off his line all that much previously under the previous management, and ToB and Little were supposed to sit deep.  Many of the goals we conceded were when Little was caught upfield.

Maybe McIntyre is expecting his defence to play a little higher and expecting Gaston to come off his line a little more?  Given the chopping and changing of our defence, itss hard to tell.

We’ve been pretty poor and thankfully Arbroath have no quality going forward (so far). We’re far too slow on the ball and should be exploiting Arbroath’s high defensive line much more than we have.

Dunno if im being too charitable but didnt look like Gaston was *too* badly at fault for the goal; Grahams movement, touch and finish from a tight angle all looked excellent.

Linesman seems like he cant be arsed calling tight offsides so just flings the flag up every time. Ref also keen to give incredibly soft free kicks.

Not a great game so far, think we've had the better opportunities but not too much in it. Feels like we definitely need a 2nd, Arbroath getting first contact on way too many of the pishy free kicks theyve been given.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

I don't know whether Arbroath's high line / offside trap is stopping our normal game plan of going wide and crossing,  but we've had a goal and should have had a second from breaking it, we should be looking for Fitzpatrick with these passes as none of their defenders will get near him pace-wise.

They've had a lot of the ball but haven't done much with it from open play, lots of long shots and set pieces but other than the time McMillan got skinned by McIntosh they've not got behind us. Ref treating it like a basketball match in terms of allowable contact, between that and the pitch not a great spectacle.

Asked earlier who it was on co-comms, think it might be Steven Bell (it's definitely a recently retired ex-player)as he mentioned commentating before, he's certainly had some decent insights about defensive communication and positioning which you would only get from playing the game professionally  but maybe needs to chill out a wee bit.

Besides the goal, not much between the teams.

Bird is looking sharp and getting stuck in - but we need to be creating better chances.

Still in the game and in fairness to Gaston, he has also pullled off a couple of good saves.

Maybe playing a little too high up with the off side trap - but seems to be working.

Truly brutal match. Largely losing the midfield as usual. Got the goal (I thought Gaston should have cleared from my vantage on the JLS) and we do look more likely to score again than concede. However we don’t do clean sheets so Arbroath may still fancy themselves for something here.

Just now, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Dunno if im being too charitable but didnt look like Gaston was *too* badly at fault for the goal; Grahams movement, touch and finish from a tight angle all looked excellent.

Linesman seems like he cant be arsed calling tight offsides so just flings the flag up. Ref also keen to give incredibly soft free kicks.

Not a great game so far, think we've had the better opportunities but not too much in it. Feels like we definitely need a 2nd, Arbroath getting first contact on way too many of the pishy free kicks theyve been given.

At no point until Graham actually got to the ball first did I think he was getting there first. Was thinking "if only that had been Fitzpatrick it would be a goal... oh it's a goal anyway"

Agree with everything else. At least we didn't concede within 5 minutes of scoring which seems to have been plaguing us of late.

I'm half watching the half time show on the stream, which seems to consist of an interview with a heavily depressed man?  

Stream coverage is good, but the commentators could follow the game better, it sometimes feels like they are having a conversation which is only slightly related to what is actually happening on the pitch.

4 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I'm half watching the half time show on the stream, which seems to consist of an interview with a heavily depressed man?  

Stream coverage is good, but the commentators could follow the game better, it sometimes feels like they are having a conversation which is only slightly related to what is actually happening on the pitch.

Much better than our clown