2024 Travel Plans

I've got Durham, Skye, Florence/Rome lined up and potentially going for a London NFL game.

I really wanna do a 2 week trip through Austria and Switzerland but it always seems such an expensive task, looking like 2025 but I'm happy with this year's travels. 

Last year I did York and Toronto/New York and it was the first trips since 2019 so very much enjoyed it especially since the covid lockdowns. 

Also a bit of a reach but I'd love to go to the US again for the world cup. 

On 04/02/2024 at 21:05, RuMoore said:

I've got Durham, Skye, Florence/Rome lined up and potentially going for a London NFL game.

I really wanna do a 2 week trip through Austria and Switzerland but it always seems such an expensive task, looking like 2025 but I'm happy with this year's travels. 

Last year I did York and Toronto/New York and it was the first trips since 2019 so very much enjoyed it especially since the covid lockdowns. 

Also a bit of a reach but I'd love to go to the US again for the world cup. 

Austria not as pricey in Switzerland in my experience.  Eating out yes, but supermarkets, hotels and train tickets are generally cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...

For the first time in years, cheers Covid you git!, I actually have a set of decent travel plans. I have two weddings in the space of 3 weeks, the first in Zante and the second in Southport. Two days after the second wedding we're heading off to Japan for two weeks starting in Tokyo, then heading for Kyoto and Osaka then heading back to Tokyo and for the first & probably only time we are flying in First class. We have also pencilled in a couple of long weekends with Stockholm being the main one so far.

23 hours ago, budmiester1 said:

For the first time in years, cheers Covid you git!, I actually have a set of decent travel plans. I have two weddings in the space of 3 weeks, the first in Zante and the second in Southport. Two days after the second wedding we're heading off to Japan for two weeks starting in Tokyo, then heading for Kyoto and Osaka then heading back to Tokyo and for the first & probably only time we are flying in First class. We have also pencilled in a couple of long weekends with Stockholm being the main one so far.

Tokyo-Stockholm-Southport sounds like the writing on the side of Del Boy's van.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/02/2024 at 17:12, budmiester1 said:

I absolutely loved Kyoto and Osaka when we went there last summer. The Fushimi Inari Shrine is a good visit and once you start climbing up the hill, the number of tourists drops massively so you can get better photos without the crowds. The wagyu steak we had in Osaka is also the best food I've ever tasted so definitely find a good steak place while you're there.

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/01/2024 at 08:45, Derry Alli said:

Contemplating ditching abroad this year and booking solo to Cuba or Mexico for 2025. 7 days wouldn't be enough though so would need to be 10 upwards but worried I'd end up hermit by about day 8 being on my own.

It looks like you'll only get there with indirect flights - Tui is stopping the last direct flights from UK to Cuba in April and Virgin is likely to follow suit.

You can actually get from Mexico to Cuba so could kill 2 birds with one stone.  Cheapest way for Cuba only would be flying to Canada then to Cuba.  

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

14 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

2 weeks in Rivera Maya booked for start of July.  Only been to Pacific Mexico so looking forward to visiting the different sights of the Yucatan.

Don't miss Chichen Itza. Dive the cenotes if you can. And don't drink TOO many tamarind margaritas, they're highly addictive. (Ask me how I know 🤮)

1 hour ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Don't miss Chichen Itza. Dive the cenotes if you can. And don't drink TOO many tamarind margaritas, they're highly addictive. (Ask me how I know 🤮)

Doing both of those plus Coba, Uxmal, Valladolid, Chacchoben,  Tulum and Rio Secreto. 

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

19 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Doing both of those plus Coba, Uxmal, Valladolid, Chacchoben  Tulum and Rio Secreto. 

Phew, that's not a holiday, that's an ultramarathon! 

Perhaps not coincidentally you'll be there for the start of the peak whale shark season, and very handily positioned for Isla Mujeres and Isla Contoi. Enjoy!!

51 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Phew, that's not a holiday, that's an ultramarathon! 

Perhaps not coincidentally you'll be there for the start of the peak whale shark season, and very handily positioned for Isla Mujeres and Isla Contoi. Enjoy!!

Always manage to fit in at least one boat trip and that had crossed my mind.

16 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It looks like you'll only get there with indirect flights - Tui is stopping the last direct flights from UK to Cuba in April and Virgin is likely to follow suit.

You can actually get from Mexico to Cuba so could kill 2 birds with one stone.  Cheapest way for Cuba only would be flying to Canada then to Cuba.  

Just a quick note for anyone contemplating Cuba - if you plan on going to the US after you've done so, you won't be eligible for an ESTA and you'll need to get a full visa. One of Donald Trump's last actions as President designated Cuba a state sponsor of terrorism and you can't travel on an ESTA if you've been since 2020 (I think). This probably at least in part explains why the direct options from the UK are dwindling and probably about to become extinct. 

And on that note: absolutely do not transit via the US if you hold an ESTA. They'll cheerfully sell you a ticket to Cuba from Miami and then deny you boarding when you try to return because you're no longer eligible for an ESTA. 

Edited by Michael W

7 hours ago, Michael W said:

Just a quick note for anyone contemplating Cuba - if you plan on going to the US after you've done so, you won't be eligible for an ESTA and you'll need to get a full visa. One of Donald Trump's last actions as President designated Cuba a state sponsor of terrorism and you can't travel on an ESTA if you've been since 2020 (I think). This probably at least in part explains why the direct options from the UK are dwindling and probably about to become extinct. 

And on that note: absolutely do not transit via the US if you hold an ESTA. They'll cheerfully sell you a ticket to Cuba from Miami and then deny you boarding when you try to return because you're no longer eligible for an ESTA. 

Going by Mexico or Canada is far easier.

Hanging fire until I see where St Mirren are going in Europe next season*

*Have booked a transatlantic cruise from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale, as I don’t fancy Wales, or staying at home.

On 04/02/2024 at 21:05, RuMoore said:

Given that Toronto was originally called York, I think I can spot a theme here.

Just booked a few days in Berlin for the end of August, sick of folk giving vague “let me ask the burd” “I’ll let you know” answers when I ask about going away so bit the bullet and going on my own. 

First time going abroad on my tod and very much looking forward to it! 

On 07/04/2024 at 22:54, Central Belt Caley said:

Just booked a few days in Berlin for the end of August, sick of folk giving vague “let me ask the burd” “I’ll let you know” answers when I ask about going away so bit the bullet and going on my own. 

First time going abroad on my tod and very much looking forward to it! 

There are a lot of pros to travelling solo. I went to Helsinki by myself last year and used an app and ended up going out for drinks with locals. It was a great laugh. No concerns waiting for someone to get ready to go out or picking somewhere to eat either.