Terrible presents

10 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

I studied history and politics at uni and my mum, who did an OU history degree while I was growing up, thought it fitting to buy me a copy of Mein Kampf along with a copy of The Communist Manifesto and The Wealth of Nations one Christmas. While, in all honesty, I've never really seen much issue with it, l often get horrified looks when recanting this tale.

A couple of weeks later, for my 21st birthday, she gave me a dried, severed ostrich toe that she'd found in an antique shop. That one is a little harder to justify.

I bought my wife Mein Kampf last year. She likes war history n' shit, and that book plays a huge part.

One Christmas from the ex and kids I got a  rubber duck with a radio inside, cos I like lying in the bath.

It kept sinking.

I went out on boxing day and bought myself some shit I actually wanted, I was not popular.

I'm at an age where I'm hard to buy for. Get asked every year what I'd like and never have an answer

This year I knew what I wanted ,and this is the year nobody bothered to ask

Ach ,maybe for my birthday

Despite, or perhaps because of, neither myself nor Brummie Clyde ever showing even the slightest interest in religion, my aunt would always get us illustrated versions of books of the Bible.

Jonah and the Whale was alright, tbf.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

I once had a sort of "Ron Weasley" moment.

When I was in my teens, an elderly aunt who (I now understand was in the early stages of dementia) knitted me a red and purple tank top for my Christmas.  To top it off she had sewn a huge letter in the middle, being the first initial of my name.

I had to wear it that day. All day. And every time she was due to visit us, or we were due to visit her. 

2 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I once had a sort of "Ron Weasley" moment.

When I was in my teens, an elderly aunt who (I now understand was in the early stages of dementia) knitted me a red and purple tank top for my Christmas.  To top it off she had sewn a huge letter in the middle, being the first initial of my name.

I had to wear it that day. All day. And every time she was due to visit us, or we were due to visit her. 

I had to do that with a "leather" jacket my mum and dad got me one year.

Sadly it got "stolen" when I went to Uni.  First week I was there as well, very unfortunate.

My parents got my 2 year old daughter a load of large soft play blocks, ramps, mats etc for her birthday last year. So much so that we wouldn’t have had the space to lay it all out or store it properly. 

I was livid when they brought it in the house; took about 4 trips to the car. They were told to take it back and rein it in, which didn’t go down too well. 

3 hours ago, Peil said:

One Christmas from the ex and kids I got a  rubber duck with a radio inside, cos I like lying in the bath.

It kept sinking.

I went out on boxing day and bought myself some shit I actually wanted, I was not popular.

Had to do that last year. I made several suggestions about someone buying me a massive orange toblerone and was it there on Christmas morning? Was it f**k.

Went out and bought one on Boxing day, much to the disgust of the wife, bairn and more importantly, myself. 

My daughter (she’s ten) usually gets me rubbish gifts but for Xmas there she got me Stranger Things mug & socks set which I was pleased with. I love a novelty sock and a mug of tea! 

Edited by Ooooft.

For mothers day when I was a child I gave my mum a card with a picture of my old dog they had given away on it and explained on the card how this was cruel behaviour and had made me very upset. 

Still feel bad. 

8 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

For mothers day when I was a child I gave my mum a card with a picture of my old dog they had given away on it and explained on the card how this was cruel behaviour and had made me very upset. 

Still feel bad. 

Did they tell you it had gone to live on a farm?

1 hour ago, RuMoore said:

Still feel bad. 

I'm actually with you on this one

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Did they tell you it had gone to live on a farm?

Ahah nah, they got the dog then realised it was unfair because we were all out of the house between 9-5 so gave them to a retired couple that could give him the attention, funnily enough I used to work in the town the new owners lived in and and would see them walking him when driving past on a regular basis. 

14 hours ago, Peil said:

It kept sinking.

I think the clues were all there that you weren't that popular. The ex bought you something to take in the bath with electrics in it. Clearly they were trying to bump you off!