Africa Cup of Nations 2023

BFTD

Time for the biennial edition of goalkeeping howlers, with hosts Ivory Coast getting us underway against Guinea-Bissau on Saturday. They're in the same time zone as us, so the kick-off times on Wiki don't need adjusting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Africa_Cup_of_Nations

As ever, a great opportunity to see some nations and players that we're rarely exposed to. Who do you fancy to win this time out? Any dark horses to look out for? Which of the big names are going to faceplant against one of the diddies?

@General dissaray - your chance to shine with knowledge of which Tanzanians have the best chance of lighting up the SPFL!

8 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Frankie Musonda player of the tournament.

Was just about to ask if anyone has the big list of Scotland-based players.

We almost had a player on the field last time out, but sadly Guinea-Bissau kept Fernandy Mendy on the bench for all three games.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Time for the biennial edition of goalkeeping howlers, with hosts Ivory Coast getting us underway against Guinea-Bissau on Saturday. They're in the same time zone as us, so the kick-off times on Wiki don't need adjusting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Africa_Cup_of_Nations

As ever, a great opportunity to see some nations and players that we're rarely exposed to. Who do you fancy to win this time out? Any dark horses to look out for? Which of the big names are going to faceplant against one of the diddies?

@General dissaray - your chance to shine with knowledge of which Tanzanians have the best chance of lighting up the SPFL!

Aren't sure but Egypt seem to win it a lot don't they?If was a betting man would probably go with them allthough individually Senegal are fantastic 

Scottish based players 
Jojo Wollacott Hibs/Ghana
Abdallah Sima Rangers/Senegal
Rocky Bushiri HIbs/ DR Congo
Frankie Musonda Ayr/Zambia

Roberto Nditi Forfar/Tanzania was in the preliminary squad but never made the final one

1 hour ago, General dissaray said:

Aren't sure but Egypt seem to win it a lot don't they?If was a betting man would probably go with them allthough individually Senegal are fantastic 

Egypt haven't won it for a while although they did get to the final last time. Morocco might be a good bet after their world cup run but I don't think they've won AFCON since the 70s?

2 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

You can already add a team nearly being killed on the way to the tournament to your AFCON bingo card.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/67944871

A team threatening to strike over unpaid bonuses and someone being accused of witchcraft are next on the list.

tumblr_pycjrvbmlW1xqq5qqo1_540.gif

African Nation 'Boycotts' Training Just Days Before Afcon | Soccer Laduma (snl24.com)

2023 Africa Cup of Nations: Gambia players refuse to train over unpaid bonuses (ghanaweb.com)

image.png.5f941fe2a54063800da05ebaaac92092.png

Gambia squad's bonus squabble ends before Afcon flight grounded | Sport (news24.com)

Gambia squad's bonus squabble resolved before Afcon flight

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952b1z9nuq3016u4o504sz

42 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

The Gambia camp sounds a lot more entertaining than the tedious updates we get from Gabriel Clarke and the England camp.

23 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Egypt haven't won it for a while although they did get to the final last time. Morocco might be a good bet after their world cup run but I don't think they've won AFCON since the 70s?

Egypt and Morocco were two of the most dour sides in the last instalment, with the former being grimly cynical too IIRC. Quite pleased that Senegal came out on top in the end. Egypt won it three times on the trot in the Aughts while steadfastly refusing to qualify for a World Cup with a side that I remember seeing referred to as one of the best that Africa had produced...so that's a shame. As you say, Morocco are well overdue a continental title; their sole win in 1976 looks dramatic, as they came within 4 minutes of losing out to Guinea in one of those shite round-robin final tables that somebody keeps thinking is a good idea.

If we're going to get a new champion, apparently Mali are the most likely candidates; they're also probably the best African nation that we're yet to see at a World Cup. Some of the traditional favourites like Cameroon, Ghana, and Ivory Coast themselves aren't quite as hot shit as they used to be. No debutantes this time out, but the diddies of the tournament are probably Tanzania, who've only qualified in 1970 and 2019 before this. Gambia qualified for the first time in 2021, but made it to the quarter-finals at the first attempt.

Let's hope we get some decent goalscoring this time out, as the goals per game has been dropping for the past seven tournaments in a row (yes, I've been busy on Wikipedia!)

Africa Cup of Nations: Dates for 2025 finals undecided amid Club World Cup clash - BBC Sport

I naively assumed East Africa 2027 was next edition of this tournament i.e. in 3yrs time... but it turns-out they have an edition next year in Morocco. It cannot now be in June due to FIFA's giant Club World Cup so it looks like we're having African Nations Cups in January 2024, January 2025 and January 2027!

Surely it's time CAF - and CONCACAF - are told to play their tournaments every 4yrs, matching the tempo of the rest of football?

I don’t know why…..but I absolutely love this tournament! Love the madness of it.

Shite keepers ✅ 

Bright kits ✅ 

Incompetent officials ✅

Corruption allegations ✅

Overly enthusiastic supporters ✅

Terrible pitches/stadiums ✅

I can’t wait 😀

Just now, lichtie23 said:

I don’t know why…..but I absolutely love this tournament! Love the madness of it.

Shite keepers ✅ 

Bright kits ✅ 

Incompetent officials ✅

Corruption allegations ✅

Overly enthusiastic supporters ✅

Terrible pitches/stadiums ✅

I can’t wait 😀

You've just described the #cinch that's why