Africa Cup of Nations 2023

BFTD

There's a somewhat infamous American girl also travelling around West Africa at the moment. I know her from Guinea-Bissau. A mutual friend has told me she's currently shacked up with Emilio Nsue, the tournament's top scorer. Can't wait for her to Yoko their chances in the knockout stages.

(^ better gossip column than the shitey BBC one)

Boring conclusion to group E sees Mali vs Namibia and South Africa vs Tunisia both end 0-0. Tunisia the latest big name failure, Mali win the group, South Africa second, and Namibia qualify for the first time as one the best third place teams.

Côte d'Ivoire left needing a miracle in the later games to get through, now.

Actually Côte d'Ivoire don't need that much of a miracle, for some reason I thought they were on two points, not three. Currently heading through, even though they've already sacked their manager on the basis they were heading out...

Pretty routine and expected cuffing for Namibia, but Angola have looked better than I expected so far in the tournament - should be a handful for Nigeria or Cameroon. Wouldn't be surprised if they beat the latter, at least.

8 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

2-0 to Nigeria. Not a great game, imo.

Yep, but mainly because Cameroon created nothing up front, and Nigeria kept making poor decisions at the final hurdle. The latter could be really dangerous if they sorted that out. It was pretty end-to-end other than that. Sad to see Cameroon a pale shadow of some sides from the past.

Angola v Nigeria could be a cracker - two quick, attacking teams. I quite fancy Angola, but the semis would be nosebleed territory for them, and Nigeria have only conceded once so far. Nigeria's form over the past couple of years hasn't been great, however. Maybe not as straightforward as the rankings and odds might imply.

On 25/01/2024 at 18:32, highlandmac said:

You only want guinea to win so the locals don't murder you

I've positioned myself close to the border for a quick getaway if things go wrong this evening.

Incidentally, every one of the ten African countries I've visited qualified for the tournament

Edited by DiegoDiego

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

Incidentally, every one of the ten African countries I've visited qualified for the tournament

Might want to drop the Central African Football Federation a line and see if you can wangle a few weeks holiday.

On 24/01/2024 at 15:25, DiegoDiego said:

There's a somewhat infamous American girl also travelling around West Africa at the moment. I know her from Guinea-Bissau. A mutual friend has told me she's currently shacked up with Emilio Nsue, the tournament's top scorer. Can't wait for her to Yoko their chances in the knockout stages.

(^ better gossip column than the shitey BBC one)

Missed a pen eh :lol:

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

Well this is predictability nuts #PrayForDiego

IMG_20240128_190616.jpg

IMG_20240128_192339.jpg

IMG_20240128_192313.jpg

'mon the Guinea!  :lol:

Such a shame you only had your mid-Aughts clamshell cameraphone with you to capture the carnage.

Meanwhile, to tonight's game: I'm still getting flashes of confusion every time "The Pharoahs" are mentioned and it's not a miserable damp night in Torshavn.