Equivalent of Scottish clubs in other leagues.

I know very little about La Liga, so ended up asking a friend to compare Spanish clubs to Scottish ones.

So for any given nation, what are their clubs' Scottish equivalents?

@EaglesandSpiders will hopefully correct me on this (and will certainly find one comparison unwelcome), but this is my stab at Turkey:

Fenerbahçe - Celtic
Galatasaray - Sevco
Kasimpaşa - Thistle
Eskişehirspor - Falkirk
Bursaspor - Airdrie
Trabzonspor - Aberdeen
Ankaragücü - Hearts
Genclerbirligi - Hibs
Başakşehir - Queen's Park

22 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I know very little about La Liga, so ended up asking a friend to compare Spanish clubs to Scottish ones.

@EaglesandSpiders will hopefully correct me on this (and will certainly find one comparison unwelcome), but this is my stab at Turkey:

Fenerbahçe - Celtic
Galatasaray - Sevco
Kasimpaşa - Thistle
Eskişehirspor - Falkirk
Bursaspor - Airdrie
Trabzonspor - Aberdeen
Ankaragücü - Hearts
Genclerbirligi - Hibs
Başakşehir - Queen's Park

😂😂😂

Interesting list but before I give you my two pennies worth, let me start by asking why Beşiktaş didn't make this list. 

41 minutes ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

😂😂😂

Interesting list but before I give you my two pennies worth, let me start by asking why Beşiktaş didn't make this list. 

So this is just going on my one season's observation of Turkish football, but first of all, we're starting with the idea that there are three big clubs in Istanbul and two big clubs in Glasgow. Two into three doesn't go. Someone has to be left out.

For me Fenerbahçe were clearly Celtic: thinking they've the moral high ground whilst being as grubby as the rest, their penchant for signing big name past-it players is definitely old firm, I don't think Beşiktaş are as bad for that.

Beşiktaş for me (and bear in mind I'm basing almost all of this on circa 2018) were a club with a beautiful new stadium full of fans who were there solely to post on social media that they were there. The amount of drunken arseholes who spent half the game with their back to the pitch taking selfies was really saddening. I don't think there's a Scottish equivalent of that.

So it made more sense for Galatasaray to be Rangers, with the Souness connection and nineties glory days (Şukur/Hagi : Laudrup/Gascoigne), than Beşiktaş.

Very willing to be educated on this though!

1 hour ago, Menzel said:

Not sure I understand the point of this thread nor in general why Scottish football needs to be compared to anything else.

Bohemians seem a bit Hibsy, but that could just be my laziness equating the green n white badge.

Slovacko sounds a bit like Sevco. Slavia play in red and white and seem a bit right wing. They can be Airdrie.

Do youse have a team beloved by the artsy set? Ideally based in the largest non-capital city, but it doesn't have to be.

On 12/01/2024 at 22:21, DiegoDiego said:

So this is just going on my one season's observation of Turkish football, but first of all, we're starting with the idea that there are three big clubs in Istanbul and two big clubs in Glasgow. Two into three doesn't go. Someone has to be left out.

For me Fenerbahçe were clearly Celtic: thinking they've the moral high ground whilst being as grubby as the rest, their penchant for signing big name past-it players is definitely old firm, I don't think Beşiktaş are as bad for that.

Beşiktaş for me (and bear in mind I'm basing almost all of this on circa 2018) were a club with a beautiful new stadium full of fans who were there solely to post on social media that they were there. The amount of drunken arseholes who spent half the game with their back to the pitch taking selfies was really saddening. I don't think there's a Scottish equivalent of that.

So it made more sense for Galatasaray to be Rangers, with the Souness connection and nineties glory days (Şukur/Hagi : Laudrup/Gascoigne), than Beşiktaş.

Very willing to be educated on this though!

So here's what I think. I'm gonna start with the ones I agree, although I'm not entirely sure we're basing our comparisons on the same criteria.

1) Ankaragücü & Gençlerbirliği = Hearts & Hibs

Fair enough. Both teams from the capital, completely outclassed by Istanbul teams, with no particular success on the field, casually dropping down and coming back up, but mostly First tier regulars. Ankaragücü fans are one of the worst (their chairman punched a referee after a game, which made the evening news even here). Gençlerbirliği fans are fewer in numbers but more political (leftist). There is a long-standing feud between Beşiktaş and Ankaragücü fans, originating from the last match of the 1992-93 season when Galatasaray beat them 8-0 away and stole the title from us by goal difference. Many still believe that the game was fixed. So yeah f**k Ankaragücü. 

2) Aberdeen= Trabzon 

I think this is also spot on. Both teams have strong local support and have won league titles, breaking the monopoly of the Istanbul/Glasgow teams from time to time. 

3) Airdrie = Bursaspor 

😂😂😂

I can see where you're coming from with this one and as a Beşiktaş & Queen's Park fan, I completely agree. Racist p***ks the both of them. Thankfully, Bursaspor have recently fucked themselves into oblivion and are competing in the 4th tier. They barely avoided complete financial collapse this season. So yeah, f**k Bursaspor, too. 

Now, you being a Thistle fan, I can totally understand why you sympathise with Kasımpaşa as being the small underdog Istanbul district team with a history of strong and loyal local support and I respect that. I'm also happy that you enjoyed watching matches in the You-Know-Who stadium but they are owned by a corrupt businessman who is in bed with You-Know-Who himself and as I said before, I hate the b*****ds simply because of that connection. 

Now, as for the colourful sisters Fenerbahçe and Galatasaray... Honestly, I don't disagree with your criteria & comparison but we need to address the huge sectarian elephant in the room here. The rivalry between Fenerbahçe and Galatasaray has never been fuelled by the poison that fuels the Old Firm in Scottish football. Galatasaray IS the most successful football team in the history of Turkish football if you go by the amount of silverware they keep in their museum but Fenerbahçe is a better sports club, always competing at the highest level in all branches. Their basketball team is a final four regular in Euro league, their volleyball teams are probably among the best in the world, and they constantly train and sponsor star athletes in other amateur sports, something which I have always envied as a Beşiktaş fan. Galatasaray don't have that, either. There is also almost nothing that separates their fans politically or culturally, apart from the fact that Galatasaray has a more aristocratic history and background due their historical connection to Lycee De Galatasaray, a highly elite school founded by the French Government in the late Ottoman Era. Other than that the only thing that separates the two is the beautiful Bosphorus 😀

I can't comment on Falkirk=Eskişehirspor but again I think I can see where you're coming from. Both teams, despite their strong and respectable fan base have suffered severe economic hardship and are competing in divisions that they don't deserve to be in. I think they also have the same colours. 

I'm going to write a separate post on Başakşehir= Queen's Park, and your experience with & observations on Beşiktaş fans. Let me know what you think so far 😂

5 hours ago, Brummie Clyde said:

I think the most important question is 'which Turkish club is the Clyde equivalent?'.

Clyde have no parallels in world football. At a push probably some Kyrgyzstani nomadic club.

@EaglesandSpiders I agree with you about Fenerbahçe, it must be good being a fan. "Dempster's made an arse of the football, I'll concentrate on our handball team for now." Being fan owned and influenced is a positive and that yüz yıl song is a belter.

Women's volleyball is such a great sport and I absolutely adore Vakifbank, a wonderful organisation. I didn't get into basketball until I left Istanbul unfortunately but I'd love to go back and watch some.

Surprised about Ankaragücü, some of their fans were really nice and I love the "Kop kop kop. Kim o? ücü, Ankaragücü!" chat.

Falkirk - Eskişehirspor was a bit of a stretch. Clubs who have been half decent but are in the doldrums. Also love a day out in Perth. Eskişehir is a delight of a town though and Falkirk doesn't compare.

7 hours ago, Brummie Clyde said:

I think the most important question is 'which Turkish club is the Clyde equivalent?'.

I scoured the annals of Turkish football league but couldn't find an equivalent team that signed a convicted rapist, mate. Sorry!

Edit: Oh hang on! I've just remembered and so I have been presented with an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone here. Başakşehir did sign Robinho (yes, that Robinho) after he was convicted of rape and was running away from Brazilian & Italian authorities. So here you go! I've found an equivalent for Clyde FC and refuted @DiegoDiego's comparison 

Edited by EaglesandSpiders
Robinho thing

1 hour ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

I scoured the annals of Turkish football league but couldn't find an equivalent team that signed a convicted rapist, mate. Sorry!

Goodwillie was never actually convicted of rape, or do you have someone else in mind?

14 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

Goodwillie was never actually convicted of rape, or do you have someone else in mind?

That's exactly who I have in mind, mate. And please don't try to explain the difference between a criminal and civil court conviction to me. 

On 14/01/2024 at 15:15, EaglesandSpiders said:

That's exactly who I have in mind, mate. And please don't try to explain the difference between a criminal and civil court conviction to me. 

Should I try to explain the law on defamation?

On 12/01/2024 at 21:01, DiegoDiego said:

@EaglesandSpiders will hopefully correct me on this (and will certainly find one comparison unwelcome), but this is my stab at Tuekey.

Galatasaray

Never heard of them.