Albums of 2024

coprolite

The new Daniel Romano album is exceptional and will definitely be up there, if not my favourite this year. Have also been enjoying the NewDad, MGMT, Yard Act and Sheer Mag records.

Been enjoying songs off the new Yard Act but don’t feel like I’d like to listen through from start to finish.

Not sure if Little Simz drop 7 counts as an album. Seen it called an album and an EP. Seven tracks but no longer than 20 mins, maybe even 15. A couple very good but a couple fillers. 

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Internet Citizen said:

Really enjoying the new Waxahatchee album, Tigers Blood. I think I like it even more than the last album, which I played a lot. 

I just finished this one about 15 minutes ago. Really good, nice and laid back, some great lyrics.

• 2 weeks later...

Have listened to enough good stuff this year for a top 10 of the year so far now:

1. Daniel Romano - Too Hot To Sleep
  2. NewDad - Madra
  3. MGMT - Loss Of Life
  4. Holy Esque - Lay My Head Down Slow
  5. Yard Act - Where’s My Utopia?
  6. Sheer Mag - Playing Favourites
  7. The Smile - Wall Of Eyes
  8. Future Islands - People Who Aren’t There Anymore
  9. Ducks Ltd - Harm’s Way
  10. Omni - Souvenir

On 09/04/2024 at 16:56, Don Diego De la Vega said:

Wasn't blown away by vampire weekends latest on first listen 

I've listened to it about 6 times now. It's pretty dull tbh. The first half is pretty good, the 2nd half drags. Ice Cream Piano is a tremendous song, but the rest of it ranges from utter tedium (The Surfer, Hope, Capricorn, Pravda) to decent at best (Connect, Prep-School Gangsters, Mary Boone). I'll keep listening to see if it clicks further, but for me it just doesn't have that energetic, punky spark that the first two albums had. 6/10

Speaking of lacking an energetic, punky spark; The Libertines album is also pish. Boring beige indie rock.

• 4 weeks later...

The new Camera Obscura album is great, imo, and stands up against their best. It doesn’t feel like a comeback but more of a continuation despite everything that’s happened since Desire Lines. 

Posted (edited)

The new Scott Lavene album "Disneyland in Dagenham" is out today. It's decent, but not a patch on "Milk City Sweethearts" which was his last release, however, this is a catchy weird pop gem from it and my favourite song of the year so far:

https://youtu.be/nBvoboWIuHw?si=8oywcy2CC4tKe8ey

Edited by cb_diamond