Albums of 2024

coprolite

What albums are you looking forward to, enjoying or disappointed or pleasantly surprised by in 2024?

I’ll kick things off with Bruiser Wolf’s My Story got Stories. Almost three years since his debut album, and he’s developed his very original alt hip hop style with bigger, cleaner production. Lyrics are a little gangsta for my palate but on the side of “matter of fact” rather than “ooh I’m hard”. More guests on this one, more variety, but less individuality. Will take a few listens.

30 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I caught a wee bit of 6 Music the other day and Bill Ryder-Jones was playing some stuff from his new album. I shall be investigating that.  

I love BRJ. It’s meant to be most similar to ‘A Bad Wind Blows’ if you’re familiar with his older stuff. And if not, that’s a great LP too. 

• 2 weeks later...

So far the best albums I have heard in 2024 are 

Lucifer: Lucifer V   No prizes for guessing it is their fifth album (others have been Lucifer, 2 3 4 so not too creative at titles ala early solo Gabriel). Brilliant 70s sounding psychedelic hard rock with massive 80s choruses with lots of dark humour. The choruses perhaps helped by the drummer also being in The Hellacopters.

Madder Mortem: Old Eyes, New Heart   Fabulous prog rock with some jazz influences. At times the music could be used in movies, dark ones and at others it is Devin and or Mastodon in riffage and sound. Agneta's voice is fabulous and the whole band are top notch. Bloody great album!

Think 2024 is going to be a good one already!

Listened to 80 new releases this year so far (kept in a spreadsheet to keep track like the sad b*****d I am).

With the caveat that my bias/preferences lean towards alternative rock kind of stuff, my top 10 so far is:

Alkaline Trio - Blood, Hair and Eyeballs

Casey - How To Disappear

Afterglow - Inward

The Last Dinner Party - Prelude to Ecstasy 

Eliza McLamb - Going Through It

Ghost Atlas - Dust of the Human Shape

Being As An Ocean - Death Can Wait

Infant Island - Obsidian Wreath

Moving Boxes - The Things We Leave Behind

Sleater-Kinney - Little Rope

Fairly enjoyed discovering new artists. Hope to continue throughout the year. Afterglow and Eliza McLamb being the two most enjoyable that I wasn't aware of prior to their albums this year - feel the latter could garner a decent following if she can get in front of the Phoebe Bridgers/boygenius crowd.

7 hours ago, Ex Machina said:

Listened to 80 new releases this year so far (kept in a spreadsheet to keep track like the sad b*****d I am).

With the caveat that my bias/preferences lean towards alternative rock kind of stuff, my top 10 so far is:

Alkaline Trio - Blood, Hair and Eyeballs

Casey - How To Disappear

Afterglow - Inward

The Last Dinner Party - Prelude to Ecstasy 

Eliza McLamb - Going Through It

Ghost Atlas - Dust of the Human Shape

Being As An Ocean - Death Can Wait

Infant Island - Obsidian Wreath

Moving Boxes - The Things We Leave Behind

Sleater-Kinney - Little Rope

Fairly enjoyed discovering new artists. Hope to continue throughout the year. Afterglow and Eliza McLamb being the two most enjoyable that I wasn't aware of prior to their albums this year - feel the latter could garner a decent following if she can get in front of the Phoebe Bridgers/boygenius crowd.

Listened to the Eliza McLamb album based on this and loving it, so cheers!

New J Mascis is rather disappointing. It’s a ‘full band’ LP (bloke from the B52’s on keys, J did the drums) and kinda like an acoustic Dinosaur Jr album, but less fun than that sounds. Also the ‘acoustic’ guitar parts (there’s the obligatory big solo on most of the tracks) are way down in the mix while the vocals are way up which is definitely the wrong way round. 

The Last Dinner Party record sounds like Kate Bush doing an album of ABBA covers.   The production is absolutely unreal - for a debut album to have that kind of financing is quite unusual.  I wish them well but it’s not really my thing.  

On 05/02/2024 at 12:52, Savage Henry said:

The Last Dinner Party record sounds like Kate Bush doing an album of ABBA covers.   The production is absolutely unreal - for a debut album to have that kind of financing is quite unusual.  I wish them well but it’s not really my thing.  

I liked it more than I thought I would on first listen but as ive given it a few more goes, there's only a couple songs really standing out. Sinner is very Pulp- like. I prefer English Teacher, listening to a lot of their releases and looking forward to the album.

Sprints and Sleater-Kinney top two releases for me so far this year 

• 2 weeks later...

Hurray for the Riff Raff’s The Past Is Still Alive is, to my mind, a welcome return to form after the poppier sound of the last couple.  

Hawkmoon will be my single of the year by a mile, I’d imagine.   Catchy as hell, and as I say, the best thing they’ve put out since The Navigator.