Elgin City vs The Hamilton Globetrotters (Tuesday, 30th Jan)

8 hours ago, RutherGlen said:

You guys can scapegoat Leighfield all you want but I'm still seeing some pretty awful defending in the build up to these goals. Yes, he's a poor keeper but if anyone thinks we're bottom of this league due to the goalkeeper they need their head examined. 

He is a factor in it of course but I'd say there are far more serious issues which have contributed to where we find ourselves. 

On a side note, I think the chairman should issue a public and personal apology to any Clyde fan who made the effort to attend tonight's game. Sickening enough witnessing it via BBC updates from the comfort of my home, imagine freezing your arse off on a school night up in deepest darkest Elgin. Doesn't bear thinking about. 

goalie deserves nothing but stick for that. the ball had very little pace and went right to his hands at chest height, but he fumbles it and costs his team vital points in a survival fight.  

Agree with everything said about how good Elgin were. Clyde's goal was lucky (still counts) with the player kicking the ball over his head and catching McHale off his line. Great immediate reaction to get the equaliser, when in the past, heads would have been down.

Also surprised like Elgin Macca that the penalty claim hasn't been mentioned. The fact that the ref allowed the goal kick to be taken and then called it back and gave a corner.

Fair play to the Clyde fans travelled.

That was hugely disappointing to say the least, I've deliberately not read any of the previous posts as yet and will do after posting this through continued frustration. This was an opportunity to gain ground on the teams immediately above us and we failed massively. The fact that we rarely laid a glove on them throughout the match is mind boggling after such hard working and determined performances over the last few weeks. Huge credit to Elgin who showed willingness to win the battle, which we were for some apparent reason devoid of doing so. Season campaigners of Cooper, Cameron, Dingwall and Draper helped immensely with decent performances from Gallagher and Golding to note. How we didn't exploit the frailties of Draper at the back is infuriating, why would you constantly lump the ball in the air to Allan!! we failed to knock the ball on the deck, that was imo was the way you were going to penetrate Elgin last night. We did that in few occasions until the final ball/pass. Lyon, Leitch, King, Hynes and Dunachie in no particular order were devoid of any decent passes and were all caught out in possession on numerous occasions!. Bomb-scare goalkeeping needs addressing, that drop/fumble ball for the winning goal was unforgivable. Anyway 15 games to go and points need to be gain rapidly by whatever means/tactics/battle/guts/determination/belief/willingness/heart. All credit to the 70+ Clyde fans travelling last night who sang and supported the team throughout. 7 points to gain on the teams above, ffs Clyde no time to lose now and start winning the head-to-heads against the likes of Forfar x2, Stranraer x2, EF x1 and Elgin x2. Shite I'll be there on Saturday🫣 

1 hour ago, gordon9736 said:

As an aside, after last night's game, what are the Clyde fans' view on Rob Jones? Personally, and I think most Elgin fans would agree, he's made a difference to the team.

One of the worst Clyde players I’ve ever seen and I’ve been going for 25+ years.

The second is calamitous from Leighfield. The first is a decent strike and there's no shame in conceding goals like that in isolation. However, a good goalkeeper will also save shots like that and Leighfield just doesn't.

Went through BBC match stats for all league games where Leighfield has started. I make it 77 shots faced, 38 saves. Save percentage of 49%.

That's fag packet maths and doesn't take into account things like how good the opportunities opposition are getting. Even still, that's an alarming figure over the course of more than half a season.

2 hours ago, gordon9736 said:

As an aside, after last night's game, what are the Clyde fans' view on Rob Jones? Personally, and I think most Elgin fans would agree, he's made a difference to the team.

Woeful.  Lazy, and when he did try he looked like Bambi on ice.  I had heard that he had gone to Finn Harps and scored twice in 12 appearances.   If that be the case, then his game has certainly improved.  Though who would want a striker with that goal to game ratio?

3 hours ago, gordon9736 said:

Looked like the striker he should be last night, holding the ball up well, good layoffs, and winning headers. 

The Rob we know was only evident in the pass he made straight into touch, the only mistake I remember him making last night.

We were very poor last night, especially in the 2nd Half, and even given Leighfields mistake, had the feeling Elgins winner would have come anyway.

4 hours ago, gordon9736 said:

He’s a striker that’s scored 13 goals in 126 career appearances. The fact that he’s still playing professionally after what we seen before he went to Ireland is baffling.

That said, I love a turnaround, so I’m glad he seems to be doing fine now and you think highly of him.