Pavement Parking

11 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

afaik, Highland council are doing it next, I think Glasgow are also looking to implement a version - but in targeted areas (so, in reality the result will be similar as here).

I wondered if they'd go for an target area based approach.  There is part of Newcraighall where the pavements are huge and folk park there with loads of space for pedestrians.  It doesn't directly affect us at home as we have a driveway, but we quite often meet up with friends in Portobello and parking is an issue.  I think I'd feel pretty hacked off if I lived in an area where pavement parking is not permitted and received a fine, if people parking on pavements in other places in the same council area received no fine.

It should also be remembered that folk with health issues use cars as well. Anyone who has health issues but can't reach the Blue Badge threshold will also be snookered looking for places to park as well.  

Edited by Salt n Vinegar

Ban cars from all areas considered City/Town Centre (expanding to suburban centres like Portobello for larger cities) except for a circular route on the outside with car parking facilities for visitors. Pedestrian priority with buses, taxis and people with blue badges on roads in those areas. If you live in a heavily urbanised area with access to facilities and reliable public transport you can have a car but I'm afraid you'll have a bit of a walk to be able to access it. Any car parked on a kerb or otherwise obstructing a definitive pedestrian walkway to be clamped, lifted and cubed. No appeals.

Sorted

22 minutes ago, throbber said:

I was In Portobello earlier in month and wanted to get parked and was on the high street and saw a vacant space that was to my left, that said , the car at the opposite side of the road was indicating right to the same space even though it was on my side of the road. I was planning on pleading ignorance and just taking the space anyway but the car violently beeped at me so I shat the bed and drove away. Would I have had right of way to take the space in that circumstance seeing as it was on my side of road?

Last time I drove to Portobello I just parked in the Co-Op car park near the beach, they only give you those made up parking tickets you can ignore.

The issue is that lots of Edinburgh was designed when people didn't own cars and certainly didn't own more than one car.  My mother-in-law lives in a mostly former council estate and it's absolutely jam-packed with parked cars both sides all the time.  Our estate was built later and is a bit better but still loads of people parked on the road.  

As noted, pavement parking causes real problems for wheelchair users and people with children in buggies.  My wife used to work as a carer and when she was taking wheelchair users out she found it very frustrating to have to negotiate pavement parkers, sometimes you need to go into the road to get past.  Same as when our boy was in a buggie.

There's been a lot of publicity about the pavement parking ban in Edinburgh but it's worth noting that there is no additional enforcement budget so you'll only get fined if you get caught by a traffic warden or copper.  That means that effectively you are free to do it in most of the city - in our estate and the areas around my boys school there's no double yellows so there's no traffic wardens to stop pavement parking. 

This is surely an absolute gold mine for councils with tight budgets. Can council traffic wardens also ticket cars parked contravening the highway code, or is that only the police? Because that's another treasure trove of cash waiting to be tapped into.

27 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

People who cross to the wrong side of the road to park are oftw in my view - they are always the twats that halt the traffic when they want to come out against the flow.

Also - finders keepers, snooze you lose etc etc !

C****s on the road for that sort of behaviour. Does my head in.

9 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

A huge contribution to the problem is grown up children not being able afford their own houses. A family down the road from me have 4 kids in their 20's who all drive as well as the parents cars and his work van.

The country is fucked.

Alternatively if they didn't spend all their money on cars they might be able to afford somewhere to live,

4 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Pay people a lump sum to convert their front garden into a car park.

When I worked in the centre of Edinburgh in a car-park less office quite a few of my colleagues rented car parking spaces in nearby blocks of flats.

The biggest problem I see in those pictures is too shallow a kerb. The pavement problem is almost non-existent in most of the U.S., mainly due to narrower sidewalks/pavements, more/better off street parking at residences, mandated spaces with apartments and wider roads. With the narrow roads and wide pavement, would it not be an option to simply widen the roadway to support on street parking (at least on one side), install a higher, hard kerb and tow any c**ts that mount it to park or parks obstructing it?

Wide pavement is just inviting self-entitled gits to use it unless you install hard landscaping to prevent that, and/or serious kerbs…and even then, the kerbs don’t do squat to stop those urban assault SUV’s. In the end, it’s an urban planning issue that goes back to streets designed before the automobile.

1 hour ago, mathematics said:

I’ve been on to my council about this, as it drives me mental. Their reply: we don’t have anyone to enforce this law.

Enforcing the law would create revenue for you stupid fucks.

Does this council have no parking attendants/ traffic wardens? Surely that's all you need.

I'm pretty sure there are pavements in some Dundee streets that were specifically designed (I think?) to have space for cars as well so not sure whether these would be covered?

Example below;

Screenshot_20240130_154505_Maps.jpg

Not my street but not too far away.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

29 minutes ago, 101 said:

Does this council have no parking attendants/ traffic wardens? Surely that's all you need.

They should have wardens/attendants to cater for all the roads where there are current restrictions.  This is adding a whole new bunch of roads which would need patrolled = not enough attendants currently.

30 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I'm pretty sure there are pavements in some Dundee streets that were specifically designed (I think?) to have space for cars as well so not sure whether these would be covered?

Example below;

Screenshot_20240130_154505_Maps.jpg

Not my street but not too far away.

Dundee City Council launched a consultation on potential exemptions, where pavement parking will be allowed (either the whole car or two wheels).

https://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/footway_exemptions_drawings_0.pdf