Pavement Parking

17 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I’m not for a second going to defend the SUV wankers.

The implication that public transport is the same for everyone and that not living somewhere with good transport is an always a person’s own fault is what I’m calling out. You could say that it’s spoken like someone who grew up in a central belt town with an abundance of train stations and is assuming that absolutely everyone has had the same life experience.

It's not assuming that absolutely everyone has that experience - it's simply stating what is the case for the overwhelming majority of people, who live in a highly dense urban area called the Central Belt. Which is where the overwhelming majority of paid employment exists too. And where the overwhelming majority of housing stock - especially, affordable housing stock - exists. Not a fucking croft in Dunvegan or somewhere.

The OP is discussing pavement parking in Edinburgh which is Scotland's supposed 'capital' city. There is really no legitimate need to own and use a private car in Edinburgh. It is certainly more convenient to have it in many cases, but personal convenience should not magically shield anyone from public policy.

Edited by vikingTON

Tbh if they were really that bothered about pavement parking it would be points and a fine. 

In fact, if they were really, really bothered about half the issues with people's parking etc points would be the way to go. 

Imagine the absolute riddy saying you got a driving ban, 12 points cause you park like a p***k. 

7 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Not having a driveway, carpark or a garage should automatically bar you from owning a vehicle IMO.

It’s that time again.

I call it a runway (I know I know). It seems to be a select Kilwinning thing with a few people my age. However definitely in the minority.

No I don’t have a plane and once again I will say I know.

40 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

It’s that time again.

I call it a runway (I know I know). It seems to be a select Kilwinning thing with a few people my age. However definitely in the minority.

No I don’t have a plane and once again I will say I know.

aita-for-parking-my-private-747-in-the-driveway-v0-gd1vmsro3pva1.jpg

Edinburgh, Draft Transit 2030 Plan, Internal to Edinburgh travel: Automobile 36% Bus 34% Train 1%

Now, as I remember from school, 36 > 34+1. It would seem a majority of those using powered transit within Edinburgh might disagree with your position. From all areas external to Edinburgh, the lowest Auto use percentage is 56% from the NorthWest suburbs, with others reaching 85%.

As for your interesting theory on paid employment, simply because a location is within the “Central Belt”, it far from assures that there is any reasonable way to get to and from that location via mass transit. You assert that the Central Belt is the be all and end all for affordability, Edinburgh actually ranks poorly, and it’s Inverclyde (granted, part of the belly of Glasgow, sagging over the belt) the that gets the plaudits…however, using mass transit within that area to get to “the jobs” isn’t as easy as you make it out. Greenock Central to Glasgow Central is easy enough,  as long as you work conventional hours and at a job close to there. Your affordable home had better be with a good connection too.

Just because YOU don’t see a need for a vehicle, doesn’t make it unnecessary for others, as people and families have widely varying needs and responsibilities. If you work a late shift in Glasgow, you’re f**ked getting home to Inverclyde.

2 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

I must have missed this 

Assuming you're not being sarcastic, yes, you must have.

Just now, MazzyStar said:

I was being serious. I honestly don’t remember getting taught that at school. 

When did you go to school?

1 minute ago, MazzyStar said:

Within the last decade

Then you were definitely taught it. It's part of the maths curriculum. Not to mention extra stuff in PSE and the likes.

Besides which, 99% of personal finance is just adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing with a bit percentages thrown in. It's basic, basic stuff to anyone willing to learn about it - which is where most of the problems are, in that not a lot of folk are willing to learn about it.

Just now, Gaz said:

Then you were definitely taught it. It's part of the maths curriculum. Not to mention extra stuff in PSE and the likes.

Besides which, 99% of personal finance is just adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing with a bit percentages thrown in. It's basic, basic stuff to anyone willing to learn about it - which is where most of the problems are, in that not a lot of folk are willing to learn about it.

Yeah I know it’s basic stuff. Don’t really remember much of what I got taught in maths. I do remember having a supply teacher who would be pushing 70 telling us with glee about when he used to be able to beat kids. I’m sure we were getting taught Pythagoras and he basically admitted that he didn’t have a clue so put a YouTube video about the stock market on instead. 

4 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Maybe the teachers just taught it poorly.

What is PSE?

58 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Edinburgh, Draft Transit 2030 Plan, Internal to Edinburgh travel: Automobile 36% Bus 34% Train 1%

Now, as I remember from school, 36 > 34+1. It would seem a majority of those using powered transit within Edinburgh might disagree with your position. From all areas external to Edinburgh, the lowest Auto use percentage is 56% from the NorthWest suburbs, with others reaching 85%.

As for your interesting theory on paid employment, simply because a location is within the “Central Belt”, it far from assures that there is any reasonable way to get to and from that location via mass transit. You assert that the Central Belt is the be all and end all for affordability, Edinburgh actually ranks poorly, and it’s Inverclyde (granted, part of the belly of Glasgow, sagging over the belt) the that gets the plaudits…however, using mass transit within that area to get to “the jobs” isn’t as easy as you make it out. Greenock Central to Glasgow Central is easy enough,  as long as you work conventional hours and at a job close to there. Your affordable home had better be with a good connection too.

Just because YOU don’t see a need for a vehicle, doesn’t make it unnecessary for others, as people and families have widely varying needs and responsibilities. If you work a late shift in Glasgow, you’re f**ked getting home to Inverclyde.

The fact that people choose not to use public transport in Edinburgh does not mean that the public transport in Edinburgh is not adequate. In fact, it's literally the point. I have sympathy with people who live in places which are detached from the public transport networks, even within the central belt, but Edinburgh is not such a place. It has an extensive bus network, trams, two mainline train stations and ever increasing cycle paths. It's also small enough that you can basically walk from one end to the other in little more than an hour.

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I drive to work and just checked how long it would take via public transport.  I'd have to walk to the station, probably 20 minutes, then a 20 minute journey then get the shuttle bus into the office.  It would actually be quite pleasant on a nice day.

Difficulty is that I wouldn't be able to get home in time to see my wee boy before bed, so I won't be embracing it.  I have colleagues in London who leave before their family get up and arrive home after they are all in bed, seems miserable.  I don't really enjoy driving and would prefer to take public transport but family has to come first.

What time do you finish?

How long would it take to get back home using public transport?

7 hours ago, TxRover said:

The biggest problem I see in those pictures is too shallow a kerb. The pavement problem is almost non-existent in most of the U.S., mainly due to narrower sidewalks/pavements, more/better off street parking at residences, mandated spaces with apartments and wider roads. With the narrow roads and wide pavement, would it not be an option to simply widen the roadway to support on street parking (at least on one side), install a higher, hard kerb and tow any c**ts that mount it to park or parks obstructing it?

Wide pavement is just inviting self-entitled gits to use it unless you install hard landscaping to prevent that, and/or serious kerbs…and even then, the kerbs don’t do squat to stop those urban assault SUV’s. In the end, it’s an urban planning issue that goes back to streets designed before the automobile.

The US has essentially no 'sidewalks' and has turned over 50% of its land to free parking lots. That's why you don't see a pavement parking problem. 

And bloody hell, you'd widen the roads to solve the problem? What a wonderfully American solution.

5 hours ago, Empty It said:

I've never understood the irrational hatred some people have for everyone using a vehicle, a proportion of car drivers are just lazy b*****ds, see parents driving less than a mile to drop/pick up their kids from school every day but for a lot of people personal vehicles are necessary for commuting due to our public transport being shit, unreliable and expensive. They should try getting a decent reliable public transport service instead of trying to punish every driver on the road.

You answered your own question there, no? As others have said, Edinburgh's public transport is not the problem here.

The pavement parking ban is great in theory, but it'll be down to how strongly it's enforced or it'll be back to 'normal' in no time.

8 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Edinburgh public transport is great apart from 1 thing.  The fucking airport tax.  Why does the cost of a journey more than double from the stop before the airport to the airport?

I walked from the Ingliston stop to the airport last summer. Martin Lewis would be proud of me.

45 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It's also small enough that you can basically walk from one end to the other in little more than an hour.

I think that's a slight exaggeration.

image.thumb.png.377c72544c8b2463513bd88eab0bdc8d.png