Long term travelling

Iminavest

I quit my job just after I turned 22 and left to go travelling for 6 months. Ended up away travelling and living/working in different countries for 6 years before meeting my Mrs and the ramifications of Brexit meant I had to move to Ireland rather than go back to Scotland.

Long-term travelling is an excellent way of taking lots of drugs and drinking lots of alcohol whilst working in dead-end jobs and not feeling bad about yourself for it. You'll also most likely become more confident in yourself and able to project yourself better, which can then feed into your employability when you decide to settle down again and take life a bit more seriously.

Would recommend.

Edited by Barry Ferguson's Hat

the righteous truth is there ain't nothing worse than some fool lying on some third-world beach in spandex psychedelic trousers smoking damn dope and pretending he getting consciousness expansion. I want consciousness expansion, I go to my local tabernacle and I sing!

4 hours ago, Iminavest said:

Have any P&Bers ever quit their job to go travelling?

Given the choice, would you do it again?

Are you still travelling now?

Over to you P & B

Never stay in the same place too long.

Never tell anyone your real name.

Always have a go-bag handy.

Never fall in love.

This link should provide help on which countries you should avoid - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/extradition-processes-and-review#extradition-to-the-uk

Stay safe, brother.

10 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Never stay in the same place too long.

Never tell anyone your real name.

Always have a go-bag handy.

Never fall in love.

This link should provide help on which countries you should avoid - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/extradition-processes-and-review#extradition-to-the-uk

Stay safe, brother.

Pretty much this. You'll meet loads of people from all sorts of backgrounds, some are spot on but as is the norm there are plenty ars*holes too.

Don't follow the crowd, keep your wits about you and enjoy !

My pal and his bird jacked their jobs to go to Australia for a year. Basically spent their time either working or bevvying. 

They absolutely loved it and think they’re planning on going back later this year.
Thoroughly research wherever you plan to go though, my pal nearly had a heart attack when he seen the price of fags and booze in Sydney 

Thanks for the input!

In short, I have a relatively stress free job that pays quite well and have paid off my flat. 

Taking a year to travel would almost certainly mean returning to a significant wage drop.

Met a young couple on a cruise who lived out of a suitcase.  They had all their worldly possessions in a suitcase each and could work remotely from anywhere in the world.  They would travel to a country, enjoy it for a period of time and then move on. When we met them they were thinking about having a baby and trying to decide whether to settle down or continue with their travelling lifestyle.

Done it a number of times, technically currently doing it (my four months though) but managed to get my old job back.

The opportunity cost for me was always pretty low as until recently I've only ever had entry level jobs.

Long-term travel is very different from going to another country and working, and of course a year in Australia is very different from a year spent roaming ten different countries.

Rather than think about where you want to go, write a list of things you want to achieve/see/experience. Post the list up here and you'll be sure to get some good recommendations.

There is a whole culture now dedicated to being a “digital nomad/entrepreneur.
The internet has certainly helped people to work remotely cross borders.

If possible to build up some passive income. Someone I met recently had quit her well paid job at Microsoft and now has 8 Airbnb properties that she runs remotely. She was in her 20s. She obviously only quit her job once her passive income was enough to sustain her lifestyle.

Edited by Molotov

3 hours ago, Molotov said:

There is a whole culture now dedicated to being a “digital nomad/entrepreneur.
The internet has certainly helped people to work remotely cross borders.

If possible to build up some passive income. Someone I met recently had quit her well paid job at Microsoft and now has 8 Airbnb properties that she runs remotely. She was in her 20s. She obviously only quit her job once her passive income was enough to sustain her lifestyle.

Late 80s early 90s when did my backpacking I used to love meeting folk in some random hostel in Sydney and them telling you about some boozer in Bangkok and they would be there some week in about 3 months and then walking in 3 months later to see them sitting there and them going here we got you a pint but your late was some buzz,whilst the Internet is fantastic I'm glad I missed it in my mega travelling days .Hostels and Irish pubs were the Internet 

If you fancy the states I did this for a year and drove coast to coast 7 times in total 

https://www.nichepursuits.com/get-paid-to-drive-a-car-across-the-country/

Edited by doulikefish

Yeah done it once and totally recommend it for a few months. Longer term a cousin of mine and her husband saved up for a couple of years and did a round the world trip on two separate occasions and said it was the best thing they had ever done.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/01/2024 at 06:39, GTG_03 said:

Pretty much this. You'll meet loads of people from all sorts of backgrounds, some are spot on but as is the norm there are plenty ars*holes too.

Don't follow the crowd, keep your wits about you and enjoy !

You will meet other privileged white people from first world countries, it's good fun but don't pretend it's all that cosmopolitan. you will only get as diverse as other Europeans or their decedents from the new world.   People from many of the countries that are popular for this, they could never do that with their passports  

14 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

You will meet other privileged white people from first world countries, it's good fun but don't pretend it's all that cosmopolitan. you will only get as diverse as other Europeans or their decedents from the new world.   People from many of the countries that are popular for this, they could never do that with their passports  

Well you'll also meet loads of locals from whatever place you're at. So the idea you'll only meet other white Europeans is a bit nonsense.