Billionaire to Invest in Hibs

In terms of infrastructure it sounds good. New hospitality bar in the famous five stand along with the new safe standing section are both positives. Indoor pitch at East Mains will also help when the weathers shite, which is 99% of the time over there.

Having a few million to spend in the summer initially sounds exciting until I think about the mountain of cash we’ve wasted over the past couple of years signing total dross. Hopefully Foley and his group can help a wee bit in regards to player recruitment as well as giving us the cash to finance the deals.

I would say 'cautiously optimistic' about this.

The Gordon family have failed on the pitch and in the manager's chair so far but off the pitch, they've made huge strides forward and our much maligned CEO can certainly sell the club to sponsors and investors better than any previous CEO we've ever had. The Gordons have also delivered on all their off field promises so far in the original 5 year plan, despite the setback that COVID caused. 

It was interesting that the SFA wanted assurances that Hibs wouldn't be blocked from competing in Europe as a result of this transaction, which to me is a good sign that this isn't a purely feeder club arrangement, although yes, we're all feeder clubs for bigger teams.

We won't trouble the OF stranglehold with anytime soon, but we might be able to give them more of a game now and more importantly, it allows us to not get left behind by Aberdeen and Hearts.

Most of all, just about anything is better than the abject mediocrity we're served up most of the time. I'll take expensive disaster over that any day.

Stadium upgrades, training ground upgrades and increased player budget. All from a guy whose legally prevented from directly governing us.

What's not to like? 

There's being a feeder club and being a feeder club.  If it was us my worry would be that if you're directly feeding one chain, do you get the maximum value for any real assets, or do you accept that the drip feed of cash means you might lose someone for under their true value, maybe lose some sell on value etc.  

Additionally, you're clearly going to be getting Bournemouth players to develop.  That might be good or or might be bad - the worry is it's bad for Hibs but good for Bournemouth what say would you have in changing it.  Maybe Hibs have scouted all of Britain to settle on Owen Bevan, but who knows

Edited by Insert Amusing Pseudonym

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

Much of the initial money is being spent on improving infrastructure - An indoor astro dome at East Mains, a fan bar will be built in the East Stand, rail seats being installed in the Famous Five, and more hospitality in the same stand. 

Hang on, why has it only just come to my attention that Hibs train on a farm?

image.thumb.png.22a28ac5301149530de129ee16a68e8b.png

8 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

There's being a feeder club and being a feeder club.  If it was us my worry would be that if you're directly feeding one chain, do you get the maximum value for any real assets, or do you accept that the drip feed of cash means you might lose someone for under their true value, maybe lose some sell on value etc.  

Additionally, you're clearly going to be getting Bournemouth players to develop.  That might be good or or might be bad - the worry is it's bad for Hibs but good for Bournemouth what say would you have in changing it.  Maybe Hibs have scouted all of Britain to settle on Owen Bevan, but who knows

Our first CH target was a guy from Sunderland who Montgomery was worked with before. Sunderland blocked that so we appear to have asked Bournemouth if they've got anyone they don't want. 

On your point about losing players below their true value, our player sales figure over the last 10 years has hardly allowed us to line the boardroom with gold, so not worried about that either. We've developed one player (McGinn) worthy of EPL status in recent years. The Foley deal is hardly going to block the flow. 

My understanding is that we're free to trade with whomever we want. Given that we've brought in a player from Hertha Berlin and another that McDermott knows, this month, that seems to bear out for the time being.

As I say, 'cautiously optimistic' 

25 minutes ago, Tommy Tappin said:

Our first CH target was a guy from Sunderland who Montgomery was worked with before. Sunderland blocked that so we appear to have asked Bournemouth if they've got anyone they don't want. 

On your point about losing players below their true value, our player sales figure over the last 10 years has hardly allowed us to line the boardroom with gold, so not worried about that either. We've developed one player (McGinn) worthy of EPL status in recent years. The Foley deal is hardly going to block the flow. 

My understanding is that we're free to trade with whomever we want. Given that we've brought in a player from Hertha Berlin and another that McDermott knows, this month, that seems to bear out for the time being.

As I say, 'cautiously optimistic' 

All fair enough and time will tell.  There's still plenty Hearts fans who think the Romanov approach was a success, so on-field victories go a, long way

With regards to the theory Hibs will just become a feeder club - does that theory not ignore the fact that any Hibs player would have to agree to be sold to Bournemouth?  A Hibs player on a 2 year deal would still be free to refuse such a move and wait on a bigger club coming in with a better deal or simply remain at Hibs.

I understand Hibs may end up with more loan player from Bournemouth but if they are not as good as the players already at Easter Road presumably they will not get significant game time.

1 hour ago, Shadow Play said:

With regards to the theory Hibs will just become a feeder club - does that theory not ignore the fact that any Hibs player would have to agree to be sold to Bournemouth?  A Hibs player on a 2 year deal would still be free to refuse such a move and wait on a bigger club coming in with a better deal or simply remain at Hibs.

I understand Hibs may end up with more loan player from Bournemouth but if they are not as good as the players already at Easter Road presumably they will not get significant game time.

Yep, I reckon there will be far more players coming our way than going to them, given that they play at a higher level. 

The equation seems simple. A Bournemouth player sat in their reserves does not increase his value to Bournemouth. A Bournemouth reserve player capable of playing European football for Hibs does, whether directly for Bournemouth's first team or in being sold.   

Edited by Tommy Tappin

4 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Some people use the term "Feeder Club" as if its a negative..........but lets be honest, we are all feeder clubs and Scottish football is pretty low on the cash food chain as it is. Hibs fans and St Mirren fans have been desperately hoping that John McGinn gets a mega move in order that we get some more crumbs from the EPL table.

There is a massive difference between being at a lower rung on the food chain but still retaining the autonomy to buy and sell wherever we want and the situation Hibs are likely now in. When Killie sign a new player or sell a promising talent, the entire decision making process by the club will be about maximising the benefits to our club. From now on at Hibs, these strategic decisions are also going to also involve an element of what will work for Bournemouth or Lorient or whichever other club these guys get their claws into, and those aren't always aligned with what is best for Hibs.

17 minutes ago, Tommy Tappin said:

Yep, I reckon there will be far more players coming our way than going to them, given that they play at a higher level. 

The equation seems simple. A Bournemouth player sat in their reserves does not increase his value to Bournemouth. A Bournemouth reserve player capable of playing European football for Hibs does, whether directly for Bournemouth's first team or in being sold.   

A Bournemouth player not capable of playing for Hibs will also be increasing their value by being out on loan getting games, even if they're playing badly.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

A Bournemouth player not capable of playing for Hibs will also be increasing their value by being out on loan getting games, even if they're playing badly.

We've got plenty of players who aren't capable of playing for Hibs now. At least the Bournemouth gadgy will be FOC.

Football is a partisan thing and (most) Hibs fans will defend this to the hilt. Just the way it is.

The pitfalls are obvious though.

Hibs fans are currently falling over themselves to assert that "we're all feeder clubs anyway!!!", but, as pointed out by Craigkillie above, this is a massive false equivelance on their part. Simple example being Hearts with Shankland. If it comes to selling him, we'll be selling him at a time and fee that we consider to be to our advantage. Or we'll keep him. We won't have a big brother elsewhere leaning on us )or outright forcing us) to sell to them when it suits them and for a fee they find convenient.

It's also not clear what leverage Hibs will have to fix things here if they find this does not work to their advantage.

I'm against multi-club groups etc in principal. For me it's akin to the B-Team disgrace. When you have teams participating in a competition whose function is to serve someone else higher up the chain, you devalue that competition. It could be Hibs, Hearts, St Mirren. Doesn't matter. When our clubs lose autonomy that is a bad thing. No ifs or buts.

I doubt this will be the last of these types of things we'll see. But for me it's part of a slow erosion of our game. This is the direction of travel for modern football, but it's one that should be resisted.

Edited by VincentGuerin

One thing I noted from Foley's interview is that his comments about Scottish football and Hibs were all very superficial.

I don't expect him to outline his entire business plan in public etc, but I thought the stuff about "playing hard" etc was quite jarring and weird to hear.

Kieran McGuire has previously talked about English clubs using Scotland as a potential route to get work permits etc, and I feel this is likely to be of more interest to Bournemouth than any success for Hibs. One thing to be clear about is that there is likely to be absolutely no return to speak of from investing regularly in Hibs' team. Same could be said for Hearts or Aberdeen. There's an obvious limit to income, and even the best case (Europa League) is very difficult to achieve. The idea significant money will be dedicated to Hibs maybe making the Europa League from time to time seems a stretch. Why would Foley do that?

A lot of unanswered (and avoided) questions here.

5 hours ago, the jambo-rocker said:

A stronger Hibs tends to lead to an EVEN STRONGER Heart of Midlothian so please, raise that base level. 👍

"Dear Fellow Hearts supporter, 

Isn't it terrible that the Hobos now have some cash to spend. We are therefore urging you to treble your monthly contributions to Federation of Hearts to help Heart of Midlothian FC retain their position as the third farce of Scottish Football. We promise you that we will direct the extra funds to our ever popular manager, Robbie Nielson, so that he can continue getting the team to play in the way that we all know you love...."