Junior players leaving contract to go amateur

Hi,

I run an amateur team. I have had junior players coming to me asking to sign/train because they have been frozen out of their junior side. Problem is their clubs wont release them as the club sec ignores/refuses and quite happy to keep them around on no/reduced wages for the remainder of their contract.

I have read the constitution that players can revert to amatuer status if they have not played in over 30 days by going direct to the SFA? Is that the case or is that only in certain circumstances? Would that then allow them to leave their contract and play amateur?

Seems wrong that players, through no fault of their own, can be denied the opportunity to play football.

I was under the impression that a player can contact the SFA directly to get released … albeit it takes a bit of time. 

I was also under the impression that a player that is registered with a WOSFL or junior club has til the 31st of March to sign amateur and vice versa. 

I’m sure the rules changed to a “deadline” as teams were getting amateur players in to help them near the end of the season.

Someone like @glensmad will probably be able to correct me on all of that 

Plenty of players in the past have said to clubs in West of Scotland Football League to release them as players say going to play with their friends at amateur level but then went to a rival team in the same league for free so may be a lack of trust at some clubs with players unfortunately.

Clubs can't change the wages of a player halfway through a contract without player agreeing or certainly shouldn't be legal to do.

14 hours ago, Vanderbilt said:

Junior forum for this pish 

You are right apologies should have posted it there. Thought it was an Archive.

12 hours ago, Shannon said:

Plenty of players in the past have said to clubs in West of Scotland Football League to release them as players say going to play with their friends at amateur level but then went to a rival team in the same league for free so may be a lack of trust at some clubs with players unfortunately.

Clubs can't change the wages of a player halfway through a contract without player agreeing or certainly shouldn't be legal to do.

Totally get that about releasing players to then join rivals. In our case the player has a long term injury and despite trying his best to return to fitness its not going to be possible and will have to play in a reduced capacity. His club have not paid him anything but he is still bound to them which i thought must surely be illegal?

Thanks for the responses. Ill try help him take this up with the SFA because the way its going with his club sec the club arent going to do anything.

15 hours ago, Juniorfootball123 said:

I was under the impression that a player can contact the SFA directly to get released … albeit it takes a bit of time. 

I was also under the impression that a player that is registered with a WOSFL or junior club has til the 31st of March to sign amateur and vice versa

This was my understanding as well

On 01/02/2024 at 17:54, sf305 said:

Hi,

I run an amateur team. I have had junior players coming to me asking to sign/train because they have been frozen out of their junior side. Problem is their clubs wont release them as the club sec ignores/refuses and quite happy to keep them around on no/reduced wages for the remainder of their contract.

I have read the constitution that players can revert to amatuer status if they have not played in over 30 days by going direct to the SFA? Is that the case or is that only in certain circumstances? Would that then allow them to leave their contract and play amateur?

Seems wrong that players, through no fault of their own, can be denied the opportunity to play football.

He has to hand over kit etc to the club he plays for before the SFA will register him as if he has held on to kit the club can ask the SFA to withhold the registration. That goes for the 30 days to. If the club haven't paid him he can null and void his contact but that takes time with the SFA.