Relegation thread - who's going down?

4 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Very much dependent on how well they recruit in the summer. They’re the best side in League One by a mile obviously, and I think the side they currently have would be fine in this division too, but I don’t believe a team made up of guys like Calvin Miller, Aidan Nesbitt, Coll Donaldson, Tom Lang, Ross MacIver and Gary Oliver is going to be title challengers in the second tier. They’ve all been at this level before, and they weren’t outstanding at it. 

It’s a fair point, but the side McGlynn built which won league one back in 19/20 was in a similar mould. A few additions and one or two departures and I see no reason why the momentum and “good feeling” you get from promotion can’t propel them on to a season at the top end of the table next season.

17 minutes ago, Enigma said:

It’s a fair point, but the side McGlynn built which won league one back in 19/20 was in a similar mould. A few additions and one or two departures and I see no reason why the momentum and “good feeling” you get from promotion can’t propel them on to a season at the top end of the table next season.

Just like the Pars this season....

8 hours ago, Enigma said:

Lack of “decent” manager…

McPake gets allot of stick, but you can't be calling calling him shite and then calling McGlynn decent. 

McGlynn is also an utter dick of a man, so there's that.

9 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

We REALLY need to take points from our couple of games in hand or we are going to be in deep waters with a paper thin squad in the business end of the season.

Agree,  a lot of fans are a bit deluded,  Saturdays game against Ayr was pivotal an old fashioned six pointer,   we have the worst away record in the league and cannot consistently score goals,  that combination takes you down unfortunately..   this will be tough..

2 hours ago, HoBNob said:

McPake gets allot of stick, but you can't be calling calling him shite and then calling McGlynn decent. 

McGlynn is also an utter dick of a man, so there's that.

I won’t deny you that, but for me there’s no question McGlynn is the better manger. Look at the arse McPake has made of recruitment this season, there’s no way McGlynn does that, even on a limited budget you just know he’d find a hidden gem or two and be able to pull a rabbit out the hat in the loan market.

8 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I won’t deny you that, but for me there’s no question McGlynn is the better manger. Look at the arse McPake has made of recruitment this season, there’s no way McGlynn does that, even on a limited budget you just know he’d find a hidden gem or two and be able to pull a rabbit out the hat in the loan market.

Correct. I think it's clear from his time at RR and with us that his players absolutely love the guy too.

Just now, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Correct. I think it's clear from his time at RR and with us that his players absolutely love the guy too.

I know one or two who wouldn't agree with that… but you’re never going to get on with everybody in football.

11 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I know one or two who wouldn't agree with that… but you’re never going to get on with everybody in football.

Aye me for a kick off.  Was a glorious day when we shunted the rapist signer.  Most over rated manager in decades.  L1 is deffo his level.

Glad we've got a decent young manager now that while he is finding his way and making some errors doing so, is looking like taking us up possibly this season but certainly will within 3.

16 minutes ago, Enigma said:

When was the last time McGlynn worked on a limited budget and over achieved with it? That was McGlynn Mk1 at Raith and Livingston putting ball in the channels for Tade and Baird to chase. 

Since his return to management at Raith the second time though is that the case? Since he left yous your fans constantly bring up that made an absolute horlicks with the structuring of contracts that was a pain to deal with after he left, while at Falkirk he's only had success at league one level after bringing in a bunch of mid championship players, are we saying that Spencer etc have been brought in on a limited budget? Looking at that Falkirk squad, how many are hidden gems and how many were championship players who've dropped down due to the wages? 

I am no great fan of McPake at the moment, but if he was to leave tomorrow I absolutely wouldn't thanky you for McGlynn. Apart from the very obvious, and the Goodwillie situation absolutely taints him as a manager and even more so as a person, he genuinely got taken to school last year by McPake. And as every Raith fan is keen to say, McPake isn't very good. 

39 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

When was the last time McGlynn worked on a limited budget and over achieved with it? That was McGlynn Mk1 at Raith and Livingston putting ball in the channels for Tade and Baird to chase. 

Since his return to management at Raith the second time though is that the case? Since he left yous your fans constantly bring up that made an absolute horlicks with the structuring of contracts that was a pain to deal with after he left,

Yeah, the contact situation was apparently a mess but he beat (ironically) Falkirk to the league in 19/20 with what will have been a significantly smaller budget, then came 3rd in the Championship in the Covid season with what will have been one of the smaller full time budgets… it’s the season after that he made a horses arse of things.

He’s undeniably got his faults, and I’d usually be the first to jump on them, but is he a better manager than McPake? For me, yes. Falkirk we’re a basket case when he took over, Peter Grant and Yogi aside you still had the bones of a decent side when you went down to League One, which is a league most full time teams should expect to skoosh anyway. Will he have Falkirk in the top half of the Championship next season? I wouldn’t bet against it.

Edited by Enigma

We definitely did not have the bones of a decent side when we got relegated last time around. Most Pars fans were predicting a play off finish at best, indeed some said we wouldn't even get that far. McPake cobbled together a squad of youngsters on loan (Otoo, Fisher, KRH, Mahon) and added 2 proper decent signings in Hammy and Bene (who Raith fans were keen to tell us league 1 was his level)

McPake is definitely toiling just now and there are several reasons behind that, some he could be blamed for, others entirely outwith his control but I'd rather be relegated with him than have the rape apologist, no amount of Rovers revisionism will change that.

Edited by da_no_1

It'll be a hard road back for Arbroath this season but other than that, it's too tight to call. With other teams showing a marked improvement and the 7 teams above them now cutting each others throats every week, they need a good run of results that look a long way off currently.

I think Dundee United, Raith and Partick are the only teams currently that can feel safe. The teams that emphasise this are Dunfermline and Morton, both have seen runs of results in very different directions and neither have seen a gap build. 

From Ayr's point of view, we have been a lot better since Brown took over, wins against Queens Park and Airdrie, throwing away the game against Dundee United thanks to Albinson chucking two in and a free hit against Rangers, it has been night and day to Bullen, who was clearly lost and out of his depth. Brown made a couple of selection errors on Saturday but wasn't afraid to make the changes, Bullen would most likely have stuck with them, certainly for a lot longer. 

We shifted a lot of shite in the window but the replacements haven't shown up much. We still have only one semi-fit right back who on his day is less than average. We lost Mutch on Saturday, probably for the season so we are at the mercy of Albinson and his growing list of calamities. If we get a few injuries or suspensions in certain areas then we could be in bother. 

I am more confident that we will finish 4th to 7th currently than I was under Bullen. Two games against Raith and Thistle will hopefully show how far we've come or have to go. 

17 hours ago, Trogdor said:

However, there is a lot of football still to be played. We remain reliant on 3/4 really good players and still have persistent weaknesses.

This could be nearly any Championship team. Arbroath and the Pars both “put” themselves into their current positions with utter rancid strings of results that were greatly influenced, of not outright caused, by rashes of injuries. If Ayr and ICT were to each lose their three or four top players for 6-10 weeks, they could replace Arbroath and the Pars at the bottom…as could Airdrie or Queen’s Park, and just possibly Morton (although that would take a Brechin-like closing stretch).

Partick are 99% safe from such a scourge, and Raith and Dundee United have enough in the bank to remain above the fray. Look at what happened to the Rovers essentially from the absence of one player, an absolutely lost January…that kind of thing can happen to anyone in the League.

One only needs to look at how yo-yo the season has been for many teams to understand just how precarious good, or even bad, form can be here. There’s basically 1/3 the season left, and almost certain to be some major, unforeseen event that will shake it all up again.

26 minutes ago, TxRover said:

If Ayr and ICT were to each lose their three or four top players for 6-10 weeks, they could replace Arbroath and the Pars at the bottom…

We lost our complete roster of midfield players in the space of 3 days earlier in the Season.  No sign of Murdoch's return on the Horizon either, one of the leagues most accomplished operators, so I think we've taken our turn.

As Saturday progressed we covered places 5th to 9th, 'As it Stands'

Hold on Tight, its going to be a bumpy ride.

1 minute ago, D.Armour Appreciation Society said:

We lost our complete roster of midfield players in the space of 3 days earlier in the Season.  No sign of Murdoch's return on the Horizon either, one of the leagues most accomplished operators, so I think we've taken our turn.

As Saturday progressed we covered places 5th to 9th, 'As it Stands'

Hold on Tight, its going to be a bumpy ride.

With ICT the only spoiler of a perfect 25/26/27/28/29 lineup from 9th to 5th, this season will almost certainly match the some of the best in history for spectacular dog fights to avoid ninth. I could easily see three teams with a chance on the last day. Even the schedule plays nicely for a bloody finale, with Ayr v Pars, ICT v Morton and Queen’s v Airdrie on the last day. Add the spice of DU v Patrick and Raith v Arbroath for fun at the top…