Hibs v Celtic

9 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

First one is an horrendous challenge, could have been an extremely serious injury for Alistair Johnston, the Hibs booing him being carried off on a stretcher not knowing what day it is really is beyond stupid, reminds me of a similar challenge on Ryan Christie at a semi against Aberdeen about five years ago by, if memory serves me correctly Lewis Ferguson? No penalty as it was in the middle of the pitch but a red card and Christie genuinely looked like he'd done ten rounds in a UFC octagon. 

The second one, I was about four rows from the front slightly to the right of David Marshall's goal as I watched the play so Kyogo was right in my line of vision and seen him being cleared out by the Hibs player as soon as he got his shot away, I must have been one of the few people who shouted for a PK straight away, it's fractionally inside the box so the right call by VAR, a scenario like this is what it is for. 

Hibs fans and others losing their shit here as they just see Celtic getting two penalties including one in stoppage time without acknowledgement that, they are actually both penalties. The same outrage would be shared had it been Rangers and SFA/Old Firm bias reeled out, they are both pretty clear penalties end of the day and Hibs would be screaming for them themselves. 

I've only really seen the goal highlights on my phone briefly so genuinely haven't seen the Boyle incident other than from low down in the away stand at the other end of the pitch, I took it that having reviewed it on VAR and stuck with the original decision that it wasn't a penalty but, genuinely haven't seen it on TV yet so will hang fire till I see it back.

Lewis Ferguson got sent off in 2019 Scottish cup semi for a bad challenge on the edge of the box, might be getting mixed up there. 

3 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

Lewis Ferguson got sent off in 2019 Scottish cup semi for a bad challenge on the edge of the box, might be getting mixed up there. 

Think that was the same match as when Christie had his eye socket broken, pretty sure Aberdeen finished that game with nine men.

7 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

And penalties given after a clash of heads in the area, many examples?   I can't think of a single one. 

There was an almost identical challenge by Boyata on Gary Mackay-Steven in the 2018 League Cup Final. Mackay-Steven wins the ball and a split second later Boyata headers him. Cup Final, Celtic involved, penalty given? Don't be silly.

Mackay-Steven stretchered off.

Edited by kingjoey

7 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

There was an almost identical challenge by Boyata on Gary Mackay-Steven in the 2018 League Cup Final. Mackay-Steven wins the ball and a split second later Boyata headers him. Cup Final, Celtic involved, penalty given? Don't be silly.

Thanks mate, I know I went on a bit on an uneducated rant yesterday but the head clash I don't think I've ever seen given as a penalty before.  I can understand why it was given but up the other end it wouldn't have been. 

Just now, Hoose Rice said:

Thanks mate, I know I went on a bit on an uneducated rant yesterday but the head clash I don't think I've ever seen given as a penalty before.  I can understand why it was given but up the other end it wouldn't have been. 

We were screaming for a penalty on that day back in 2018, but had no real belief we'd get it.

10 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

We were screaming for a penalty on that day back in 2018, but had no real belief we'd get it.

Aye I would be the same tbh.  And then just accept it.  

23 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Didn’t follow his career in New York but there’s an argument to say he never really recovered from that. Seem to remember he was out for months before making a couple of appearances before leaving. 

Don’t think he’s really been up to much since being back in Scotland but could just be the passage of time/age. 

16 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Didn’t follow his career in New York but there’s an argument to say he never really recovered from that. Seem to remember he was out for months before making a couple of appearances before leaving. 

Don’t think he’s really been up to much since being back in Scotland but could just be the passage of time/age. 

Weird career he's had since you boys. Was tremendous potential and sure he supported us as a lad too randomly. 

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

In 2018 I didn't think it was a penalty but I would now today, it was obviously not that long ago but I think even since then attitudes to head injuries are changing a fair bit. Boyata wasn't even massively late iirc going for the ball but if your going in aerially at that speed/momentum you just have to win it cleanly.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think his career was already on the wind down towards the end of his time with us tbh. An undoubtedly talented player and someone I thought  Rodgers might get the best out of but I think he's one of those guys who never had any really drive.  Another who had quite a bad head injury was Dylan Mcgeouch who had his jaw broken not long after breaking through. I don't think there were many parts of his body that he didn't injure though.

Edited by gannonball

Personally think its a penalty with how late & the amount of force , however the argument is correct about not seeing them been given before. I can remember an incident with Gary Mckay Stevens at Aberdeen in the cup final against Celtic which was never given as a penalty & in my eyes should have been. Its the lack of consistency which is the problem.

5 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

He was absolutely flying that season until his injury, even if I did think he was playing for himself rather than the team. Contract year if I remember correctly.

3 hours ago, gannonball said:

In 2018 I didn't think it was a penalty but I would now today, it was obviously not that long ago but I think even since then attitudes to head injuries are changing a fair bit. Boyata wasn't even massively late iirc going for the ball but if your going in aerially at that speed/momentum you just have to win it cleanly.

I think his career was already on the wind down towards the end of his time with us tbh. An undoubtedly talented player and someone I thought  Rodgers might get the best out of but I think he's one of those guys who never had any really drive.  Another who had quite a bad head injury was Dylan Mcgeouch who had his jaw broken not long after breaking through. I don't think there were many parts of his body that he didn't injure though.

Come on now. You didn't think it was a penalty because it was against your team. Now your team received a penalty for a similar incident, you're on board with it. 

There's no way you can suggest that shouldn't have been given in 2018. It's not like the rules changed.

13 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Come on now. You didn't think it was a penalty because it was against your team. Now your team received a penalty for a similar incident, you're on board with it. 

There's no way you can suggest that shouldn't have been given in 2018. It's not like the rules changed.

I will obviously have a bias unconscious or otherwise in favour my team but I'm being honest enough to say if that happened again today against my team it would be a penalty. Partly because of attitudes towards head injuries have rightly been scrutinised more. I appreciate the rules haven't changed but every season clubs get told what certain things are being clamped down on more even if there hasn't been a rule change. 

6 hours ago, kingjoey said:

So based on facts and scientific date, albeit limited, in Scotland that type of tackle in the penalty area results in a penalty to Celtic but not against Celtic.

19 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

So based on facts and scientific date, albeit limited, in Scotland that type of tackle in the penalty area results in a penalty to Celtic but not against Celtic.

justina machado listening GIF by Red Table Talk

On 08/02/2024 at 13:59, Galajambo said:

The Boyle dive was a shocker, he should be hailed before the beaks for that one, but the handball would be reviewed at the other end for sure, and that's the difference. 

Big team found...